Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Wheel adapters

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Patrick Feeley 
#1 ·
Hey all I am new to psd and Fords as a matter of fact. Just picked up a ‘96 f350, auto with 4.10 and completely stock with 108k miles. Plan on keeping it as close as possible to stock but with some upgrades for drivability and reliability. First off it needs shoes pretty quickly. Still has the 235s on Alcoas. Was thinking of getting the hub centric adapters so I can use the newer Ford wheels and tires. Any good source for high quality steel ones? Was thinking of the 275/65/20s with stock tires. There are some good deals on takeoffs. First off any thoughts on this combination? I believe they should a am planning for RSk 2 inch lift. But not before wheels. Also I can not find any pics of this combo so hoping someone can post some pics with stock 20s.
Thanks

#2 ·
Quality aluminum wheel adapters will work just fine. It's never the material that causes problem, it's always people who don't maintain them. Keep them torqued and maintain your wheel bearings, and they will work just fine. No need for steel.

#3 ·
Take a look at your wheel studs that are on the truck now. That is how much further that the adapters are going to stick out.

I would just find a wheel that I liked that actually fit my truck rather than going with adapters that may or may not cause problems. Plus if you go with adapters you will need to purchase a 5th tire to use as a spare if you carry a spare tire. Just more expense.

Reactions: Blue-Truck-Nut97
#4 ·
Yes I was thinking about the spare but the one I have underneath is the stocker and there really is no room for anything bigger than the 235 anyway. I have an aftermarket trailer hitch and barely a fingers room between the hitch and the tire. So regardless I would still have to get another spare if I get anything other than a stock size. As far as the wheel sticking out, I assume that the OEM Ford 20s have a greater offset so the wheel would have to be push further out so it doesn't hit the springs.

The more interesting question is the effect on the bearings and tie rod ends as well as all the steering components......

#9 ·
^^^ X2 what Tom said! Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.