Bad bearing or Camber off? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Bad bearing or Camber off?

🧐 ok all I need help. Got this 93 7.3 2wd idi all stock, run great. Alignment is good to go, no wandering, tie rods are firm, no play when I lift the truck and try to move the tire.
Heres my problem, when driving between 60 to 65-70 mph, I feel my driver front tire "shaking" . It only occurs around those speeds. I've also noticed outside tire wear on the same tire only. I dont feel any cupping, just a slight feathering on the outside edge of that tire. All others are running fine, no push back on brake pedal, alignment stays straight. No pulling or excessive play in steering. I do notice a wobble when turning right only, not left.

I thought camber at first but I'm more inclined to go with the bearing. Just got done paying taxes don't want to start blindly throwing money into it.

How can I check camber in the garage? If it's a bearing how do I check it for play? I lifted the truck and tried to check for wheel play but guess I'll have to remove tire and see if I have pay in the bearing?

Thank you in advance for input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 04:31 PM
don't play well w others

Re: Bad bearing or Camber off?

Cupped tire is either a bad shock, bad tire balance, or tire out of round because tire core seperation

Charlie
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely fool proof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:31 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustybumpers View Post
Cupped tire is either a bad shock, bad tire balance, or tire out of round because tire core seperation

I have this now on a Jeep, I know my issue is balance, a weight is missing.

How old/miles on tires?

1996 F350 XL Crew Cab LB 4x4 3:55
Former Ft. Bragg/Pope AFB Truck
DieselSite Coolant Filter
Riff Raff Diesel Turbo & Y Boot Kit
Riff Raff Diesel HPX
Mile Marker 449SS Manual Hubs

1987 F250 XLT Lariat LB 2WD 4:10
6.9/7.3 IDI Swap-SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 John Deere 5055D

1974 Deutz 5506
2950 hours-"The Tank"

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Tires are almost new came with the truck which I bought about a month ago, despite the tire in question they still have about 5/8 off an inch of meat on them. Like I said I don't see or feel any cupping going on. Just wearing on the outer edge of the driver side tire and the wonky feel at the speeds or the slightest wheel movement left.

Was asking around guess I'll swap the front tires side to side and see if the problem changes to the other side then I can narrow it to the tire.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Correction I meant feeling wonky with slightest wheel movement to the right. Left feels smooth and fluid.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:02 PM
Master BS'er

All you can do is Jack up the front and check everything. Check bearings, ball joints, track bars, rods and gear. if everything is tight then it will need an alignment check. Shake at three and 9 for steering stuff, 6 and 12 checks bearings and ball joints

Just because it doesn't pull or wander doesn't mean the alignment is good. It's pretty rare for solid axle stuff to go out in camber or caster if the parts are tight. But it can happen, there's shims for it. Could also be a toe wear, and toe doesn't cause a pull, unless it's way off.

Can't be checked in you're driveway, not without a bubble gauge and those suck anyway.

Brother James

Ps...Im pretty frickin awesome!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks I'll swap the two front tires to see if there is any change, if not then I'll have to get the alignment after double checking the bearings again. I follow up after I get the alignment done, thanks for input. I check back in
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:41 PM
alleged moderator

i have to agree with Charlie on this one, it sounds like that tire is out of balance .

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 03:37 PM
don't play well w others

Swapping radial tires side to side without turning them around on the wheels is a recipe for disaster.
It will cause the tire to separate inside.
tjctransport likes this.

Charlie
"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely fool proof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of a complete fool."
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for all your input. Just got back from shop. Turns out that was a bad tire, someone tried to balance it I guess when installed and there was so much weight that it looked like it covered half the rim. You could also see where a few weights had fallen off. Luckily I had good enough credit was able to get 2 new financed, and now the ride is smooth as butter no more wobble.
tjctransport and aussamdad like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode