2 cycle oil in fuel - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

2 cycle oil in fuel

so what brand and how much 2 cycle should i add to my truck i just filled up and im not even sure if i need to add any some insight on the whole 2 cycle deal would help thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 09:33 PM
the stryker god

Re: 2 cycle oil in fuel

i just used walmart brand 2 cycle oil about an ounce to a gallon, pretty cheap way to get some lubricity in the fuel if you ask me
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 01:03 AM
SyN
Lubrication Addict!!

Pennzoil Marine Semi-Synthetic [email protected] 200:1--->Every fill up.

Diesel Fuel Additives - Diesel Fuel Conditioner, Lubricity, Treatment
Once a month I will add 12oz... Of this Product

2001 F250 XLT CC 4X4 AUTO SWB
{295K miles}.
Donaldson AIS Intake w/ZooDad
4" MBRP Turbo Back Exhaust.
DieselSite By-Pass Coolant Filter/{ELC}&RMI-25
DieselSite By-Pass Transmission Filter/Lg Magnet
Delete Mods-->{Foil & AIH}
203*{T-Stat}w/Billet Housing
SS HPX line-CCV{to atmosphere}
Marinco Heater Plug
Oil-->T6 5W-40 w/Amsoil Filter

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-08-2011, 02:30 AM
PSN Veteran

MAKE SURE it is TC-W3.

Use search. Tons of posts on this very thing. :)

2002 F-250 SD Lariat CC 4x4
7.3L automatic.
Underdash gauge pod with ISSPRO gauges.
Zoodad.
AIH delete.
DIY Tymar filter.
Sonnax Kit.
4" turbo back straight exhaust and 4-6" Silverline chrome tip.
20" wheels with 32x12.5 Toyo MT's
'08 aluminum rear diff cover.
SOLID AXLE front cover.
A/C Mod
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2011, 05:25 PM
SyN
Lubrication Addict!!

Mcdaniel: I was doing some prying around and stumbled across this thread on another site... I'm sure dnewton3 would not mind me sharing his findings...He made a phone call to Powerservice to ask a few questions and he shared his answers that he received... But! Here are my thoughts... The Powerservice rep was going to tell him what he wanted to hear... Mutual attempt to brain wash into buying their products... Which is What our government does every day... We are just good little sheep...But anyway he posted some good info... Even a paragraph on using 2-stroke oil... whether or not he is talking about just plain 2-stroke oil or TC-W3? I have know idea... Makes for some good reading...

I just got off the phone with "Chris" at PowerService, and got some good information. Unfortunately, it may not satisfy every. Here's the skinny on the reality, according to him ...

He said too many people get caught up in the debate of emulsify, demulsify, solubilize, etc. They are all means to a similar end. A-HA! I can actually accept that. It makes sense, and here's why.

Just like with most any other products, there is always a compromise of all the components. The "best" result is achieved when the greatest good is done with the least harm. To that end, it's very similar to oils. We all see great UOA results from many different brands, even though one may use more Ca and less Mg, while another last more boron and less moly, etc etc etc. Chris said that it really does not matter if the product either emulsifies or demulsifies; either way it helps reduce water in heavy dosing.

He said the typical ppm for water in diesel fuel is around 80-100ppm, but can be less, but at these levels the engine systems can tolerate the percentage. That level is considered a max saturation level for typically fuel. He also said "bad" fuel will have 200-300ppm of water, and will likely cause problems assuredly.

So, in essence, there really isn't a "best" method. Both emulsifiers and demulsifiers achieve a similar result.

But, because these products are NOT ONLY dealing with water, but also cetane, detergency, anti-gels and anti-icing, lubricity, etc, they have to compromise the total additive package to get the desired result. That again makes sense. He also said that moisture is actually less of a concern than is detergency and lubricity; those are more important. (Apparently today's fuels need those topics addressed more-so than water.) And because they are, those characteristics get priority in the additive package, and they emulsify/demulsify issue becomes secondary. So, if they tailor the package to have one element really strong, it might limit the choices for other constituents in the overall package. Again - it makes sense, and it's very similar to the way oils/lubes are constructed. IOW, base products are complimented by a variety of approaches, and there is no "best". In fact, Chris said that detergency, lubricity and cetane are paramount with ULSD; not so much water.

Further, he said the "better" way to deal with water is to make sure to use a biocide (something I've done for a long time). He said that some amount of water will always be present, and it's important to deal with the effects of slime, etc. He said preventative use of a biocide is MUCH more effective than trying to treat for water after the invasion has happened.

Also, he said that guys who add two-stroke oil are fooling themselves into a false sense of “lubricity”. He acknowledged that 2-stroke oil is slick, but it has adverse issues as well. Specifically, it can actually start to form small areas of accumulation in the injector by “sticking” to the hot spots before getting injected, thereby forming a micro-deposit. And, there are issues with the combustion byproducts getting more soot than normal. Makes sense, and I’ve noted this in other conversations here. Those of you that worry about EGR clogging should not be using 2-stroke oil. Those of you that worry about sticking injectors should not be using 2-stroke oil. Chris said their additive for lubricity (as well as their competitors) is tailored for the use specific to the task; I believe that. Two-stroke oil may have performed well in the “lubricity study” but as I’ve said before, that study ONLY addressed what the lube does on the affected part as far as friction goes, and does not address other side effects such as combustion byproducts, fuel economy, etc. Take what you will away from that. I think it’s a valid concern.

Lastly, regarding cetane, he indicated that you want to use a product year round for this. Apparnetly the industry ASTM standard is a cetane rating of 40 for ULSD. The industry average is 45. But, the OEMs want to see the cetane around 50 or more. So, using one of the PowerService or Stanadyne products will help with this.

In short, it matters not that you emulsify or demulsify. Treat your fuel with a quality brand name that is well rounded for all the criteria, and you’ll be fine.

Which is just about the same approach you should take with oil.

2001 F250 XLT CC 4X4 AUTO SWB
{295K miles}.
Donaldson AIS Intake w/ZooDad
4" MBRP Turbo Back Exhaust.
DieselSite By-Pass Coolant Filter/{ELC}&RMI-25
DieselSite By-Pass Transmission Filter/Lg Magnet
Delete Mods-->{Foil & AIH}
203*{T-Stat}w/Billet Housing
SS HPX line-CCV{to atmosphere}
Marinco Heater Plug
Oil-->T6 5W-40 w/Amsoil Filter
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

thanks SyN i think im going to start using diesel kleen
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 01:30 AM
Roz
Half Fast

Subscribed!

'06 MONEYPIT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

filled up last week and added the powerservice gray bottle and im still at 3/4 of a tank and I have gone 140 miles im usually at 3/4 @ 100 miles
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2011, 01:09 AM
PSN Veteran

i throw in a qt in every tank. saw better mpg. but also run diesel kleen every tank as well.

96- PIS 350 200s. 76mm Billett GT4202R. Big Oil. Twin E-Fuel.
BTS. Sump. 140v IDM. Melling. Fluidamper. H11. VS. PR.
Auto Meter- Boost, Pyro, HPOP, Trans, Fuel.
HPOP/coolant/trans filters.
6.0 I/C and Trans cooler.

2012 SRT8 300 6.4
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 07:01 PM
PSN Newb

i usually use the cetane booster from Ford..but is it safe to add this 2 cycle as well...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode