Towing Tunes - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Project Shamu

Towing Tunes

Hey guys, I've been thinking about it alot lately, and I'm trying to wrap my head around this, maybe you guys can answer it.

When I tow my trailer, I tow in my 40hp Heavy Tow tune from Swamps, now this tune is a slouch compared to my hot street or extreme tune, but it allows me to keep my foot at the metal in 3rd without my EGTs getting over 1250*, which is quite nice. But it's quite slow and I have to push the truck very hard

So now im thinking how I get better at pulling these hills, and not needing to push it so hard. And I thought about injectors and a turbo to do this, but then I thought, I'm only using my 40hp tune, so the injectors are far from being tapped out right? I just need someway to keep the EGTs lower, so i can push it harder in an 80hp or higher tune right?

I already have an intercooler, and WW2, but what is the next step? Water meth? Better turbo? Better tuning? Or am I thinking about it wrong, and I do need different injectors to step up?
RandyTeague likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 378,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 03:04 AM
PSN Newb

Re: Towing Tunes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Dan View Post
Hey guys, I've been thinking about it alot lately, and I'm trying to wrap my head around this, maybe you guys can answer it.

When I tow my trailer, I tow in my 40hp Heavy Tow tune from Swamps, now this tune is a slouch compared to my hot street or extreme tune, but it allows me to keep my foot at the metal in 3rd without my EGTs getting over 1250*, which is quite nice. But it's quite slow and I have to push the truck very hard

So now im thinking how I get better at pulling these hills, and not needing to push it so hard. And I thought about injectors and a turbo to do this, but then I thought, I'm only using my 40hp tune, so the injectors are far from being tapped out right? I just need someway to keep the EGTs lower, so i can push it harder in an 80hp or higher tune right?

I already have an intercooler, and WW2, but what is the next step? Water meth? Better turbo? Better tuning? Or am I thinking about it wrong, and I do need different injectors to step up?
Lt. Dan, In the same boat. Trying to figure next move too. Curious,what gear ratio you have in rearend.? Have to done anything to tranny?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Project Shamu

I have 4.10s with 35" (33.75" tires with weight on them), and a heavily modified E4OD from DieselSite.

I'm thinking about stepping up to 4.30s, but I'm afraid it's going to be just too much gearing and is going to scream the entire time

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Project Shamu

Also thinking about a GearVendors...

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 04:30 AM
PSN Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Dan View Post
I have 4.10s with 35" (33.75" tires with weight on them), and a heavily modified E4OD from DieselSite.

I'm thinking about stepping up to 4.30s, but I'm afraid it's going to be just too much gearing and is going to scream the entire time
I have 410s too but with the bigger tires my ratio is down to 3.92 is what formula shows. I do believe the 430s to 456s will help pull hills and mountains and I agree would scream down the highway. 7.3 technology is old school.
Also it's been suggested to add electric fuel pump to maximize injectors. These old trucks are probably not getting full fuel due to screens in tanks getting stopped up and the slow mechanical fuel pump. Eliminating that would save fuel leaks in the valley. That is probably my next move. Wintering in Arizona so no mountain pulling for awhile. Let me know what you decide and how it turns out as I will let you know too.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 03:22 PM
PSN Local

Lt. Dan,

I haven't heard good things about the Gear Vendors units.... I wish I had book-marked the sites that I was reading. As I recall, the overdrive units were really designed for high output cars then later were adapted to trucks. It seems that the units are more prone to premature failure when put behind a truck that is towing. I considered one for my truck prior to swapping the transmission. I had a friend that bought one that needed a rebuild but after looking at it he decided that it wouldn't hold up in his truck either. I'll like to find a tune that mimics the International 235 hp program that put out 620 ft-lbs of torque at 1400 rpm. Just curious - how much torque does your tow tune allow?

Cj

1997 F350 CCLB 7.3, Eaton Fuller RTO-6610, 4x4, 3.54, otherwise stock
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Project Shamu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjfisher View Post
Lt. Dan,

I haven't heard good things about the Gear Vendors units.... I wish I had book-marked the sites that I was reading. As I recall, the overdrive units were really designed for high output cars then later were adapted to trucks. It seems that the units are more prone to premature failure when put behind a truck that is towing. I considered one for my truck prior to swapping the transmission. I had a friend that bought one that needed a rebuild but after looking at it he decided that it wouldn't hold up in his truck either. I'll like to find a tune that mimics the International 235 hp program that put out 620 ft-lbs of torque at 1400 rpm. Just curious - how much torque does your tow tune allow?

Cj
The Gear Vendors were originally designed for big 5 ton trucks, but were later adapted and scaled down to fit in pickup trucks. They have certain things they recommend not doing, such as exhaust or engine braking. They also recommend you dont try and back up a hill with a heavy load. Seems these units are good at putting force on the drive side of all the gears, but not so much on the coast side.

I have heard of their hit and miss reliability also, which makes me weary, and damn their expensive, but jeez would it be nice to have gear splitting and the double overdrive with some very low rearend gears...

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 03:47 PM
PSN Local

Lt.Dan,

Interesting... hadn't heard that about Gear Vendors. Now if you could find one that had been behind a 5 ton... I hear you on the gearing, though, as that is what pushed me to load a 10 speed in my truck. More gears :).

Cj

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Project Shamu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjfisher View Post
Lt.Dan,

Interesting... hadn't heard that about Gear Vendors. Now if you could find one that had been behind a 5 ton... I hear you on the gearing, though, as that is what pushed me to load a 10 speed in my truck. More gears :).

Cj
Yeah I wish I hadn't dumped $5k into my E4OD and spent the money on something like you have. Oh well, maybe next time.

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 07:32 PM
PSN Local

Well the 10 speed has come with its own challenges... I had to learn to shift all over again. There is also adjusting the clutch as I didn't get the auto adjust clutch setup. Cab is noisier as well so at some point I'll need to add some sound proofing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode