Why Not Motorcraft? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
02 F250 / 7.3L / 4X4

Why Not Motorcraft?

I know a mechanic that works at ford. He said these trucks are designed to run with motorcraft oil and that's all I should run in my truck. Why do I see a lot of you guys using different oil? Is there a drawback to using motorcraft? I've only ever used motorcraft in my truck and with 175,xxx on the clock its still running as strong as the day I bought it.

02 F250 7.3L CCSB Lariat 4X4
BTS Tranny with 6.0 Cooler
AFE Stage 2
MBRP 4" SS Turbo Back With 6" Tip
Pillar Pod with ISSPRO Boost, Pyro and Trans
TS 6 Position Chip
Icon 4.5" on 35's
Line X Rocker Panels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 03:24 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: Why Not Motorcraft?

Ask the mechanic this question. Why would a motor that is designed and manufactured by Navistar be designed to run with Motorcraft oil? Ford didn't design or build these engines.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 04:31 AM
'05 Excursion

Also Ford does not make it's own oil.

SCT, no studs...yet, Dual OEM intake air filter housings, Banks intercooler & intake elbow, Banks exhaust syatem, Windrunner ported intake manifold, Bullet Proof Diesel remote oil cooler & thermostat, AirDog2 (plus a couple spares), Power steering filter (Amsoil dual-bypass), MagTec deep ATF pan, Electric oil pre-lub pump, Dakota Digital gauges.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
02 F250 / 7.3L / 4X4

Ok, but what are the benefits to using these different oils that I read about? How much better are they really? And I read that you guys say to stick with the motorcraft oil filter, why?

I'm not trying to start an argument, just trying to learn.

02 F250 7.3L CCSB Lariat 4X4
BTS Tranny with 6.0 Cooler
AFE Stage 2
MBRP 4" SS Turbo Back With 6" Tip
Pillar Pod with ISSPRO Boost, Pyro and Trans
TS 6 Position Chip
Icon 4.5" on 35's
Line X Rocker Panels
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 11:21 AM
bring the chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaveF250 View Post
Ok, but what are the benefits to using these different oils that I read about? How much better are they really? And I read that you guys say to stick with the motorcraft oil filter, why?

I'm not trying to start an argument, just trying to learn.
motorcraft filters on a 6.0 have specifics that aftermarket filters dont.

http://youtu.be/uvnTwCujBJE
http://youtu.be/h0Qxec77uIs

check these videos out

as far as oils go. heui injector use crankcase oil to fire the injectors. quality is key.

taking advantages of todays oils(synthetics,etc,etc,) will help any engine run better longer.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 12:40 PM
Caption This

Somewhere there is an oil packaging plant that has an automated line filling bottles with some brand of oil. When they change the line over to package Motorcraft oil, all they change is the bottle.

There is no reason not to use Motorcraft but there are many other brands that are just as good.

If only those who knew what they were talking about replied, this thread would still be on page one.
2000 F-250 CC 4x4 PSD Auto
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 01:06 PM
'05 Excursion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 444-4D View Post
Somewhere there is an oil packaging plant that has an automated line filling bottles with some brand of oil. When they change the line over to package Motorcraft oil, all they change is the bottle.

There is no reason not to use Motorcraft but there are many other brands that are just as good.
That is basically true in most cases. A bottling contract can have a custom additive package.

SCT, no studs...yet, Dual OEM intake air filter housings, Banks intercooler & intake elbow, Banks exhaust syatem, Windrunner ported intake manifold, Bullet Proof Diesel remote oil cooler & thermostat, AirDog2 (plus a couple spares), Power steering filter (Amsoil dual-bypass), MagTec deep ATF pan, Electric oil pre-lub pump, Dakota Digital gauges.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 01:24 PM
PSN Local

It basically boils down to make sure you run a good quality oil and keep it changed.

Clayton

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1995 F-350 Crew Cab 4x4
mods
TS 6 position chip
3 inch down pipe.
4 inch Diamond Eye dual outlet exhaust with cat and muffler delete.
6637 poor boy cold air intake.
Pyro, trans temp and boost gauge.
Scan gauge
Bradford Built Flatbed.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 01:35 PM
Administrator

It states in the manual to use Motorcraft oil or an equivalent
meaning if you use an oil with the same or better ratings your fine

I prefer full synthetic myself but the Racor made Motorcraft filters are known to be the best for our motors

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 04:54 PM
PSN Local

I used Motor Craft in my truck I gave it 3 changes (15k), and I hated it, it doesnt hold a candle IMO to any of the other diesle oils out their. The truck started hard, I had ticking noises, and the truck just didnt feel right...

I went to Valvoline synthetic in the winter and regular Valvoline in the spring time... In my truck this oil works great 2 changes so far,,, Cheers

PS I do love motor craft oil filters

This opinion is just mine...

2000 F 350 SD,4 door XLT Dually 197,000 7.3 Liter V8 Powerstroke
DIY Tymar air intake/ Foil Delete/ Wicked Wheel/ AIH Delete/Stancor GPR /Boost,Pyro,Tranny Gauges
Trucool Tranny Cooler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode