Water in fuel... HELP ME - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
The Fireman

Send a message via AIM to big_stroker Send a message via Yahoo to big_stroker
Water in fuel... HELP ME

I got fuel yesterday and it has a lot of water in it... Light came one about half way home from the station so i just got home and drained the bowl a couple times and the light went off.... now this morning went to start it and it started... got about 1/4 mile down the road and light come on and truck died... drained the bowl about a dozen times and still wont start... what can i do? i had to have dads 96 pull me home.

I plan on buying a new filter after work... and some additives... what are the best for water in fuel and how much fuel do i need to drain to get all the water out... doesn't water settle on the bottom of diesel?

1999.5 F-250 7.3l 4x4 6 spd Ported Heads, Head studs, valve springs, DI Push Rods, DI RR, 38R, Walbro fuel pump, 238cc Injectors from Nate @ Unlimited Diesel and Tuned by Matt @ Gearhead Automotive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 06:21 PM
fueled by Colecovision

Garage
Re: Water in fuel... HELP ME

The first thing to do is call the fuel station, and let them know what you are going through.

Aside from getting the water out of the tanks, lines, filter, heads...you've probably damaged your fuel injectors.

The tolerances between the plunger & barrel assembly are measured in millionths of inches, and any water in the injector itself is going to gall the plungers; which creates small scratches through which the fuel can now leak...

we see this ALL too often. The superduties (after 99) have tungsten coated plunger & barrel assemblies which offer MUCH more protection against galling (when run with water in the fuel), but the early 99s and all 94-97 injectors have uncoated plungers which are easily damaged from water in the fuel.

All of our injectors (for all year trucks) come with tungsten coated P&B's...but will only protect you from small amounts of contaminants in the fuel.

---

as far as what you *actually* need to do to get the system clean & free of water is simple.

drop the tank, empty the tank, clean it out with rags, rins it with clean diesel..drain again.

then while the tank is still out, remove the lines from the fuel filter housing and blow compressed air through them, and all the lines back to the tank, including the tank selector valve.

and once you get all of the contaminated fuel out of the system...you can refill it with fresh diesel, and start it up.

If you dno't have any drive ability issues, then *maybe* the injectors are alright...but that's pretty unlikely, so call the shop such that you can deal with them & their insurance.< they have this type of coverage, which will pay for all of the repairs necessary.

take a sample of the contaminated fuel, along with your fuel receipt back to the store, and then let them handle the repair...

take care~

Dave
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
The Fireman

well this sucks... i am to go on a trip to TN this next week and have no other way to get there...

so what is the water in fuel light there for... to tell you well your injectors and fuel system are (deleted by moderator)

1999.5 F-250 7.3l 4x4 6 spd Ported Heads, Head studs, valve springs, DI Push Rods, DI RR, 38R, Walbro fuel pump, 238cc Injectors from Nate @ Unlimited Diesel and Tuned by Matt @ Gearhead Automotive

Last edited by Tom S; 06-27-2008 at 03:20 AM. Reason: F word

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 08:02 PM
fueled by Colecovision

Garage

(for some reason I thought you had a 97 truck)...so you can disregard some of what I stated previously...

however, your injectors being OK is very doubtful...especially the fact that the truck DIED on you.

Look at how big your fuel filter housing is, and figure that it can only contain about 25&#37; water before it HAS to physically start passing that fuel into the injectors...so yeah...if you ignore repeated Water in Fuel lights or just drain the bowl...with gallons of water in your fuel...then yeah, your injectors are gonna get jacked....just take your receipt to the station, and let them fix it.

And be careful about adding water treatment crap to your fuel....if the product you add is an emulsifier (basically allows the oil & water to mix)...then your fuel filter/ water separator is not going to have a chance at catching ANY of the water...it'll just pass it all to the injectors...

take care~

Dave
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 11:19 PM
PSN Veteran

I had this happen to me on my 96 a few years ago 100 miles from nowhere but I was lucky in that it only happened on one tank. What I did was run the truck with the fuel drain open running into a 1 quart clear pop bottle. Once I saw that there was no more water accumulating into the bottle I shut the valve down. Then about every 10 or so miles the light would come on and I would drain it again. This went on for a couple of days then it would only happen once or twice a tank. So far no problems since then. As far as hurting the injectors I personally don't think that it hurt them since the filter is designed to block the water and not let it pass, that is why you ran out of fuel. When I did it it took a lot of cranking to get the fuel back into the injectors and working.

Jim

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
The Fireman

ITS FIXED!!!!

I jumped the fuel pump... opened up the drain valve and drained about 3 gallons of fuel/water out of the tank... filled the bowl back up with good fuel and cranked it over till the batteries where dead a few times and she came to life... it ran a little rough at 1st but within a couple minuets it cleared out and i ran it to town and put another 10 gals of good diesel in it and a bottle of sea foam... seems to be going just as strong as ever... drove it 50 miles and the water light never has came back on.

But from now on im going to be watching the fist gallon or so diesel coming out of the pump when i get fuel.

Thanks for the help guys

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 12:59 PM
PSN Local

This is why I added a pre-pump filter to my PSD. This is for a 2006 6.0l, but the principle is the same for the 7.3's.

I now have four fuel filters on my PSD, three have water drains, although the two aftermarket are far easier to drain than the OEM HFCM drain.

Good luck.

Al

http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.co...2008-02-25.pdf
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 02:06 PM
PSN Veteran

Did you go back to the fuel station?? What did they say??
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
The Fireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layson View Post
Did you go back to the fuel station?? What did they say??
Oh yeah they said they just got a fill earlier that day must have just been mixing still... nothing they can do about it inless someone else complains so i told them that i would never be back

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode