Anyone had mileage change with oil change? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Outlaw wrench

Anyone had mileage change with oil change?

So I have 2 oil changes on my "new" truck. I run rotella 15w40 in it, mileage went down. replaced both fuel filters twice now. cleaned the air filter and my fuel mileage went from 18.7 to 16.4. I'm not sure what oil the original owner was running in it. I have thought about the synthetics but the 5w40 is,IMO, to thin to use here in AZ during the summer moths when its like 117 outside. I'm also having an injector stiction issue since changing the oil. Anybody else have any similar issues?

My exhaust makes more horsepower than your import!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

03 ccsb fx4 5r110 trans
bulletproof 58v ficm
egr deleted
MBRP 4" straight pipe
zoodad mod
blue fuel spring
edge insight cts monitor only
leveled with 2" add a leaf
bilstien 5100 shocks
new oil cooler/radiator/t stat
EDP direct solenoid
sct with IDP tunes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2011, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Outlaw wrench

Re: Anyone had mileage change with oil change?

Nobody? So no one has experienced this issue? I'm the only person with a six leaker that has had this happen? Somebody?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

03 ccsb fx4 5r110 trans
bulletproof 58v ficm
egr deleted
MBRP 4" straight pipe
zoodad mod
blue fuel spring
bilstien 5100 shocks
EDP direct solenoid
sct with IDP tunes
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 05:03 PM
Exploding the magma

Quote:
Originally Posted by towin stroker View Post
So I have 2 oil changes on my "new" truck. I run rotella 15w40 in it, mileage went down. replaced both fuel filters twice now. cleaned the air filter and my fuel mileage went from 18.7 to 16.4. I'm not sure what oil the original owner was running in it. I have thought about the synthetics but the 5w40 is,IMO, to thin to use here in AZ during the summer moths when its like 117 outside. I'm also having an injector stiction issue since changing the oil. Anybody else have any similar issues?
How is 5w40 too thin? It is a 40 weight at operating temp...with a Kinematic Viscosity of 14.2 mm2/s vs 15.5 for 15w40...not a huge difference and both in the 40 weight range.

I have heard of conventional oil contributing to stiction but I don't own a 6.0 and therefore lack first hand experience. Where are you in AZ? Did they change over to winter fuel?

2002 F-350 ECLB SRW 7.3 4R100
6637 203* t-stat 08 diff cover Stancor HPX 6.0 trans cooler, Zone offroad leveling kit, Western UM 8'6" plow

Sold: 2004.5 Ram 2500 w/ 5.9 CTD, Reg Cab 48re

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Outlaw wrench

South of phoenix. I dont think that they change to a winter blend. Although I have noticed that the one truck stop that I was buying fuel at now has a B5(bio 5%) sticker on the pumps. I only filled up there once since then and have switched to another truck stop. Perhaps I just need to bite the proverbial bullet and switch to synthetic oil.

03 ccsb fx4 5r110 trans
bulletproof 58v ficm
egr deleted
MBRP 4" straight pipe
zoodad mod
blue fuel spring
bilstien 5100 shocks
EDP direct solenoid
sct with IDP tunes
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 04:08 PM
Wondering what if

Valvoline blue (con) or Valvoline Extreme Blue (syn) are some of the recommended oils for our trucks. I use the Extreme Blue. Makes my truck run quieter and overall better than when I was running the Rotella. If your having sticking issues, go to venders alley and post there that your looking for some Rev X. The sponsors will PM you prices. I get my Rev X from Mike's Diesel Performance. As to the B5 at the pumps, I know when I ran Bio fuel, my mileage increase slightly, probably due to the lubrication effects of the bio. I also know that Not all fuel is the same as I get better mileage from Shell Diesel as opposed to Meijer or BP but those are the only three I use around here.

'07 F350 3" lvl, fndrs trmd, 37" M16's
Ultra lites ECT,EGT,EOT Oil and top fuel billet caps
banjo bolts drilled cautiously, ccv, zoodad mods Dieselsite coolant filter
SCT SF3 can tunes

Mike's Diesel Performance
KT Performance
DieselPowerProducts.com
Dieselsite
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 11:32 PM
Village Idiot

Was your driving area the same ie city vs highway.
Winter blend etc..

Early 99 f350 4x4 crew cab, auto. pmt2 pcm
2001 cup holder ,T500, MAX AC ASSIST AC mod, Diy Twin tymar, TS chip, Powerslots & Hawk pads, ford AIC, ..... with big fat want to list.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-13-2011, 11:51 PM
PSN Local

my 6.0 did not like rotella either it suds to much i started running kendal and will never go back it is great in my 6.0 so i put it in my 6.4 as well i am an amsoil dealer but cant bring my self to spend the money on my 6.0 with 250k on the clock . the kendal is 15.99 i think at all pilot truck stops (in ohio anyhow) and is semi synthetic blend so far so good
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2011, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Outlaw wrench

I drive the same route to and from work and into town. I have decided to switch to syn(ouch$$$) at the next oil change. I talked to a friend who has an 05 6l and he had to have ford do a reflash for cold weather starting. I'm gonna call tomorrow am and check into the reflash. I have not been back to try the bio yet. I will look into the revx. Thanks.

03 ccsb fx4 5r110 trans
bulletproof 58v ficm
egr deleted
MBRP 4" straight pipe
zoodad mod
blue fuel spring
bilstien 5100 shocks
EDP direct solenoid
sct with IDP tunes
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 02:39 PM
Dino

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123rday68 View Post
Valvoline blue (con) or Valvoline Extreme Blue (syn) are some of the recommended oils for our trucks. I use the Extreme Blue. Makes my truck run quieter and overall better than when I was running the Rotella. If your having sticking issues, go to venders alley and post there that your looking for some Rev X. The sponsors will PM you prices. I get my Rev X from Mike's Diesel Performance. As to the B5 at the pumps, I know when I ran Bio fuel, my mileage increase slightly, probably due to the lubrication effects of the bio. I also know that Not all fuel is the same as I get better mileage from Shell Diesel as opposed to Meijer or BP but those are the only three I use around here.
I dont know about the Rev x.....but I run 5-40 Valvoline Ext. Blue all year long. Huge diff. in how the Eng fires up in the morn. I agree with the above as so far as oil goes. I run # 2 on road and add a pint of Marvel Msytery oil or Atf at each fill up To help with running the dry fuel....Dino Sorry to answer the question ....no mileage change for me ...15 MPG.....

04 F 350 Lariat, CC, LB, Auto, EGR Delete, 4 inch Diamond Eye Turbo Back exhaust, no cat. Edge program-25 hp, 255-85 KM2 , 2 Inch leveling kit 180K miles and still ticking away !!!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Outlaw wrench

Well its not stiction or from running oil that's too thick. Turns out my ficm was dying! Resoldered it and what a huge difference! I'm still gonna change over to synthetic oil at next OC.

03 ccsb fx4 5r110 trans
bulletproof 58v ficm
egr deleted
MBRP 4" straight pipe
zoodad mod
blue fuel spring
bilstien 5100 shocks
EDP direct solenoid
sct with IDP tunes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode