Getting ready to swap springs - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By AK1
  • 1 Post By AK1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Garage
Getting ready to swap springs

I'm about to begin the famous spring swap on my '04 Ex. Did a lot of reading, spoke with Cary at CT Performance (speaking of which, that was a few years ago and I haven't been able to get in touch with him recently....did he go out of business?), looked at before and after pics, and decided on going with X codes up front and modified B codes in the rear. Along with this, I will be installing a 2" front hanger kit, and the F-350 3" block (or is it 3.5") in the rear, for a total lift of about 4". I know that exact lift amounts can only be determined after it's all together due to the number of variables.

Anyway, I'm looking for advice from anyone who has already done this. I know with the hanger kit you lose the crash bar, or whatever it's called, which goes between the frame rails. Most places don't say you need to replace it unless you go with a 4" hanger, but I will anyway, just for the peace of mind. The question is, should I go with a company which includes a tube to stiffen up the assembly, or the company which figured out how to replace the crash bar and keep its functionality? Also, I do have an adjustable track bar on-hand already. All I have left to get are the hangers (pending a decision on what type to get as stated above), shocks, and u-bolts. However, I also have questions on those! lol This is why I wish I could get in touch with Cary.

So, as for the u-bolts, how do I know which size to order? I'm not going to know how much lift the modified B spring pack is going to give me until it's assembled, but I can't assemble it until I take my old springs off. Is measuring the thickness of the old springs I'll be using and adding that to the B pack size acceptable? I would, of course, have to add in the size of the block. Oh, and I know that the front springs will use stock size because I am only changing to X codes.

On the matter of shocks, Cary always said his custom tuning that Bilstein did was great. If I can't get in touch with him, is there a way to get this custom tuning done?

One final thing is sway arm end links. First, I forgot to mention that I did get the 30mm rear sway bar. Second, at what point do I have to get extended end links? And how do I know how long they should be?

Anything you guys can suggest or give me insight on would be greatly appreciated!!

2004 Excursion 6.0
New HPOP/HPO system o-rings; Updated standpipes and dummy plugs
EGR delete; Rebuilt oil cooler; CCV collection mod
VR Black Diamond head gaskets and ARP studs
Oil and coolant bypass filters; Shell EC-1 coolant
Rebuilt turbo; 250 amp alt; 6000 watts of brain scrambling
One giant 240 pound English Mastiff riding shotgun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 05:00 PM
AK1
PSN Local

Garage
Re: Getting ready to swap springs

I did this a number of years ago. I swapped everything from my '00 F350 that had a mini pack leveling kit on it instead of the dropped hanger up front. I ended up with 6" up front and 4" in the rear.

I think either the bar up front to stabilize or the ability to retain the crash bar for the same purpose will work, the hanger drop should give a smoother ride than my mini pack. I also have a small tapered block (.75-1") up front to adjust my castor a little.

The F350 block in the rear, combined with the modified pack can be manipulated some adding or leaving out the overload/spring wrap leaf so that you get the rake you desire. I pull heavier trailers at times so made mine fairly stiff with 2 stiffer leaves but am in the process of putting airbags in so I can pull the two heavier leaves out and add 1" to my block giving me a smoother ride but still have the ability to pull heavy. The stock F350 U-bolt length is about the same as what you'll need but they've got an overload and block at the top.

I went with Bilsteins, not custom valved, and don't believe they are any better than a Rancho or other shock.

I left the stock front swaybar links, and put the F350 rear sway bar in with the stock links- wouldn't hurt to shorten them an inch or so but work fine.
Weatherlite likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 05:11 PM
AK1
PSN Local

Garage

Couple of pics:
1- Rear block and modded pack.
2- Two leaves with red are overloads I put in there for lift and weight, going to pull both.
3- Front mini pack.
4- Back looks like it's sagging, just the angle of where I'm parked. Running 35's...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AirbagPrep.jpg (18.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3204_LI.jpg (20.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4215.jpg (15.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3413.jpg (24.8 KB, 12 views)
Weatherlite likes this.

'00 Excursion Limited w/170k (rebuilt), 4X, V/B codes, 35" Toyo, 4" intake/exhaust, WW, TW, Isspro, FF Stage 1, T500- mix of '00/'05/'08/'12/'14 parts
SOLD: '00 F350 CC, '95 F350 CC, 2X '83 F250 6.9's.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Garage

Thanks for the info!

2004 Excursion 6.0
New HPOP/HPO system o-rings; Updated standpipes and dummy plugs
EGR delete; Rebuilt oil cooler; CCV collection mod
VR Black Diamond head gaskets and ARP studs
Oil and coolant bypass filters; Shell EC-1 coolant
Rebuilt turbo; 250 amp alt; 6000 watts of brain scrambling
One giant 240 pound English Mastiff riding shotgun!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode