Amsoil??? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Certified Engine Destroye

Amsoil???

My dealer spits some pretty good game on his stuff. Just about has me convinced to switch to it. So what's the general consensus of using this in the 6.0?? I'm up for anything that will save my motor, improve mileage, and reduce number of oil changes.

Studs, SCT, Nitrous Express, ODP RR, Custom Fuel waiting for install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 12:14 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Amsoil???

I run Amsoil in my 7.3.... but from what I read... the oil will sheer too much to go above 5k on a 6.0...making it pointless. I'm currently running 10k on an extended service filter, and plan on 20k+ on a double-bypass. (With UOA support.) You won't be getting better mileage, anyway. Just better cold starts, and longer lasting (vs. Dino) oil.

And IF you decide to go the Amsoil route... buy a "preferred membership" it's much cheaper than buying at retail price.... and $20/year.

JMO

~Tom~ 02 F350 CCSB 4x4 SRW 7.3L, DIY-6637, PHP Phoenix-(STK-80dd-100P-120R-65T-40T) 4" TB-409SS MBRP, GS 3 in 1, EGT/Boost/Tranny, Fisher 8' MM2. Tymar HPX, NON-EBV Pedestal, Turbo Master, Wicked Wheel, Hutch/Harpoon, RR-Plenums/clamps, 203*TS and Billet Housing, ELC, Fumoto, CCV Dumped, Foil, AIH, and EBV, Pontoons All Missing...~AE w/Ford Pack~
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Holy cow your font is loud!

Have the preferred and the single bypass.

What do you mean by sheer?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 12:28 AM
PSN Veteran

Effects of Shearing

~Tom~ 02 F350 CCSB 4x4 SRW 7.3L, DIY-6637, PHP Phoenix-(STK-80dd-100P-120R-65T-40T) 4" TB-409SS MBRP, GS 3 in 1, EGT/Boost/Tranny, Fisher 8' MM2. Tymar HPX, NON-EBV Pedestal, Turbo Master, Wicked Wheel, Hutch/Harpoon, RR-Plenums/clamps, 203*TS and Billet Housing, ELC, Fumoto, CCV Dumped, Foil, AIH, and EBV, Pontoons All Missing...~AE w/Ford Pack~
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

Wow thats really informative. I appreciate that.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

This leads me to more questions though.
How much pressure is involved during shearing at the rod mains and cam compared to the injectors?

I guess what I'm getting at is this page geared more towards a gasoline engine or diesel.

Are our diesels more susceptible to shear than a gasoline engine due to the higher injection pressures and the injection process itself.

And with all this being said it makes wonder if the motor craft oil or rotella is any less or better than the Amsoil and other competeting brands.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 02:54 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by treetechsixOH View Post
This leads me to more questions though.
How much pressure is involved during shearing at the rod mains and cam compared to the injectors?

I guess what I'm getting at is this page geared more towards a gasoline engine or diesel.

Are our diesels more susceptible to shear than a gasoline engine due to the higher injection pressures and the injection process itself.

And with all this being said it makes wonder if the motor craft oil or rotella is any less or better than the Amsoil and other competeting brands.
Oh yeah, the HEUI system from the HPOP to the Injectors causes a lot of shear. Synthetic is more resistant to sheer, which is why it generally lasts longer. The biggest 2 reasons oil needs to be changed in an engine is oil shear (loss of viscosity) and high amounts of soot in the oil. A bypass will help filter the soot out...which is why a proper bypass can extend your oil changes. But the 6.0 system is harder on the oil than the 7.3's.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 03:40 AM Thread Starter

OK cool. That connects a few dots for me. Unfortunately though I'm still on the fence about Amsoil. . . . .

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 04:04 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by treetechsixOH View Post
OK cool. That connects a few dots for me. Unfortunately though I'm still on the fence about Amsoil. . . . .
If it was me, I'd just run Rotella T6. I love Amsoil... but If I'm only getting 5k out of it, it's not worth it, IMO. I still think a full synthetic is much better. That said, if you did the UOA's and they came back positive... by all means switch over. But I don;t know anyone doing much over 506k on a 6.0.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 04:09 AM
I WANT IT NASTY

Why are the 6 liter systems harder on the oil?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode