Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

On the look for a new rebuilt engine for 1997 f250 powerstroke

3K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  stpenroute 
#1 ·
Hello psn!! I am on the look out for a rebuilt, or remanufactored engine for my 1997 Ford F-250 7.3 power stroke. I want to get this rebuilt engine, and I want to do a little stuff to it after I get it,(injectors, HPOP, bigger turbo with wicked wheel, etc etc. I herd of the rivivas company that remanufactures engines, and I herd they do a really good job doing it. I still haven’t settled yet, and would still keep researching. Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you!

#2 ·
ford reman from the dealer parts department is the only way i would go.

reviva and jasper engines are for getting the truck running to get rid of it to some unsuspecting sap that does not know any better.
i have never heard of a reviva engine lasting for more than about 10,000 miles.
jasper has gotten a little better, but i still would never use one of their engines.

#3 ·
RCE,

What about these guys: powerstrokehelp.com? I don't know what opinions various folks around PSN have about Bill, but I have found his videos helpful and interesting.

Cj

#6 ·
Yeah, I get that... but I’ve looked on Fords website and they have Diesel engines, but they don’t have the 1997 7.3?? Where should I buy it from then?

#9 ·
Ahhh thank you so much!!! I’ll try that!

#10 ·
tjctransport, your posts are helpful so I'm curious about your negative comment. Are you referring to Bill and his website Powerstrokehelp.com? If you are, I don't understand from my perspective. I've learned very much about what to look for and how to address 6.0 issues, repairs and upgrades by using his website. I've 2 '04 6.0s and got tired of the grief; 6.0 issues and mechanic/dealership incompetence and ripoffs! So searching the interwebs I found PSH and have been able to understand and solve EGR, FICM, oil cooler, ICP, IPR issues, et al. We all have our opinions and IMO/experience PSH was and is a very helpful resource.

#14 ·
As far as the HPOP oil change, he states the HPO doesnt recirculate through the rest of the oil system, so the oil in the reservoir is extremely old and thick and nasty, whereas infact, oil flows through that reservoir at an incredible rate, the higher the rpm, the faster it flows. I wouldn't say hes completely incompetent, because he has taught me a thing or two, but just take everything with a grain of salt.

#17 ·
I bought a '99 7.3 new. Owned it until selling it in Nov '03 in order to buy my new '04 6.0 which I have today. I'm a leadfoot and the 6.0 vs my 7.3 was/is a hotrod and more fun to drive. I see that those who tow seeking slow and steady engines capable of running somewhat easily into high-mileage prefer the 7.3. I've 2 '04 6.0s purchased new, and F350 4x Dually and a 4x Excursion. I'm as much a 6.0 over the 7.3 fan today as ever; my 6.0s run hard, giving me the leadfoot response that makes my drive enjoyable. And I track my MPG; my F350 returns 11.4 and my Excursion gives me 12.7 which shockingly enough to me is what the MPG computer confirms, or vice versa.
So thanks for the good exchange on the issue of Bill and Powerstrokehelp.com. I'll continue to consult him and his website.

#19 ·
i have a 7.3 IDI with turbo with 495,000 miles on it and it has never been opened up.
rod ehard and put away wet every day for 29 years. and it still plows snow.
i also have a 7.3 powerstroke with 194k miles on it also never opened up. same thing, rode hard and put away wet every day, and it has plowed snow every winter since new.both these trucks never gave me a lick of trouble other than dead batteries and will do anything i ask them too.
i had 6 other 7.3's that had over 250k miles on them when i got rid of when i closed shop.
the 6.0 i can not say the same thing about. they all needed major work at around 100k miles. between the oil coolers, EGR coolers, EGR valves, no start when hot issues,
and bad turbos, they cost us a fortune in the 4 years we had them.

#20 ·
tjctransport, I was going to move on from this thread as we've had a good exchange. However, your last reply was detailed and helpful, especially that you claimed your extensive experience with diesels; I've friends and acquaintances whom have 7.3s and also I could own another given an opportunity. My point is to express appreciation for your followup reply. You're an experienced resource which I disregarded initially for interpreting what I thought were flippant responses. When seeking help from this forum its likely out of frustration from the end of a wrench late on a Sunday afternoon. Even Lt Dan's responses reveal his integrity as he sought to clarify/extend himself via Bill's position. (Its important to know and distinguish that while Bill is not now a fan of 6.4s he recognizes the need to help 6.4 owners.)
I almost deleted this message upon reread thinking its a little much, maybe too deep, but decided to submit my thoughts because our trucks are complicated and costly to maintain/repair. A read of much of the requests for help on this forum reveal at a minimum substantial frustration for need of knowledgeable help, which comes full circle to my experience; incompetence, ignorance and corruption among dealers and local repair shops. To be sure, my F350 FICM acted up while under warranty and the dealer couldn't/wouldn't resolve after a couple of tows to and days in the shop! I actually made my way into the shop the last time where I found 2 techs(so-called) red-lining the motor while watching the monitor! I actually stopped them, took control of my truck and drove it home. This forum alerted me to the FICM being poorly manufactured causing it to breakdown under heat cycles and reco'd FICM-repair.com where I purchased the lifetime-covered FICM build with 80hp bump which solved the problem and substantially improved the overall performance. So I sent in my Excursion FICM for the same build and this was many years/miles ago already.
This forum is very important and members like you become/are saviors to others seeking help with substantial mechanical problems that can also represent substantial cost, too. Been there, done that and know I can seek help here so thank you very much.

#21 ·
6.0 over 7.3, eh? JUST SAY NO TO DRUGS!

Many years ago I bought a lightly used and extremely clean fully optioned '04 6.0 F250 with very low miles. When I bought it I had no clue (who knew you had to get a degree in diesel engines before purchasing one) although the word was out amongst friends that even though the 6.0 was a bit more powerful and updated, it was just not as reliable for hundreds and hundreds of thousands of miles as the 7.3. Well.... he he he, I figured what could be the difference? Boy, I sure got an education! After a blown head gasket, failed EGR cooler, oil cooler failure, ICP, then IPR failures sticking VGT vanes and sticking injectors, dash lights perpetually on no matter what or who worked on the damn thing and finally a turbo failure - I got to understand REAL WELL the difference between the 2 motors. I felt like a total MORON because all the information is out there in spades about how much of a POS the 6.0 really is (unless you drop the 4-5000K to "bulletproof" it). But unknowingly, I had to go and experience it for myself subsequently swearing I would NEVER buy another Ford product - EVER! My remedy? I bought an older 7.3! To date I have not had a single #########ed failure of ANY sort! Power? I bought a Hydrochip and Andrew Arthur tunes for it larger exhaust and an S&B CAI. Yeah... anytime you have to drop many thousands of dollars on a motor just to bring it up to the reliability level of the previous generation of motors, you have yourself one BIG PIECE OF SH*T on your hands!

Did I mention the almost 200,000 trouble free miles on my 7.3???? He he he he he

6.0.... PFFFFFFFFFT!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.