1988 F250 with issues - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

1988 F250 with issues

Hello everyone,
I have been looking to buy a 1988 F250 4x4 with 7.3 in it, the guy is telling me the truck will start but will not stay running, he thinks it is the mechanical fuel pump. I am worried it might be Injector pump. My question is will the engine start up and then quit if it is the Injector pump or is that a sure sign of the fuel pump going bad? fuel pumps are a lot less than Injector pumps and I don't want to spend a fortune to get this truck up and running.
I have never had a diesel and I know they can be expensive to repair but I have driven them and I love them, this could be a nice truck for me if it won't cost me a lot to fix.
So again would it start with a bad Injector pump or a bad Fuel pump? What are your thoughts and/or do you think it is a different issue all together?
I know cars and trucks, I work on Gas Engines all the time so I know what issues a gas engine can have that would make this problem. Not to good with diesel of fuel injection though, I am old school Carb guy.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 10:04 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: 1988 F250 with issues

Itís probably got an air intrusion problem. Take a look at the injectors and see if the plastic connectors that connect the return likes are wet looking . If air is getting into the fuel system then it will most certainly stall out .
Injection pump and injectors are relatively cheap for this engine . If the truck is in good shape it might be worth putting a set on it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WolfBWolf likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

OK Thanks for the Information, When I go to see it run I will be sure to look for fuel leaks near the injectors, would be nice if it is something simple, I can get an injector seal kit or all new injectors at a reasonable cost. I really want this truck but don't want to spend thousands of dollars on it.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 10:34 PM
PSN Veteran

A fuel system , pump and injectors will run you less then $1000 if you shop around . Thatís very cheap as far as stuff goes in the diesel world .

WolfBWolf likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 10:36 PM
PSN Local

How hard is it to start or restart? with air getting in the system it should be pretty hard it start first thing. Don't know that I have ever had one stall from air getting in after been running for a while. If real hard to start then stalls and then restart , yes could be the case, Lost its prime, just like running one out of fuel. In rereading your post I would check the cap and fuel lines on the injectors first.
WolfBWolf likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 10:40 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjonsilver View Post
A fuel system , pump and injectors will run you less then $1000 if you shop around . Thatís very cheap as far as stuff goes in the diesel world .

One of the real nice things about the IDI engine. Fairly cheap to work on.
WolfBWolf likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 12:26 PM
PSN Veteran

As all have said above:

Look and see if fuel lines are grey-if so, they are probably original or painted over, regardless, signs they are old and dry.

Viton-111 orings for injectors and new return kit is cheap. I used vaseline to roll on the o-rings. I think the top one goes on first. Then new caps and lines.

The lift pump is on passenger side at front of engine. The steel line from pump to filter head has "olives" in each end. These are present to prevent leak back. They are also something to replace when doing fuel maintenance/trouble-shooting.
WolfBWolf likes this.

1996 F350 XL Crew Cab LB 4x4 3:55
Former Ft. Bragg/Pope AFB Truck
DieselSite Coolant Filter
Riff Raff Diesel Turbo & Y Boot Kit
Riff Raff Diesel HPX
Mile Marker 449SS Manual Hubs

1987 F250 XLT Lariat LB 2WD 4:10
6.9/7.3 IDI Swap-SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 John Deere 5055D

1974 Deutz 5506
2950 hours-"The Tank"
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

:)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks everyone, going to try to go get the truck this week, the guy is just waiting to get it moved where I can come listen to it and then load it up to bring it home. You guys have been a big help and with the longevity of diesel engines and cost to fix not being to bad I think I am going to enjoy having this truck!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 10:37 PM
alleged moderator

regular cab, or super cab?
auto trans, or 5 speed?
what is the overall condition?
how many miles on it?
what is his asking price?

even if it needs injector pump, injectors, and glow plugs, as said that will be less than $1000 to put in and then you will have a truck that will run for another 150,000 miles.
my 88 now has 495,000 miles on it and purrs like a swiss army knife.
all it needs is for me to put the new cab on it and it will be good for another 500,000 miles.
HilhavenFarm and WolfBWolf like this.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode