Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Puttin' the stroker to the test

6K views 60 replies 16 participants last post by  txpsdcrwchf 
#1 ·
Since installing my TN turbo, 6.0 intercooler, 6.0 tranny cooler and big oil, I got to test them out hardcore this weekend.

Took my 38' Raptor toyhauler loaded with 3 quads and 112 gallons of water out camping. Probably a little over 15,000 lbs.. Went up a 10% grade that was almost 5 miles long.. My egt's never got over 1150 degrees with lots of power.. My TN was boosting to about 24lbs the whole way. Pulled it at about 45 mph then saw my tranny temps climb.. Tranny peaked at about 210 degrees at the top of the hill and my water temp was up there too but all-in-all it was pretty impressive to pull that kind of load. My buddy who has a Duramax pulling a 8000 lbs toyhauler couldn't believe it.. He was struggling to keep up :D. Wonder how some stage 2's would work for me?

#7 ·
Thats right putting those damn duracrappers to shame!!!!

#8 ·
10% grade at highway speeds... meh. You need some 20mph corners on that grade to make it really fun :poke:

Sounds like your trans needs some help... Mine used to heat up on hard pulls like that even when I knew the TC was locked up. Doing all of my tugger kit made a HUGE difference! My truck wants to do a wheelie now when it shifts with the cabover on and the rockcrawler in tow :D

#9 ·
Yes I have a stock TQ converter. I do have a BTS valvebody but the TQ needs to go.. Hey anyone have a good suggestion for a good TQ converter? I have a new tranny courtesy of Ford.. Mine was replaced under warranty and works fine, converter has to go though.

#12 ·
Depends on which trans you got, but its proble the standard if it was replaced under warenty. I have a HD unit to put in mine that comes with a 6.0 converter, and some other things to make it a little better that what the stock one is. If your trans goes and its under warenty Ford won't put this trans in, you have to buy it. Sounds stupid to me though because if you have it replaced only to kill it again under warenty they do it all over again and spend more money when if they would just put the HD unit in you would never be back.

Dan

#13 ·
there was a thread on a di version of a " name brand" ....cough possibly pi?
TC a while back. might give dave a call and see what is up.

#15 ·
So you have a stock tranny Greg? Crap that's impressive with your setup..
I have been having some shifting issues with my new one. I installed a BTS valvebody and it shifted good. I sent my chip back to Jody at DP for re-flash and now it shifts waaaaay too soon. I want it to get up in the powerband around 2000-2400 rpm but it shift before I can get there (but not every time either). Jody said he raised my shift points with my setup and is baffled as to why it is shifting too soon. I dunno either. I have been having to manually shift some of the time.. Any idears?

#16 ·
I have a triple disk converter, and John Wood valve body.

I also have a magnefyne filter in the return line, otherwise stock though.

02-03's shift kinda funny. That was the thing I was so pleased about live tuning, my truck shifts awesome now.

Maybe try a different valve body, or call and ask Brian for his recommendation.
Not knocking his stuff, Brian is a true professional and knows what he is doing, so is John Wood. You just may like a different VB, I know several people who have tried different ones til they got the one they liked.

#21 ·
Man this is getting ridiculous! I'd have to agree for the most part. ;) I would much rather drive a manual. Have always liked them and most likely always will. I think most "enthusiasts" do. However with the way these trucks shift and dropping off boost every time you do I decided I wanted the auto. If I had it my way I'd have one standard cab truck that I would make fast with an auto and have a crew cab that I used for a daily driver with a manual.

#20 ·
I don't use the clutch, waste of time.

#22 ·
My trans used to shift too soon too. All I did was install an updated TC and finish my tugger kit (front pump stuff, coast clutch and overdrive snaprings). Now, it's a completely different truck!!! I'd almost wager a bet the damn thing picked up a second in the 1/4. My first test drive, all I could say was "holy $%@!#*^ $@*!"

#23 ·
Well I have to have a man All i do is pull trailers. For pulling a big load up hills or in the mountains thru a windy roads nothing can keep up with a man. I'v had guys try.lol But if i had to work in town and drive in the city I might have a auto maybe.

#25 ·
Shure joey I'll be right over. You can say all you want if you pulled a trailer every day you would not have a auto. If your only pulling a trailer for fun then it's diferent. I can't stand to wait for it to down shift or up shift even if it's for a second. The part I hate the most is taking off from a stop with a auto I HATE that with a trailer. When I let the clutch out i'm moveing not I hope the converter will get presure and get me moveing. It's only for a second or less but I can't stand that.

#26 ·
Ya I gotta figure this tranny thing out. Its new (but a stocker 4r100) with a BTS VB and it is shifting like feces (poop in case you don't know what feces is). I wish I had $4500 laying around to do it right. I hate to buy a different valvebody too.. BTS' customer service so far has been poor. Jody at DP is scratching his head over this one (but top notch customer service as usual), always calls me back and spends time with me on the phone. Don't know if I am gonna end up dropping it out to put in a better TC or what.. I also seem to get a shudder under semi-hard acceleration which feels like the TC.

#27 ·
Is that in first gear or second? The two jaspers I had in mine (lasted less than 10,000 miles each) did that in second gear if you were accelerating mildly. Floor it and it was fine. I'd be very careful if I were you. They sucked big time. The monsterbox so far has been very good to me. I would imagine the BTS would be too. Dont waste your money on anything else.

#30 ·
One of my trucks has 52 gears, that'll keep ya busy in traffic. Slushboxes are great for racing, but for everything else they aren't as good as a manaul. For a work truck auto's waste too much HP, espically when you get into larger stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.