Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Needing alittle OBS 7.3 mod guidance

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Adrian Smith 
#1 ·
So ol ****** is getting some much needed tlc minus the engine I’ll be building for it this spring. Just noticed my turbo is junk after the last camping haul. Grabbed the shaft in the turbo and had an 1/8” in and out. WOW. Up/down was decent but regardless let’s see what’s inside. What do you know the backing plate is screwed as well as bearings and both turbine and compressor. Could you believe I was still building 22psi! I scored a lot of free stuff. A perfectly useable turbo, a e99 spyder, and a 6.0 trans cooler. I paid $100 for the intercooler and a set of sd7.3 pipes and 6.0 pipes. MY INQUIRY: I have done the cuts for the intercooler to fit. Fits nice. But with that big trans cooler and already having bent the center support, seems like an odd fit for that trans cooler in front of the ac condenser. Also, I am looking at the kc turbo shaft kit. Upgraded turbine and compressor wheel balanced assembly. Sorry for the long intro but that’s that. Oh, and I have ebpv delete and pedestal, 3”downpipe (curiosity with bellowed pipes on budget) out of box ts6, newer hansers stock e4od, yada yada. Good truck but my 10k lb camper make ****** grunt. Then again getting dusted by a cracked factory air box before I owned didn’t help the engine any. Smoke till it’s warm. Any insight or?

#3 ·
You can try to put the trans cooler between the rad and the AC condenser. I have seen people have pretty good luck with this.

#4 ·
I actually got both coolers on yesterday. As far as compression I would like to check it soon however I just haven’t gotten around to getting the Glowplug fitting to do so. I have a core 7.3 I just picked up for $250 that I plan to overhaul this spring. My main goal was to get my turbo rebuild and cooler install done to at least take the camper to the lake for mud season. Fun show. The truck does run decent when it’s hot and it pulled the camper ok but maybe it smoked till hot because of the turbo puking oil? Hard to say. I do know that if you rev the truck in park up towards 3k it kinda pops or backfires. It does get up and go unloaded pretty healthy. It’s odd. I just wanna get my other engine done. Better valvetrain, pushrods, studs and such. I don’t need a sled truck but I’d definitely like more pulling power. E4OD as well

#5 ·
Here’s a few pictures of the progress. Gonna start late on the front reassembly. Waiting for my bellowed pipes and my turbo parts to be bead blasted. Then gotta make the intercooler tubes. I’ll have to upload a picture of the intercooler “actually” mounted a slide the one shown is a mock up for bracket measurement.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.