Built a Turbo, Tuning Questions Ensue - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Built a Turbo, Tuning Questions Ensue

I built a TP38, I used a KC S300 style turbine, a 1.0 A/R exhaust housing, 360 thrust bearing, ebpv delete tube, and a 66/88 billet antisurge wheel with an antisurge housing. I also ceramic coated the exhaust side from bellowed up pipes to ebpv and exhaust wrapped the up pipes and down pipe. Well, it makes about 16 psi WOT at about 2600-2800RPM empty on about a 4-5% grade in the 100hp position on a ts6. That is about what the old one made (which was mildly disappointing to see). It also starts making about 1-2 psi at about 1400 rpm, which is nice and the old turbo certainly didn't do that. I'm fairly sure it's on stock injectors, also likely the tunes are canned (tuner was in the truck when I bought it). Is the tuning keeping me from developing more boost? What is the fueling strategy for these trucks? Does it target a specific MAP at a certain RPM with a given throttle position and pull/add fuel to keep it at that desired MAP? Could my puny 90cc injectors do more, or will I not really see the boost numbers I am looking for until I get bigger injectors? (Trying to decide between 180/30 or 200/30). I am trying to hit about 28 PSi once I'm intercooled, so I'm guessing about 32-37 with the stock intake y-pipe. Thanks for reading this and for any input!

96 F-250 4x4 ECLB XLT ZF-5 4.10
3" down pipe to 4" exhaust, bellowed up pipes, TS 6, pre-turbo pyro, stock injectors, hutch and harpoon

Turbo: 66/88 6+6 billet wheel, KC S300 style turbine, 360 thrust bearing 1.0 A/R exhaust housing, 3.5" ported anti-surge 1.15 A/R compressor housing, EBPV delete tube and pedestal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 12:54 PM
Project Shamu

Re: Built a Turbo, Tuning Questions Ensue

Stock injectors are your limiting factor. You might be able to squeeze a psi or two out with tuning, but that'll be it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 378,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 07:17 AM
PSN Veteran

Id check for leaks at exhaust manifold to head interface look close from underneath at rear of block especially on drivers side. Not uncommon to have exhaust manifold bolt heads pop off causing leak. 16 psi sounds low to me, specially with a 1.0, thinking should be 21-22 psi.

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
B&W turnover 5th wheel with Anderson hitch.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Well, no bolt heads popped off. But, the truck did come from the PNW and there is that opening in the driver's side wheel well. I'll look for soot and see if I can find any. I think I need to give the underside of the engine bay some attention with a scotch bright pad and simple green though. It's kind of hard to tell what's soot and what's 140k miles of road grime. Eventually I want to get the tubular headers for the truck. I've read they increase economy (that won't pay itself off for a long time, but it helps me justify it HAH). Also want to do the gear vendors when I can afford it, in theory that pays for itself in 80k-120k miles which this truck will probably easily see. I digress, 16psi seemed low to me too. I'm concerned that injectors won't get me to 30 PSI
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 03:53 AM
Project Shamu

I have 130cc injectors and I maxxed out at 38psi with a brand new turbo. 30psi is not unattainable, just takes some money.

I will be stepping up to a 238cc or 250cc in the future though.

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Lt. Dan, do you have an intercooler with those boost numbers or is that with the stock Y-pipe? Going to do an intercooler after I do E-fuel. I'm looking at the csf 6028 or 6013. Leaning towards the 6028 for the bar and plate construction instead of tube and fin.

Was it a mistake to go for the 6+6 anti-surge 66/88 wheel?
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 06:46 AM
PSN Local

Go with stage 1's and Inter-cool it and you be a mighty happy feller then I reckon. The TS-6 will do fine mine did with about the same setup at that time. Just my 2 cents.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 02:26 PM
Project Shamu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akya2120 View Post
Lt. Dan, do you have an intercooler with those boost numbers or is that with the stock Y-pipe? Going to do an intercooler after I do E-fuel. I'm looking at the csf 6028 or 6013. Leaning towards the 6028 for the bar and plate construction instead of tube and fin.

Was it a mistake to go for the 6+6 anti-surge 66/88 wheel?
I had the stock y-pipe at the time when I made 38psi, but my turbo is severely worn out right now, and after intercooler, I struggle to make 25psi now. So I have a DieselSite Wicked Turbo on the way.

When I intercooled it, I noticed a 3-4psi drop in boost, which was a little disappointing, but, I was able to push the truck harder, for longer periods of time because of my drop in EGT's, thus I was able to make more power, even with less boost.

The stock turbo is only "good" for 25-30psi, anything after that and its a crap shoot on when it will die. Could be immediately, could be years. Mine lasted almost 3 years and 30,000 miles and its pretty much toast, but over that 3 years I noticed my boost levels dropping slowly over time.

As far as intercooler, I would recommend trying to find a stock aluminum tank 7.3 intercooler, they can be had for $100-150, and they work great. That or a 6.0 intercooler. They are both great.

The 6+6 anti surge wheel wasn't a bad idea, it'll serve you well for a while.

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 03:22 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akya2120 View Post
Well, no bolt heads popped off. But, the truck did come from the PNW and there is that opening in the driver's side wheel well. I'll look for soot and see if I can find any. I think I need to give the underside of the engine bay some attention with a scotch bright pad and simple green though. It's kind of hard to tell what's soot and what's 140k miles of road grime. Eventually I want to get the tubular headers for the truck. I've read they increase economy (that won't pay itself off for a long time, but it helps me justify it HAH). Also want to do the gear vendors when I can afford it, in theory that pays for itself in 80k-120k miles which this truck will probably easily see. I digress, 16psi seemed low to me too. I'm concerned that injectors won't get me to 30 PSI
Great no bolt heads are off, with a strong flashlight get under the truck and look up at the interface between E manifold and each head, as you may know there are no exhaust to head gaskets from the factory. Any signs of soot would indicate a leak.

I dont understand what you mean by hole in drivers side wheel well? On my trucks there is an opening designed into the inner fender skirt on both sides of the truck opposite the exhaust manifolds, thinking that might be to let Engine heat out? Often thought of closing that opening in to keep out mud etc, but its down the priority list.

Tube headers, Gear Venders would be veddy niiice, clearly you have the OBSession...

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
B&W turnover 5th wheel with Anderson hitch.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-31-2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Lt. Dan, thanks for the info. So this is not a perfect way of determining what boost numbers I should see, but I think it's a decent rule of thumb, (90cc/130cc)38PSI≈26PSI. So if I had built a new stock turbo I should be seeing about 10PSI more than I am now. I'm having a bit of a hard time believing the upgraded compressor and turbine are generating 10PSI less than the stock turbo. I built a boost leak tester, and it should also test for exhaust leaks since I bought a cap for the down pipe. Time to spray some soapy water.

I'm probably still going to go for the CSF 6028. It will probably give me more pressure drop, but it will give me all the cooling capacity I will ever need. The real dream would be water to air intercooler since it gives you the best of both worlds, but I'm not going to bother setting that up. I'd probably just swap a 6.7 at that point.

JCart, the whole in the wheel well let's water hit the headers. Hot cast iron + a nice splash of cold water going down the road makes for metal that doesn't want to be in the same shape as it was before. I am almost certain I have an exhaust leak at the header but I don't want to spend $100 in gaskets and bolts, and ~4 hours extracting seized bolts to find out nothing changed. I have a buddy who is an awesome fabricator. I'm going to 3D print him a set of exhaust jig Legos(essentially) and he's going to use it to make money, but in return he's going to make me some headers. $1500 for headers is just expensive. When he makes em, I'll see what he'd be willing to sell them for maybe folks will get some from him, that would be a win win haha.

96 F-250 4x4 ECLB XLT ZF-5 4.10
3" down pipe to 4" exhaust, bellowed up pipes, TS 6, pre-turbo pyro, stock injectors, hutch and harpoon

Turbo: 66/88 6+6 billet wheel, KC S300 style turbine, 360 thrust bearing 1.0 A/R exhaust housing, 3.5" ported anti-surge 1.15 A/R compressor housing, EBPV delete tube and pedestal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in