CHEMICALS FOR COOLANT FLUSH??? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
I WANT IT NASTY

CHEMICALS FOR COOLANT FLUSH???

I'm tired of searching, maybe I'm not doing it right but my first question is what chems do I use when I flush my coolant system, second how much of it do I need, third how to do it??? I'm curious to who has used what and how well it worked and how much crap came out??? Thanks fellers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 09:59 PM
PSN Local

Re: CHEMICALS FOR COOLANT FLUSH???

You may want to take a look at this link. Gooch's Coolant Flush Procedure:

Gooch's Coolant Flush Procedure: - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Before you do what I did you may want to check out this link.

Did I damage my waterpump or was it ready to go? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 08:11 PM
PSN Local

Believe it or not, the only "chemical" you need to flush a radiator, is Cascade powdered dishwashing detergent.

Industrial / Big-Rig diesel mechanics have been using it for years.

Drain your radiator at the petcock, fill it back up about 1/2 way, add 1 to 1-1/2 cups of Cascade, then top it off with water.

Get it up to operating temperature and run it (high idle or on-road) for 20 minutes, then flush with tap water.

I work for a company that has a LOT of off-road diesel equipment (CAT, Cummins, Komatsu and etc.....). They utilize this process quite often.

FWIW,....
Cummins Operation and Maintenance Manuals for B Series Diesel Engines: Coolant System Flushing: Use 0.5 kilogram (1.0 pound) of Sodium Carbonate (aka Cascade) for every 23 liters (6.0 gallons) of Water.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 08:24 PM
PSN Local

flushed mine out over the last couple days. 2 nights ago got engine hot and drained out as mush ford gold coolant as ossible and ran engine with the hose in the degas bottle for around an hour draining out of the petcock. next moring put in two bolltes of ford vc-9 ($64.00) and drove to cat dealer to pick up 4 gallons of cat 1 concentrate ($98.00)left in runnung of course and then drove home 35 mile like a bat out of help. drained again at home and reflushed again about 1/2 hour with hose again. next added 2 bottles of prestone flush plus ($15.00) and ran of 1/2 hour at varing rpms and allowed it to reach 200 degrees by mt cts. drained again and began to fill with distilled water 3 1/2 gallons at a time and ran in driveway and allowed to get to 200 degrees each time and would flush and refill for a total of 18 gallons of distilled water (18.00). then drained and refilled with catapillar elc 3 1/2 gallons and toped off with distilled water and have been seeing ect and eot delta around 2-3 degrees different. hope it stays that way, and all the time and trouble and diesel fuel will have been worth it. topped it off today with a little CAT-ELC logo painted on degas bottle and radiator shroud so some idiot at the service center dosnt destroy all my hard work and money..

05 6.0ps excursion, edge color cts, mt classic II's 16x10 with bfg km2's 315/75/16, 5 in lift with dual front shocks, cat elc coolant, straight piped, complete egr delete, updated oil cooler
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 09:25 PM
PSN Veteran

i used prestone coolent flush in my truck my work car, and my wifes lancer.
put prestone 150,000 mile fuild back in have not had any problems out of none of them

2008 got a new flex pipe installed. S-b intake, 4in dp back exhaust, gear head tunes All deletes done now.
flow pro hot pipe. CCV mode.

2013 dodge charger
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 10:13 PM
'05 Excursion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
Believe it or not, the only "chemical" you need to flush a radiator, is Cascade powdered dishwashing detergent.

Drain your radiator at the petcock, fill it back up about 1/2 way, add 1 to 1-1/2 cups of Cascade, then top it off with water.

Get it up to operating temperature and run it (high idle or on-road) for 20 minutes, then flush with tap water.

I work for a company that has a LOT of off-road diesel equipment (CAT, Cummins, Komatsu and etc.....). They utilize this process quite often.

FWIW,....
Cummins Operation and Maintenance Manuals for B Series Diesel Engines: Coolant System Flushing: Use 0.5 kilogram (1.0 pound) of Sodium Carbonate (aka Cascade) for every 23 liters (6.0 gallons) of Water.
That sounded like a good idea until I read that the second chemical is sodium silicate which is what we are trying to get rid of.

SCT, no studs...yet, Dual OEM intake air filter housings, Banks intercooler & intake elbow, Banks exhaust syatem, Windrunner ported intake manifold, Bullet Proof Diesel remote oil cooler & thermostat, AirDog2 (plus a couple spares), Power steering filter (Amsoil dual-bypass), MagTec deep ATF pan, Electric oil pre-lub pump, Dakota Digital gauges.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2012, 12:22 AM
PSN Local

[QUOTE=Copperhead;1790562]Believe it or not, the only "chemical" you need to flush a radiator, is Cascade powdered dishwashing detergent.

This is what we use at the truck dealer I work at and been doing that for quite a while now that way with no problems.

When The Cummin Stops... Powerstroke It!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke 6-speed Just Starting?

2003 F-350 6.0 Powerstroke CC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in