Ball Joint grease, what do you use? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Beef

Ball Joint grease, what do you use?

I wasn't sure to post this here or in the suspension forum so here it is:

What grease are ya'll using for your ball joints?

I'm replacing mine w/ some XRF's and I was thinking about the AMSOIL Synthetic Polymeric Off-Road Grease because "It is engineered to resist pound-out better than other greases in heavily-loaded, extreme-pressure applications"

It was either that or some Ultralube LMX Red which has the GC-LB rating as well.

I was gonna get some white low temp grease for the auto hub o-ring and maybe the amsoil race series for the bearings.

Thoughts?

"New" 05 no payment, all original 305k and runs like a champ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 03:20 AM
Administrator

Re: Ball Joint grease, what do you use?

How are you gong to lube the bearings? assuming your talking UNIT bearing ?
and I wouldn't use low temp grease on anything in a disc brake area it just needs a light coating of the same grease your using for the hubs

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmann View Post
How are you gong to lube the bearings? assuming your talking UNIT bearing ?
very carefully.

Quote:
and I wouldn't use low temp grease on anything in a disc brake area it just needs a light coating of the same grease your using for the hubs
I know, worked w/ bearing and rear axles before, never have done a front auto hub. What I asked about was the auto hub assembly, the bearings and the ball joints. Each one could require a slightly different type of grease. I could just use a single multipurpose grease but if it increases the life of the parts and better suites the application, i'll use 2-3 different types of grease. Being that the last 3 winters saw temps in the -30 range I want my autohubs to work and i do not want to have to lock them manually unless need be.

I will use a high impact/EP grease for the ball joints. It would be stupid to use something that thick in the bearing area. Not only will it increase rolling resistance, it may not work through the needle bearings too well. A less thick #2 grease like the amsoil race grease would be better for that.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 12:45 PM
PSN Veteran

I have xrf joints and since I put them I have been using a soil greese. I use that greese on everything on my truck.

07 ford f250
Josh Vandyke
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 01:33 PM
Administrator

the front bearings are a non serviceable sealed unit bearing
some lube them by pulling out the abs sensor and using an adapter and a grease gun

do some searches the process is a little different on the 05 up and most info on the net is for 05 down but it will give you some ideas search guzzles also

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Beef

I hit guzzles page, wealth of info. Gotta give that guy credit!
Someone here, maybe Tank, pulled the bearing out, found a part # and did a bearing swap. Yanked the old one out and pressed the new one in.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 03:42 PM
Administrator

I have only heard of 1 person claiming they did a unit bearing rebuild and When I asked them for specifics they didn't respond

Timken claims they are non serviceable because of the torque required to recapture all the components

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Beef

Torque recapture?

I wonder if you could grease then freeze the bearings for a few days and then put the hub in the oven. Worked when I did a ring/pinion job.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 10:48 PM
Administrator

you do a write up after you try it ;-)

I do the heat freeze for all kinds of components

but have yet to mess with a unit bearing and it takes a special wrench to get the retaining nut off from what I can tell from the pics

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Beef

I haven't got mine apart yet but hope to this weekend, doing the BJ's. If it an issue I may experiment. Nothing to lose if they whole unit is supposed to be replaced anyway, might as well try.
I'll have some crayons and contruction paper to take notes just in case :)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode