Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Converting 2nd row bench to bucket

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Snowman269 
#1 ·
After searching for 8 years, I gave up my search for gray rear buckets. I wanted to retain the ability to fold the seats flat and wanted walk through so my kids don't climb over when needing to sit in the back. I have been questioned as to the strength/safety/reliability of narrowing the 60 side of the 60/40 split but after looking at everything I decided all those factors could be met. While I did have to re-weld the tubes on the perimeter, everything else I cut to overlap so I could bolt it together first. I was able to cut and narrow both the foam and the 'leather' cover, reusing existing material. Had to sculpt the foam in a few places. Hand sewing the cover back together took the majority of my time (6-8 hours total for project.) The 40 side rear mount is one bolt through the body with a 1.5X6" plate to spread the load, nothing else special about that section of body. I reused the two bolt mount and used a 2X10" plate that now sits just forward and outside of the original seatbelt mount. Had to flatten a small bulge in the floor in this area- used a floor jack to push against floor and then flattened from inside with a small sledge. I added the armrests and brackets from front seats as I'd removed them- they interfered with my '11 center console.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
More pictures, tried to draw pictures of what I did- how I cut things and what I reused. Didn't quite get the bottom section of the cover sewed back tight enough (under armrest) so will need to remedy that soon. Still need to add the armrest to the 40 side also. I now have a unicorn I believe- "factory" gray rear buckets in a "00.

Attachments

#3 ·
You did an awesome job! Looks nearly factory. I'm surprised you couldn't find what you were looking for. I would have thought those would be easy enough to find.

#4 ·
I've not even seen a picture of gray bucket, maybe gray interior wasn't offered after '01. The color and stitching/design is slightly different between the '99-'01 and the '02-'05. Did find someone to swap with that needed the extra seat 3 years ago but they had the EB two tone (tan/dark brown) and they didn't want to pay to have them recovered. A year later they ended up buying a cloth bench but couldn't decide if they wanted to sell me the buckets. I finally gave up...

#6 ·
Fantastic!

I want to do 3 rows of buckets, it's a goal of mine. This is a definite possibility for me.

I've been thinking about tearing off the 3rd row seat top part, using the base to mount a set of buckets. Then they could be pulled out, if needed yet have seating for 6 adults.

Great job on the 2nd row. Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.