Intercooler. Cxracing/banks/hypermax - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Lt.Dan
  • 1 Post By Patrick Feeley

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Intercooler. Cxracing/banks/hypermax

Yes this is another intercooler post. So here’s my truck, it’s a 1997 f350 7.3 crew cab long bed 4x4 with 140k miles on it. After doing the basic modifications to the truck such as 6637 filter, 3”down pipe 5” straight pipe exhaust, PHP hydra, gauges, and the tru cool transmission cooler, it’s time to start focusing on the intercooler or lack there of. I narrowed it down to these 3 companies (they may be the only companies who make a complete kit?). I’m looking for a quality complete kit, rather than gathering parts from different manufacturers.
I’m looking for reviews on each of these companies. From quality to longevity.
I’ve read and googled as much as I could still without a clear answer in my mind.
I know the cxracing kit is cheaper than the banks and hypermax, but if the banks and hypermax are worth the price tag then I would be willing to spend the extra coin.
So somewhere please help me in the right direction.
Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 03:42 AM
College Student

Re: Intercooler. Cxracing/banks/hypermax

I know you said you want a kit, but I parting it together is way cheaper.
The only somewhat hard thing to find would be an E99 spyder. Not that hard to find if a little research is done. I found one for $150.
A 7.3 aluminum or 6.0 intercooler can be picked up for $100 or less. From my local wrecking yard, I picked up a 6.0 intercooler for $30 in great condition.
You can either use newer 7.3 pipes or get some already made for the obs. I would look into the pre made ones because I didnt really like the very tight fit of the 7.3 pipes... But this can be found for $100- $150. https://www.carsonstaufferdiesel.com...ercooler-pipes

Total cost would be $400 to $500.

The only reason I am really stating this is because this is half of both cx racing and banks, and about a third the cost of hypermax....

95 Auto. 4.10 gears. SCLB. Stock besides Baby Swamps Injectors and TS-6 chip with swamps tunes. AFE MaxFlow. Glowshift trans, pyro, and boost. 6.0 IC KC TP38R. Converted EBPV to exhaust brake.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 04:21 AM
Project Shamu

I agree, piecing the kit together isn't all that bad. I bought the Carson Stauffer Diesel pipes, and they were pretty nice fit. Then you just buy an e99 spyder, 7.3 or 6.0 intercooler, and a boot kit and its done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 378,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 03:39 PM
PSN Local

Ok help me out here.... I'm looking for the parts to do the same thing as you Late... What is the e99 spyder? Is this a spyder out of an early 99 7.3? If so I'll have to go grab the one for sale in my neck of the woods.

Cj

1997 F350 CCLB 7.3, Eaton Fuller RTO-6610, 4x4, 3.54, otherwise stock
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjfisher View Post
Ok help me out here.... I'm looking for the parts to do the same thing as you Late... What is the e99 spyder? Is this a spyder out of an early 99 7.3? If so I'll have to go grab the one for sale in my neck of the woods.

Cj
Yes the e99 spyder is out of an early 99 7.3. This is the only one that will mount to the OBS 7.3 without modifications. The later 7.3 spyder are different sizes, heights, and different lengths. It just doesn’t work.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 06:51 PM
Project Shamu

The v band clamp and the oring where it attaches to the turbo outlet are different too. Some people think they are the same and can reuse the OBS parts, but they absolutely are different.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 02:36 AM
PSN Veteran

This is what I have in my ancient parts list for the early 99 retrofits:

Turbo Compressor Outlet Y-Pipe, Early 99 (used for 99+ Intercooler Retrofits)
(Ford) F81Z-6K889-BA

Turbo Compressor Outlet to Y-Pipe Clamp (used for 99+ Intercooler Retrofits)
(Ford) F81Z-8287-DA

Turbo Outlet Y-Pipe to Intake Manifold Boot, Early 99 (used for 99+ Intercooler Retrofits)
(Ford) F81Z-6C640-FA
(International) 1821764C1

Turbo Compressor Outlet to Y-Pipe O-Ring (94-early 99)
(Ford) F4TZ-9E436-A
(International) 1818372C1

If there is a different O-ring (gasket) for the early 99, I don't know what that part is (RiffRaff lists the same part number for 94 - E99 as I have in my list. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Well since after posting this post, my water pump started to go. Leaking from the front. I assume coming from the weep hole.
So in an attempt to do the intercooler and water pump at once, I ordered the banks intercooler kit.
I know it’s the more expensive way of going about this, for the ease, hopefully it’s worth it? This will be the only banks product on this truck so let’s see how this goes.
Thanks again to everyone who chimed in. A ton of knowledge on this forum.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 03:57 AM
Project Shamu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
This is what I have in my ancient parts list for the early 99 retrofits:

Turbo Compressor Outlet Y-Pipe, Early 99 (used for 99+ Intercooler Retrofits)
(Ford) F81Z-6K889-BA

Turbo Compressor Outlet to Y-Pipe Clamp (used for 99+ Intercooler Retrofits)
(Ford) F81Z-8287-DA

Turbo Outlet Y-Pipe to Intake Manifold Boot, Early 99 (used for 99+ Intercooler Retrofits)
(Ford) F81Z-6C640-FA
(International) 1821764C1

Turbo Compressor Outlet to Y-Pipe O-Ring (94-early 99)
(Ford) F4TZ-9E436-A
(International) 1818372C1

If there is a different O-ring (gasket) for the early 99, I don't know what that part is (RiffRaff lists the same part number for 94 - E99 as I have in my list. Cheers!
Sorry my post was confusing. The o ring is the same, but I couldn't get mine to seal, I ended up finding online someone pulled the gasket off an oil filter and used it. So I tried it out, and it worked perfect, sealed it way better!

Edit: it was a Fram PH6607 filter. Nice square cut, fit in the lip of the turbo outlet perfect!
JCart likes this.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 04:08 AM
PSN Veteran

I was going to mention the oil filter gasket (one from a filter for a 2002 Honda Insight which the PH6607 fits). I have one, but I'm not sure if I used it or a new factory gasket when I had my turbo off. Cheers!
JCart likes this.

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode