Baldwin fuel/water serperator users. Dont use. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Baldwin fuel/water serperator users. Dont use.

If you have an aftermarket fuel filter on your truck try to stay away from the baldwin bf 1212. Use a cummins fs1000

The baldwin only filters down to 20microns.
Cummins will filter down to 10microns thus you will never have to change your factory filter again. while still running both filters.

2002 F350 DRW, 38r Turbo, Terminator T500, REG return fuel system, CTS Evo Custom tuned by Bill at Powerhungry Performance, bts converter, S&B intake, Snows Stage 3 Water/Meth. Mcculloch hids 6k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 01:00 AM
Proud PSN Sponsor!

Re: Baldwin fuel/water serperator users. Dont use.

"Stay Away From" is pretty strong, sounds like there is a problem with this filter.

Then your follow-up just points to a tighter filter element as an alternative.

So...there is nothing wrong with the BF1212 in reality, you just prefer a filter with a smaller micron rating. I would caution you about running tighter filters PRE-PUMP. The tighter the filter, the more restriction it shows the pump. Suction side restriction is a very fast way to kill an inline wet motor electric fuel pump. In addition, just because you have a 10 micron (or even a 2 micron) filter before your pump doesn't mean you won't have to change the factory filter element. You will increase the service interval, but I would still recommend checking and replacing the stock element because the filter element material (even if not clogged) will start to break down over time.

Of course, there is the chance you are using this filter POST-PUMP. In that case, you should know that both the Baldwin and the Fleetguard (Cummins) filter you refer to are designed as SUCTION SIDE WATER SEPARATORS. They will handle the pressure and will filter OK on the pressure side, but the water separator efficiency is seriously compromised if not under suction.

Lastly, on that BF1212...
86.82% efficient at 4 micron
99.% efficient at 20 micron
1psid @ 210gph

This is a great filter for Pre-Pump applications because of the high flow rate, small pressure drop, good filtration and good water removal. We've been using them in our pre-pump kit for years with fantastic success.
79jasper and carbonation like this.

Dennis Schroeder - Co-Owner of Strictly Diesel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/

Race Truck :: 6050# / 11.31 @ 120mph / Best 60' of 1.56 ... with "Built" Race Engine (Fuel Only!)
Race Truck :: 5980# / 10.965 @ 124mph / Best 60' of 1.54 ... with "Built" Race Engine (Nitrous)
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I suppose you are correct. Your post makes way more sense then mine. Thanks For clearing that up. My whole point was the micron rating is supperior on cummins fleetgaurd fliters.

2002 F350 DRW, 38r Turbo, Terminator T500, REG return fuel system, CTS Evo Custom tuned by Bill at Powerhungry Performance, bts converter, S&B intake, Snows Stage 3 Water/Meth. Mcculloch hids 6k.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 03:05 AM
Coal Blower

Nothing wrong with the BF1212 for a pre pump filter. Post pump filter BF7633 (2micron)

as strictly said, 10mic is too small for a pre pump filter.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 05:25 AM
Proud PSN Sponsor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toypuller View Post
My whole point was the micron rating is supperior on cummins fleetgaurd fliters.
This isn't even accurate though, if you want the same micron rating in a Baldwin as the FS1000, you need a BF1259. You can get a Baldwin all the way down to 2micron, but just because you can doesn't mean you should (speaking of pre-pump again). Different filters are meant for different uses, you want to check the micron rating, flow rating, capacity, etc...and make your decision based on what the filter needs to do.

I didn't go back and check, but I could swear I remember the BF1212 being a cross reference for a Cummins engine filter.

The BF7633 2micron post pump filter we use is a CAT cross reference.

In the end, I chose the filters I did after spending a bunch of time discussing applications, flow rates, filtration needs and filter location with my Baldwin technical rep. We picked the filters we felt were best for each application. I even have a lower micron (higher numerically) option for use in front of a FueLab pump to be sure we don't burn that one up.
79jasper likes this.

/

/

Race Truck :: 6050# / 11.31 @ 120mph / Best 60' of 1.56 ... with "Built" Race Engine (Fuel Only!)
Race Truck :: 5980# / 10.965 @ 124mph / Best 60' of 1.54 ... with "Built" Race Engine (Nitrous)
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

[
I didn't go back and check, but I could swear I remember the BF1212 being a cross reference for a Cummins engine filter.

[/QUOTE]

This is correct, it does cross reference. My point still is if you are using a bf1212. Their is a better option out their for people. After looking at my truck and they way its ran. I am running this filter as a post filter in the return line back to the tank. Thus the lower micron rating= better debris removal= less intervals between changing the front filter. I see I should have explained my self better on my original post. Sorry.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 03:45 PM
Proud PSN Sponsor!

Let me see if I understand this right, your fuel flow is something like below:

Tank -> Pump -> Valley Filter -> Engine -> FS1000 Filter -> Tank

This is based on you saying that you put the FS1000 filter in the return back to the tank.

If you are running a regulated return, your factory valley filter is still doing the brunt of the work, and that the FS is only seeing what makes it through the factory filter. That being the case, it's the FS that won't need to be changed very often. If you are still running a stock fuel system, your FS1000 is acting like a "bypass filter", and that may or may not significantly change the needed service intervals for the stock fuel filter, depending on the actual amount of return flow.

I have to assume that your fuel system is stock (no regulated return), because that's the only way this makes any sense. In that scenario, I would agree that a tighter micron filter acting as a "bypass filter" would be what you want. There are still better options than the FS1000 under that thinking though, like the Baldwin BF7633. If you're really trying to save on factory filters, use a BF7633 between the pump and the factory filter. The BF7633 is a pressure side, 2 micron filter. In the pressure side of the system, right after the pump, this is actually better than both the BF1212 and the FS1000. It is appropriately sized (micron rating) for the location, capable of more contaminant capacity than the stock filter, less expensive to replace than the stock filter, easier to change than the stock filter...wait those are all the reasons I put it into my post pump filter kit.

/

/

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 03:32 PM
Peon Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strictly Diesel View Post
"Stay Away From" is pretty strong, sounds like there is a problem with this filter.

Then your follow-up just points to a tighter filter element as an alternative.

So...there is nothing wrong with the BF1212 in reality, you just prefer a filter with a smaller micron rating. I would caution you about running tighter filters PRE-PUMP. The tighter the filter, the more restriction it shows the pump. Suction side restriction is a very fast way to kill an inline wet motor electric fuel pump. In addition, just because you have a 10 micron (or even a 2 micron) filter before your pump doesn't mean you won't have to change the factory filter element. You will increase the service interval, but I would still recommend checking and replacing the stock element because the filter element material (even if not clogged) will start to break down over time.

Of course, there is the chance you are using this filter POST-PUMP. In that case, you should know that both the Baldwin and the Fleetguard (Cummins) filter you refer to are designed as SUCTION SIDE WATER SEPARATORS. They will handle the pressure and will filter OK on the pressure side, but the water separator efficiency is seriously compromised if not under suction.

Lastly, on that BF1212...
86.82% efficient at 4 micron
99.% efficient at 20 micron
1psid @ 210gph

This is a great filter for Pre-Pump applications because of the high flow rate, small pressure drop, good filtration and good water removal. We've been using them in our pre-pump kit for years with fantastic success.
I would recommend anyone doing an aftermarket fuel system (whether bought from a sponsor/dealer or not) to familiarize yourself with the flow rating. It is possible to have a very tight Micron rating and NOT impact flow rates. They just tend to cost more and aren't as widely used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORDDiESEL View Post
Nothing wrong with the BF1212 for a pre pump filter. Post pump filter BF7633 (2micron)

as strictly said, 10mic is too small for a pre pump filter.
That is not always correct. It is important that when putting non-factory equipment on your truck that you are familiar with what it is rated for. It is possible to have a 2 Micron (nominal) filter/water seperator pre-pump and not impact flow rates.

Sam

The Trash Truck
96 CC F350 SRW - Built for SVO and mileage
Go Green - HotFox, Dual Heated Dahl 100s, Fuel Filter Coolant Wrap, ArcticFox
Go Fast - Hybrids, H2E, 6.0 IC, Fuelab, BTS 144.2/291.5 uncorrected

thanx
Rockin-S-Performance - Install, tech support, and advice
Diesel Innovations - Killer Deal on Parts
Tony Wildman/SWAMPS - Tuning
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 06:13 PM
Coal Blower

Well show me a 2mic that has the same flow as a 20mic.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 07:43 PM
Peon Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORDDiESEL View Post
Well show me a 2mic that has the same flow as a 20mic.
Dahl Filters (sold by Baldwin) - page 4 of pdf or page 2 of the brochure.

Sam

The Trash Truck
96 CC F350 SRW - Built for SVO and mileage
Go Green - HotFox, Dual Heated Dahl 100s, Fuel Filter Coolant Wrap, ArcticFox
Go Fast - Hybrids, H2E, 6.0 IC, Fuelab, BTS 144.2/291.5 uncorrected

thanx
Rockin-S-Performance - Install, tech support, and advice
Diesel Innovations - Killer Deal on Parts
Tony Wildman/SWAMPS - Tuning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in