Coolant Compatability? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Coolant Compatability?

I recently suffered a radiator failure that led to a dealer replacement radiator with a Motorcraft Gold [VC-7-B] fill in my system without a proper, Gooch-type full flush of the system. I had done the Gooch flush replacing existing Motorcraft Gold with CAT ELC only 8k miles ago. Result is a reddish-gold color, and, obviously, reduced coolant life expectancy given the Ford Gold's limitations. See, for example, Ford TSB 09-08-05, calling for charging Gold with SCA additive [VC-8] depending on test results. I did find a Fleetguard Tech Bulletin [TB-3/05-2, dtd 2005] claiming compatiblity between Fleetguard's OAT ELC coolants [ES Compleat, Fleetcool, etc.] and Ford Gold, CAT LEC, Zerex G-05, etc. The money quote: "there is in fact no technical merit in saying the coolants cannot be mixed." Given this, I lean toward leaving the mix of 'fresh' Ford Gold with some CAT ELC for the next year or two [10-25k miles] before spending the time and money [$100+ for 4 gallons of CAT or Fleetguard ELC] for another Gooch flush'n'fill. Anyone have strong feelings for or against? By the way, I have a coolant filter installed [non-SCA charged] Thx.

2002 F350 Supercab Lariat 7.3L 4x4, 6 spd. AIS, Bilsteins, B&W Turnover Ball gooseneck.
Better Half's daily driver: 2006 M-B 320 cdi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 05:20 PM
International Coal Roller

Re: Coolant Compatability?

I think the CAT ELC is designed to be mixed up to 10% with another coolant, not sure about a mostly Motorcraft mix. I would think the antifreeze and cooling capabilities should be fine with the mix, but I would keep a close eye on the SCA #'s though to prevent any issues. I personally would eat the $100 and change it again, Ive run Motorcraft Gold in several vehicles, diesel and gas, and cant say Im impressed at all, especially with CAT ELC being fairly comparable in price without the SCA issues and having a longer change interval.

02 250 CCLB, 6 spd, PHP Phoenix, ISSPROs, AFE/6637 intake, 4" DE straight exhaust, WW, coolant filter with ELC, AIH delete, ebpv delete, bellowed uppies, 4" on 35's and racelines
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 09:30 AM
PSN Veteran

X2, I'ld go ahead and change it and be done with it. When I did mine and went to International to get the Fleetguard, salesman talked me into the Prestone ELC which was around half the cost of the Fletguard. Told me it was the same just in a different bottle. I've been happy with it and its not to often you get a salesman that wants to save you money lol

2003 F-250 CCLB 7.3L
4" lift and PMF traction bar/block setup running 35s on 20x12s. Intake, exhaust, PHP Hydra w/ Gearhead tunes, gauges
2005 F-350 CCLB 6.0L
6" lift on 20x10s and 37s, studded, deleted, Powermax and Livewire with Quicktricks tunes, exhaust, intake (Wife's Truck)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 03:13 PM
PSN Local

I run Peak Fleetcharge. It is a heavy duty conventional, it comes pre-charged with SCA's. I work for a big rig dealership and I've seen what ELC does, overtime it crystallizes on egr coolers, water pumps etc. A lot of owners drain their ELC and go for standard green with an additive or the heavy duty conventional. Just my 2 cents.

1996 F-350 cclb, H2E, e-fuel, srp1.1, custom tuning, banks intercooler, 3 in plenums, swamps babies, ARP's, comp 910's, Isspro EV2's, rsk v/c codes, 5 inch exhaust, king ranch seats, SD 10.5 axle, swamps idm, 6.0 fan, international w/p, hydroboost, SD trans lines, 6.0 trans cooler,6.0 P.S. pump
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 03:19 PM
PSN Veteran

I run the standard green with the cavitational additive no issues here.

2004 F350 6.0 ECSB Lariat. All the normal stuff
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in