Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Rough idle on startup

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Charles 
#1 ·
It has been about 6 weeks since I installed the Stealth twins and ever since, it idles rough when I start it in the morning. It only lasts for about a minute then idles normally thereafter. I understood this to be "normal" at first since there will be air in the HPOP lines that needs worked out but now its 6 weeks and about 600 miles later..

#4 ·
100% chance that you have NO.....:eek: low pressure oil when you crank, and for some time afterward. lol.

I have a lube oil gauge on my truck zip-tied to the antenna and it reads from the top of the reservoir. When I crank the truck it has air for about 20 or 30 seconds before it settles into a nice smooth idle. FWIW, if you'll let it always sti still until it gets smooth before taking off, you will enjoy a much crisper engine while you drive as it woln't just FILL the oil with air and be so hard to work back out.

When mine cranks (brand new lpop too) it will:

Craank, Whack, fires up.......1/1000.....2/1000....3/1000.....4/1000.... then maybe a flicker....5/1000 then 5lbs or so flickering up....6/1000 maybe jump up to 10-15 and maybe drop back to 8ish, then ZING.....up to 40lbs with some jitteryness (this is after 5 or so seconds with NO lube oil pressure). Then exactly when the truck begins to idle correctly again the lube oil gauge is steady as a rock.

I have a -10 pickup tube down the top of the reservoir all the way to the front cover too.

It's only slightly more sluggish to come up with the second charger.

#7 ·
A 3 stage belt pump with two -12 suction lines ought to solve any low oil PSI issues.

#9 ·
Not kidding, I have a 3 stage pump that I just rebuilt that came off my boat. Wouldn't take much to build a couple brackets.... :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.