Oil sample need input - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2011, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Beef

Oil sample need input

Any experiences w/ the 6.4?
How worried should I be about the fuel level?
Running the 5-40 Rotella synthetic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blkstone.jpg (322.3 KB, 25 views)

"New" 05 no payment, all original 305k and runs like a champ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Headwind Magnet

Re: Oil sample need input

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerlifter405 View Post
Any experiences w/ the 6.4?
How worried should I be about the fuel level?
Running the 5-40 Rotella synthetic.
I'm no expert, but here's my thoughts/questions on your report.

How long have you been running Rot 5w-40? If you just switched to it within the last oci or two, that can cause your wear metals to briefly spike; they will settle down. If you have been running it a while then you should keep an eye on those lead numbers.

The oil is maintaining its viscosity nicely, which is what you should expect from synthetic oil. After all, the real reason for synthetic (IMHO) is extending oci or better cold starts.

the additive package for Rotella is light on preservative (moly) and detergent (potassium). If you've been running Rot for a while, I would consider switching to an oil with a more robust additive package. Schaeffers and DELO have two of the best additive packages. Give the new oil a change or two and see what happens to that lead number.

Given the fuel in the sample, I would not extend the oci for now. Need to keep an eye on that and an extended oci could allow more fuel in and reduce viscosity.

Hopefully, a real expert in this area will chime in and provide some more input.

Best,
Jim

2002 F-350 SC/SB/SRW 4X4 auto- Tymar intake, AIH delete, Swamps injectors, Swamps IDM, Dieselsite Coolant Filter,
Bilsteins with a stock ride height.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-10-2011, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Beef

I switched to the Rot 5-40 when i bought the truck in Nov.

I have performed another oil change due to accidently running the truck w/ the fender well off being caught in a quick down pour HOWEVER, i got a deal on mobile 1 and i'm using that at the moment.

The Cat/DPF is deleted so i'm watching the fuel #'s. I'll pull oil every 1000-1500 and see what happens.
Having Run DELO on some school buses before, every one of the, cummins, ford, IH, etc.. all required weekly top off w/ the DELO and the T444E didn't seem to run real well on it.
IMHO the HEUI system in the 7.3 is finicky and even in my 02, it ran worse on dino at longer intervals vs syn at the same interval. Because of my experiences i'm shying away from it.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 12:15 AM
Headwind Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerlifter405 View Post
I switched to the Rot 5-40 when i bought the truck in Nov.

I have performed another oil change due to accidently running the truck w/ the fender well off being caught in a quick down pour HOWEVER, i got a deal on mobile 1 and i'm using that at the moment.

The Cat/DPF is deleted so i'm watching the fuel #'s. I'll pull oil every 1000-1500 and see what happens.
Having Run DELO on some school buses before, every one of the, cummins, ford, IH, etc.. all required weekly top off w/ the DELO and the T444E didn't seem to run real well on it.
IMHO the HEUI system in the 7.3 is finicky and even in my 02, it ran worse on dino at longer intervals vs syn at the same interval. Because of my experiences i'm shying away from it.
Concur the HEUI is finicky! However, mine seems to like DELO. I have been very pleased with the wear numbers since making the switch. You obviously know how hard the 7.3 is on oil yet DELO is maintaining its 40 weight rating through 5000 miles. My oil use is zero except for the leaking EBPV

Anyway, it will be interesting to see if the fuel numbers go down with the CAT/DPF deleted; keep us posted!

Pick an oil and stick with it for at least three oci. Otherwise, you'll always be looking at weird wear numbers. I've heard and read nothing but good things about Mobil 1.

Best,
Jim

2002 F-350 SC/SB/SRW 4X4 auto- Tymar intake, AIH delete, Swamps injectors, Swamps IDM, Dieselsite Coolant Filter,
Bilsteins with a stock ride height.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-11-2011, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Beef

Thanks Jim,
I'm glad you like the DELO cause when I was driving, I was always adding a qt to my 7.3 and more on the older diesels and gasser. Ford made a small block 357 CI i think but it was a 4 valve motor for my 1st bus.

There are some issues w/ Job1 6.4's so maybe I'm having an injector act up. My DPF was off w/ in a week of getting the truck so maybe there was some residual when i removed it and changed the oil.
Orielys has the mobile on sale so I'll grab some since I'll need a bit for top off when i pull a sample from my fumoto drain valve.

Anyway, thanks for the info.
Will repost when i sample again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode