7.3 Runs 3-5 seconds and dies - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2019, 03:58 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

7.3 Runs 3-5 seconds and dies

Have a 7.3 Idi and it's refusing to start.

Ran when parked a year ago, managed to get it to run for 5 minutes right away on the old diesel and then it sputtered and died.

Managed to get it running one other time starting on ether and it ran until we were out of fuel in an aux tank, about 5 minutes. Lots of smoke and it was wide open reving at 1500rpm.

Now it starts and dies and won't continue to run no matter what I try.

Have replaced return line cups o rings and injector seals, new lift pump, new fuel filter.

Getting power at fss and confirmed it is moving as well as the metering valve.

The lines seem bled but they aren't getting a ton of gas coming out at the injectors.

I also towed it for 5 km in gear to get it to warm up and start but no dice, this was before the new fuel pump though.

I'm stumped. It's a super cool quad cab and the cab is in great shape. Only 150k km on the Odo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 06:14 PM
alleged moderator

Re: 7.3 Runs 3-5 seconds and dies

welcome to PSN.
how much fuel is in the tank?
these trucks are known for the pickup tube in the tank cracking and sucking air.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 03:52 PM
IDI Dude

Unhook rubber line at lift pump, remove tank caps and apply compressed air (not more than 90 PSI) and listen for gurgling... my TSV (tank selector valve) is clogged enough to where if I switch to the other tank, engine loses rpms and dies...

It's so clogged with asphaltines (small black particles that look like showerhead pieces but are not-whole 'nother subject) that the TSV is jammed and I plan to take it apart and clean it when I install 38 gallon tank in.

The Ford whiz kids thought it was cool to locate the TSV right in the space between front tank and frame rail and nobody can get to it without dropping that tank with the skid plate.

I have a Facet pump with a line filter right before it and have to change it every so often because it is getting clogged with tiny hard black pieces of asphaltine. When I change the line filter (way cheaper than changing the canister filter on top) I have to blow back and clear the line so the new line filter (see through) doesn't get clogged right away.

So anyway, try blowing the lines back to the tank, this won't work on the newer models with the pump in tank setup...

'92.5 F350, 7.3 NA IDI, with E4OD, cc, lb, 4X4, running on 2nd engine and had 88,000 when installed - now has 218,000. Truck has 487,000 miles.
Re-ring oil cooler @ installation of engine and no leaks!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 07:06 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonabill View Post
Unhook rubber line at lift pump, remove tank caps and apply compressed air (not more than 90 PSI) and listen for gurgling... my TSV (tank selector valve) is clogged enough to where if I switch to the other tank, engine loses rpms and dies...

It's so clogged with asphaltines (small black particles that look like showerhead pieces but are not-whole 'nother subject) that the TSV is jammed and I plan to take it apart and clean it when I install 38 gallon tank in.

The Ford whiz kids thought it was cool to locate the TSV right in the space between front tank and frame rail and nobody can get to it without dropping that tank with the skid plate.

I have a Facet pump with a line filter right before it and have to change it every so often because it is getting clogged with tiny hard black pieces of asphaltine. When I change the line filter (way cheaper than changing the canister filter on top) I have to blow back and clear the line so the new line filter (see through) doesn't get clogged right away.

So anyway, try blowing the lines back to the tank, this won't work on the newer models with the pump in tank setup...
Ford whiz kids
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 08:23 PM
IDI Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Horn View Post
Ford whiz kids
L O L!

'92.5 F350, 7.3 NA IDI, with E4OD, cc, lb, 4X4, running on 2nd engine and had 88,000 when installed - now has 218,000. Truck has 487,000 miles.
Re-ring oil cooler @ installation of engine and no leaks!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode