DIY By-Pass question - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Gun Clinger

DIY By-Pass question

After doing some reading and checking out other members' homemade by-pass setups, I'm ready to start ordering parts to do my own. I plan on using the Fleetguard or Baldwin filter base but had a question about what orifice size to use. I know some have drilled their own 1/16" (.0625") and others have said the Amsoil kit is around .035". What is the ideal size to run and still have enough oil pressure not to toast the bearings but enough flow through the by-pass to be effective? Also, does it matter what side of the circuit it's on? I'm thinking on the outlet to the by-pass filter instead of the return.

This will be the orifice I use. Middle of the page, orifices with pipe threads. It will give me more piece of mine than making my own.

McMaster-Carr

Also, I was planning on using push-lock hose unless I can find an economic way to make my own stainless steel braided lines. Not quite sure where I'm going to put the filter just yet.

Thanks to all the guinea pigs that have made this look really simple to do on your own.

2002 XLT 4X4 EX - Bone stock for now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 04:05 AM
Coal Blower

Re: DIY By-Pass question

SpringerPop's Lube Bypass Filter
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Gun Clinger

Lorddiesel, I read that site and it's great for how to install the bypass setup but really didn't answer my question.

I read Tarm's bypass post again and some on Bobistheoilguy.com and think I've decided what I'm going to do.

I've ordered the filter housing from Grainger and typed in the Fleetguard number and it was cross referenced to the Baldwin number.

Cummins 3304173S
Baldwin OB1308

I still need to order:
.042" orifice on the outlet
npt to -6AN adapters
-6AN hose end fittings
-6AN braided hose (length to be determined by mounting location)

I need to take several measurements but I think the filter will fit next to the full flow filter with a long bracket. The smallest plate we have at work is 8mm and I should be able to use some scrap to make it. It should be strong enough without gussets. Clearing the driveshaft might be an issue. I want to get the head in first to see if it will in fact fit.

I've looked but can't find any dimensions on the mounting pattern on the filter head? Anybody have them?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Gun Clinger

I have the orifice, filter head and filter. I held the filter head with filter in place and it will be a tight fit but looks like it will fit next to the factory full flow filter. I didn't realize how big a LF777 filter is. Volvo/Mak dealer in Waco has them for $14.55 out the door, I didn't figure that was bad at all.

Question:

Should I use push-lock hose or braided -6AN hose? Put the numbers to each and the push-lock will be $50 cheaper and should put the entire cost close to $100.

Jason

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 10:24 PM
Administrator

I hate working with braided if they aren't already made up
plus the last set I used dired out in a period of 4 yrs ??

DTR's Donation page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP DTR Ron
you are missed and will live on through your great video library contribution to the DIY community

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode