lost on a 7.3 IDI - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

lost on a 7.3 IDI

Need help 1989 7.3 Non turbo IDI in a f450 new fuel tank and sending unit, new elec fuel pump and filter sep new glow plugs and controller, good compression truck will start and run with a shot of starting fluid but will not start on its own. Trying to figure out the problem. Could the injectors be bad figure if bad wouldn't run at all or not creating enough fuel pressure at start to go ahead and start on it own. but with start fluid it spins fast enough to start and run. I need help bad. Looking to get this truck running.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:26 AM
PSN Veteran

Have you verified fuel is getting to the injectors? Those injection pumps are not the best.

07 CCSB 4x4 Lariat FX4 Bronze Metallic/Sage
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: lost on a 7.3 IDI

It will start and run with a shot of starting fluid

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

lost on a 7.3 IDI

Here's my problem guys 89 7.3 non turbo IDI new fuel tank, pickup and sending unit new elec lift pump, new GP's and controller with good compression. Truck will start and run all day with a shot of starting fluid but with it no start. thoughts on bad injectors or bad IP.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:50 AM
PSN Veteran

Starting fluid with functioning glow plugs is a very bad idea.

Does it smoke at idle? Does it start ok when it's hot? Do you have any fuel leaks anywhere on the engine? How many times do you cycle the glow plugs? How cold is it? How many miles are on it?

Short answer is we need a little more info. I really don't suspect injection pump or injectors, even when worn they usually just smoke white has been my experience.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 08:51 AM
alleged moderator

if it starts and runs with starting fluid or with the block heater plugged in for two-three hours, the glow plug circuit is not working. do you get power to glow plugs when the wait to start light is on?
what brand glow plugs did you put in it? these engines only like motorcraft glow plugs, most other brands will burn out as soon as power is applied to them, especially the autolites most parts houses sell .

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

no smoke at idle, yes starts better when warmed up, complete new fuel system no leaks that I have seen, new motorcraft GP and new controller, don't mater how many times I cycle gp it still won't start. 60's 70's on outside temp cluster show around 160,000 miles or so. I've spent a bunch of money on it I feel I;m never getting back help help help
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 01:56 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevpetty View Post
no smoke at idle, yes starts better when warmed up, complete new fuel system no leaks that I have seen, new motorcraft GP and new controller, don't mater how many times I cycle gp it still won't start. 60's 70's on outside temp cluster show around 160,000 miles or so. I've spent a bunch of money on it I feel I;m never getting back help help help
Even though you put new GPs and controller in you need to make sure with a test light and volt meter that you are getting power to the controller and power coming out when cycling.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 07:57 PM
alleged moderator

ok. how long does the wait to start light stay on with cold engine?
60-70 degrees outside temperature should give you about a 10 second wait to start light.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

wait light stays on for 10 to 15 sec. then starts pulsing on and off I think that's its working correctly and I have good voltage and current to gp's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode