Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

TN BB First altitude run from 7000ft-8500ft

6K views 40 replies 15 participants last post by  DarkShadowDiesel 
#1 ·
IT WORKS!!!!:rockwoot: And does it sing a pretty tune.
I made an 8 mile run from my house at 7000ft to the summit that is at 8500ft.
this thing really pulls hard once lit. It is fairly laggy off idle and you need to give it some good throttle to get it going. Nothing I really find worth bitching about though.
This run I made is all uphill to the summit and EGT's were all over the board depending how I drove it. OD on at a speed of 70 and boost was about 8psi and EGT's were steady at 1100. OD off at the same speed same grade was about 12 psi and 800-850ish. these are estimates not hard numbers because I was all over the place with the throttle but I will say it cleans up all the smoke under full throttle once it builds good boost.
On a full out run I was able to hit 1450 EGT with boost about 21psi which I saw the EGT actually drop while still full tilt on the go pedal for about 15 seconds. I will do far more testing and posting video and other results but this was a dry run to make sure all the parts are working right and nothing is leaking or loose. Here are the specs on the EX:
2002 EX
TN BB with high flow outlet
DP 80 econo tune
custom open element intake
stock auto
35 inch tires with 3.73 gears
stock exhaust-------> only on because wife has a friend with a 4 inch on her EX and the drone is bad.

See less See more
#9 ·
I figured it had to be something. The TN BB turbo should at least perform the same as the 38R. Check for boost leaks also, that 1450 EGT temp is at least 100 degrees higher than it should be with your 35" tires and 3.73 gears. You shouldn't be getting much lag at altitude with that turbo. Mine has about the same bottom end spoolup as the stocker.

#10 ·
it is a little softer off the bottom end than with the stocker but as I said it is nothing to complain about. It is really minimal. I also have the red boost tube hooked up to an IC clamp so the actuator sees no boost. I should have done the rod while the turbo was on my bench. Any good tricks to tighten it up while it is already mounted?

But for anyone wanting this turbo that lives at altitude, have no worries. It looks to be the correct housing. I will get some video in the morning-afternoon and post it.

#12 ·
If you can talk her into a 4" exhaust WITH a muffler those egt will drop a bunch. Not bad noise either. I ran with stock exhaust for a couple years with other upgrades, and the egt were pretty high. After doing the 4" silverline they came way down. So, it sounds pretty good huh? I'd like to hear some vids of it turned up!

#15 ·
Well its about time you got it on:poke::D
At sea level I have no lag.So far I hit 32 psi.,Im going to set my WG for around 38psi and see how it does there.
Ill be running at the track Saturday so Ill have some good info for 1/4 mile runs.

So how do like the singing this turbo does

#16 ·
I would have had it on Tuesday, but I work away from home during the week so I can only do things like this on the weekends. And yes she sings a pretty tune!!!:rockwoot: I should be shooting some video in a couple of hours.

#17 ·
Sorry for no video on the runs. I just did not have time because I was working on 2 PSD's today. I adjusted the actuator rod 6 full turns tighter and fixed a small boost leak at the even bank plenum. I did not do the summit run so I could not really get it opened up but it just flat out hauls the mail. Lag is just not an issue now. It was not bad before but now it spools far better than my old stocker and TN .84.
I am really impressed with how well it spools up here. My wife finally drove it after 2 months down time and she even stated it has never ran this good before. She was shocked when she kinda got on it and boost was right there. She liked how hard it pulled.
I will try to get some video next weekend going up the steeper side of the mountain. that road goes from 3000ft to 7000ft in 11 miles.

#18 ·
Matt, I would love to talk to you on the phone again sometime about this. Now that you fixed a boost leak is you peak boost comparable to before? Does this turbo spool better under all conditions then the drop in .84?

Tom

#20 ·
It does spool better in every way. But I also have the high flow outlet no in addition to the turbo so I bet that helps out as well. Lag is just not there anymore. It is like "right now" boost. I dont know about the max boost because I had no room to hit it but I will say it hit 20PSI really fast and cleaned up all the smoke.

#22 ·
I checked the tracking number and my TN BB should be here today. Going to put it on tomorrow and hook to a sled tomorrow night. I hope I can dial it in before we hook. Any suggestions on the waste gate.

#24 ·
I did not touch my wastegate yet, but I've seen about 28 psi so far un-loaded. I've had to let out of it though cause I was sittin on a 90-100mph :pullover: I do like the mid to top end power of this turbo alot better.

What intake do you other BB guys have?

#26 ·
Are these BB ones coming with a polished compressor housing like the BWD site says? I know one guy got plain one but that might have been a special circumstance.

Tom

#29 ·
Sounds like the BBs are performing well. What ever happened to the back to back testing with the GT and the TN BB units. I am pretty much staying in the TN camp since I have the drop in already but would love to see a comparison. Since BWD has the GT BB on their site it shouldn't be too hard to do. I am sure there are customers out there that wouldn't mind buying a slightly used unit for a discount if BWD pulled from stock to test. :D

I suspect the performance difference between these units is going to be minimal.

#30 ·
I suspect the performance difference between these units is going to be minimal.
I would say your almost right, but the TN will never surge on any truck...:D

I have plans to Back to Back test them, but mine will not be perfect... I have the 1.15 housing on the pareket and the TN has the 1.00:cool:

#32 ·
I would love a test to compare the two.

Tom

#34 ·
Well we do live not too far apart.

Tom

#37 ·
Looks like a good pull!!! Nice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.