Wheel adapters - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bugman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Wheel adapters

Hey all I am new to psd and Fords as a matter of fact. Just picked up a 96 f350, auto with 4.10 and completely stock with 108k miles. Plan on keeping it as close as possible to stock but with some upgrades for drivability and reliability. First off it needs shoes pretty quickly. Still has the 235s on Alcoas. Was thinking of getting the hub centric adapters so I can use the newer Ford wheels and tires. Any good source for high quality steel ones? Was thinking of the 275/65/20s with stock tires. There are some good deals on takeoffs. First off any thoughts on this combination? I believe they should a am planning for RSk 2 inch lift. But not before wheels. Also I can not find any pics of this combo so hoping someone can post some pics with stock 20s.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 05:46 PM
Project Shamu

Re: Wheel adapters

Quality aluminum wheel adapters will work just fine. It's never the material that causes problem, it's always people who don't maintain them. Keep them torqued and maintain your wheel bearings, and they will work just fine. No need for steel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 378,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 06:07 PM
PSN Veteran

Take a look at your wheel studs that are on the truck now. That is how much further that the adapters are going to stick out.

I would just find a wheel that I liked that actually fit my truck rather than going with adapters that may or may not cause problems. Plus if you go with adapters you will need to purchase a 5th tire to use as a spare if you carry a spare tire. Just more expense.
Blue-Truck-Nut97 likes this.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
Take a look at your wheel studs that are on the truck now. That is how much further that the adapters are going to stick out.

I would just find a wheel that I liked that actually fit my truck rather than going with adapters that may or may not cause problems. Plus if you go with adapters you will need to purchase a 5th tire to use as a spare if you carry a spare tire. Just more expense.
Yes I was thinking about the spare but the one I have underneath is the stocker and there really is no room for anything bigger than the 235 anyway. I have an aftermarket trailer hitch and barely a fingers room between the hitch and the tire. So regardless I would still have to get another spare if I get anything other than a stock size. As far as the wheel sticking out, I assume that the OEM Ford 20s have a greater offset so the wheel would have to be push further out so it doesn't hit the springs.

The more interesting question is the effect on the bearings and tie rod ends as well as all the steering components......
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 08:02 PM
alleged moderator

a 275/65/20 is 36 inch tall and 11 inches wide. they will not fit under your F-350 without a 4 inch lift kit and trimming of the front bumper

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 09:12 PM
PSN intsigator

Stock tire with a size of 235 and on 350 sounds like it is a DRW to me.

96 F350 rclb drw 2wd psd (built not bought)
01 Excursion Limited 4wd psd (the wifes ride)
02 F350 cclb drw 4wd psd (the land yacht)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 09:24 PM
PSN Veteran

Wasn't the stock F350 a 245 tire? The F250 is 235.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 09:36 PM
alleged moderator

stock tire size for a single rear wheel is 235/85/16 or 32X9.5X16
stock on a dually is 215/85/16 or 30.5X8.5X16

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-14-2019, 05:27 PM
PSN Veteran

^^^ X2 what Tom said! Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in