Can I reuse trans fluid - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
BRING DA AMBALAMPS

Can I reuse trans fluid

I just changed my trans fluid about 4k miles ago. I need to put an upgraded direct drive solenoid in to help out the 3-5 shifts so i was curious if i dropped the pan and put the solenoid in, can i reuse the relatively new fluid (as long as its clean)? might be a stupid question but if I don't have to spend the extra 75-100 on new fluid, it would help.

2005 CC FX4...compounds and everything else that goes with em.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 12:25 PM
PSN Newb

Re: Can I reuse trans fluid

You can, I would go buy a brand new 5 gallon bucket or at least a super clean one to drain it in. I plan on doing mine soon as well, but I think I'm just going to put new fluid in.

06 F-250 x/c 4X4 ARP and all the other good stuff. SCT w/customs tunes from Vivian at Quick Tricks, Tow, Street, and LOONey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwide73 View Post
You can, I would go buy a brand new 5 gallon bucket or at least a super clean one to drain it in. I plan on doing mine soon as well, but I think I'm just going to put new fluid in.
My suggestion would be use a very clean or brand new catch can/bucket to put it in. Before refilling the trans get a paint cone with the fine mesh to filter or strain the fluid to make sure no bugs or debris got into it. You will be fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Your Source for Diesel Performance Parts, Filters, Accessories, Maintenance, Amsoil Synthetics
Dane Evans

, PM or Call (805)531-9551

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
BRING DA AMBALAMPS

good call on the paint cone!

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 01:24 AM
PSN Veteran

Don't listen to these guys that are all worried about cleanliness. Just use whatever drain pan you have, even if it has some old motor oil or dirt in it. If you spill some just suck it up with a shop vac, and then reverse the hose so that it blows it back out. You could even do the shop vac trick with all the fluid. I mean your transmission has a filter right???? Plus the shop vac has a filter......so that's like double filtration.....it would probably be cleaner than new fluid. It will be fiiinnneeee.

Early 99 Powerstroke
Crew Cab Short Bed Lariat 4x4
SCT Livewire w/ various custom tunes
Adrenaline
AFE stage 2
Super 66 Turbo
4" straight pipe
Modded IDM
Automatic trans: PI Converter, tugger kit
Leveling Kit w/ 35's
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 01:32 AM
Diesel Sled Head

Yep reuse it as FUEL.....

2001 f250 H2E,BTS,Stealth,reg return,mod IDM, spearco,DI Ceramic Headers.. bcode stage 3's Cale's Tunes
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
BRING DA AMBALAMPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCowboy View Post
Don't listen to these guys that are all worried about cleanliness. Just use whatever drain pan you have, even if it has some old motor oil or dirt in it. If you spill some just suck it up with a shop vac, and then reverse the hose so that it blows it back out. You could even do the shop vac trick with all the fluid. I mean your transmission has a filter right???? Plus the shop vac has a filter......so that's like double filtration.....it would probably be cleaner than new fluid. It will be fiiinnneeee.
your sarcasm is subtle.

I'm not stupid...just wondering if it was possible if the fluid is essentially brand new.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 03:08 AM
<sideways skyscraper

In all honesty...if you drain the fluid into a new drain bucket and make sure no debris fall in, then poor it back in when your done there's a 99% chance you will have zero problems. Would I do it? No...it isn't really THAT expensive for 8-10 quarts of SP. Plus wouldn't you rather have fresh clean fluid running through your new solenoid? Its up to you man

06 CCLB 8" lift 37s 22s 8300#

[email protected]
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 03:18 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroke of luck View Post
your sarcasm is subtle.

I'm not stupid...just wondering if it was possible if the fluid is essentially brand new.
If I thought you were stupid I wouldn't have even made that post for fear that you would do it.

If you do it, be sure to clean your pan around the drain hole very well, because the fluid won't come out perfect and will pick up whatever is on the pan close to the hole.

Early 99 Powerstroke
Crew Cab Short Bed Lariat 4x4
SCT Livewire w/ various custom tunes
Adrenaline
AFE stage 2
Super 66 Turbo
4" straight pipe
Modded IDM
Automatic trans: PI Converter, tugger kit
Leveling Kit w/ 35's
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 04:32 PM
Administrator

if you didn't do the hot flush and just changed the fluid in the pan the first time I would change it out with new

DTR's Donation page

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode