96 OBS Build Questions 400-550hp Goal - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

96 OBS Build Questions 400-550hp Goal

Hey guys,

So I bought a white OBS truck and I love it. Probably going to try and give it to my grand kids if that ever happens. Has 142k miles, ZF-5 trans, and it's a 4x4. Previous owner did some upgrades and some routine maintenance stuff. It has a 3" down pipe to 4" exhaust, 285/75/16 tires, recently grease packed wheel bearings, new rear lsd and fresh oil in both, TS 6 position (stock/+25/+50/+100/high idle/security), new water pump, new organic luk clutch, aFe big boost filter from rifraff, post turbo pyrometer (will be switching to header pyro asap, as is I won't run it past about 750°F on the post turbo temp), and supposedly injectors. No idea what the injectors are or if they are even replaced. After I bought it I asked the last owner if the injectors were stock and he told me he had seen paperwork form the original owner for the labor/parts but couldn't find it. I suspect I will have to pull a valve cover to determine if they are stock injectors or not but if someone knows a way to determine this without opening the top end that would be awesome.

As stated in the post title I want to make between 400 and 550 horse. I also want to get 20+ mpg unloaded.

There's a couple of things on my short list before I start digging into performance stuff. First and foremost there are two things I need to fix. One is the front fuel tank doesn't read fuel level, I suspect a cracked float. Might use it as a reason to do an SD tank swap. The other is a very slight surge at idle about half the time when I start the truck warm. The surge is probably about 50 RPMs but I can feel the whole truck vibrate and kind of rock itself. I suspect it's one to three of three things, the HPOP oil needs to be changed/cleaned out and I need to run some archoil ar9100 to clean off any varnish that may be there, and/or the IPS needs to be replaced, and/or it's something to do with the tensioner pulley (all things I found trying to figure out what the problem is). I will unplug it and check for the telltale oil in the connector later today.

The next things on the short list are the header pyro, and an intercooler to keep my temps down. My headers are pretty rough looking, which makes me wonder if I should go for after market headers and potentially up pipes. Will I see gains from headers and up pipes?

My dream would be a compound turbo setup, but I think that might be overkill for my power goal, although I really like the idea of boost everywhere and lower EGTs. What is the range on power goals for a compound turbo?

On the long list to reach my power goals I suspect I will need at least 200/200 injectors. To get the economy I am looking for I suspect I will need an upgraded HPOP. Maybe even a dual HPOP? Certainly at some point I will need to upgrade the clutch, too. I like the idea of going to the super duty PCM for better fuel tables and engine tuning ability (I know I will need to retune the PCM to run single shot injectors). I want the truck to be a reliable daily driver. To me this means I will need to sort out the fuelling system a bit too. I've looked at doing the hutch mod, but if I do a SD front tank is this still required? I am also considering going for the poly Bronco tank in the rear for a whopping 73 gallons under the bed. Likely I need to pull my current fuel senders and clean the pickup screens, again I might just use this as an excuse to upgrade the tanks and be done futzing with dropping tanks or lifting the bed. I'd rather do a bit of an upgrade to never have to deal with it again. Is an efuel setup necessary for my power goals? Will it make the truck more reliable and serviceable? From what I understand the stock internals in these engines are good to about 600hp, after that it needs stronger push rods and valve springs. Is this true, or is that something I need to consider before moving towards my power goals? At what power levels do I need to start looking at flame rings? Maybe the biggest question, if I'm already going down this path, would I end up spending a whole lot more to aim higher?

I know there is a huge load of questions and thoughts in here. Thanks for reading it and any advice you can give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 09:17 PM
PSN Local

238/80 or 238/100 injectors . Will be 500-550hp . 238/80 is what I'm doing in one of my obs's.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 02:39 AM
Project Shamu

Re: 96 OBS Build Questions 400-550hp Goal

238/80 seems to be more and more common and a good all around injector, it's what I will be doing as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 378,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1983 F150 SCSB Flareside, 302 w/ AOD Trans

2002 F450 SCFB, 7.3 PSD 2wd w/ 144,000 miles
SOLD

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 03:35 AM
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Dan View Post
238/80 seems to be more and more common and a good all around injector, it's what I will be doing as well.
I just cant decided t4 or kc drop in yet though
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 02:14 PM
Project Shamu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78-79fordman View Post
I just cant decided t4 or kc drop in yet though
Check out this thread I started https://www.powerstrokenation.com/fo...o-options.html

1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 378,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more

1983 F150 SCSB Flareside, 302 w/ AOD Trans

2002 F450 SCFB, 7.3 PSD 2wd w/ 144,000 miles
SOLD
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM
PSN Local

First of all big gap of power. The mods needed for 400hp are very different from 550hp.
No need for a SD PCM your current PCM can be chipped/tuned to do what you need it to do. Especially being a ZF5 truck a SD pcm will be pointless.
238cc injectors will be a good choice. Even 200cc will get you to your goals. An upgraded Hpop is not exactly needed with hybrids of those size. Your 15 hpop will keep up with good tuning. If it dosent hold ICP desired then you can upgraded the hpop later. E fuel is a must. Low fuel pressure can damage the injectors. The mechanical pump can barely supply 160/100s. E fuel is easier to replace a failed pump. I would recommend the T4 kit and a S366SXE or S369SXE the 369 being a little larger to spool up. S364.5 if you want a faster spooling turbo. Or Compounds as they work great for tow rigs.

Here is what I would do first.
Hydra chip with good tuning
E fuel system
T4 with SXE 300 series turbo
238cc injectors (if you can afford opt for new over remans)
Stronger clutch as your LUK will be toast. I roasted a stock level LUK with only a few hard pulls.
Diagnostic equiptment to troubleshoot and see PIDs in real time.

Have a god tuner build you a 400-450hp tune. If you go higher you will want headstuds and valve springs for insurance.
410customs likes this.

97 250 7.3 Eaton VMP TVS, IDI performance T4 mount, S369SXE, my B code 350/200- my tunes- honey badger SR, Efuel, 5" SKY RSK TTB, BMW M3 seats, Toyo M/T
54 GMC 453T
45 Chevy 451 diesel
51 Mack A51T
1916 Federal 1 1/2T
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:40 AM
Native Californian

"As stated in the post title I want to make between 400 and 550 horse. I also want to get 20+ mpg unloaded."

, A unicorn for sure, esp the 20 mpg. Stick with the 400 HP goals unless you have unlimited time and money. Fast, cheap, and reliable don't all come together. Pick two of the three.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Byron
1999 F-350, 4x4, ZF6, AFE CAI, 4" DP and Exhaust by Diamond Eye, Fuel Rail FX by RiffRaff, Cat Deleted, Cody tuned
1997 F-350 CCLB DRW, 7.3 PSD, Heavily Modded SOLD
1995 F-350 CCLB SRW, ZF 5-Speed, 4x4, Stock, SOLD
1997 F-250 SC Flatbed, ZF 5-Speed, Stock, SOLD
2010 K-Z Sportster Toyhauler 37K, Various horse and stock trailers
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Today, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

From what I have read with an upgraded fuel pump peoe have seen 20-23mpg with these trucks.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Today, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

People* and not fuel pump HPOP. More HPOP pressure means finer atomization of fuel and better MPGs
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Today, 03:14 AM
Native Californian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akya2120 View Post
From what I have read with an upgraded fuel pump peoe have seen 20-23mpg with these trucks.
Well, what you have "read" and what is real world with the 7.3 are entirely different. I have owned 5 of these myself and had countless friends who have owned them. 18 mpg is a good day. 20 is the Cummins, not the 7.3....

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Byron
1999 F-350, 4x4, ZF6, AFE CAI, 4" DP and Exhaust by Diamond Eye, Fuel Rail FX by RiffRaff, Cat Deleted, Cody tuned
1997 F-350 CCLB DRW, 7.3 PSD, Heavily Modded SOLD
1995 F-350 CCLB SRW, ZF 5-Speed, 4x4, Stock, SOLD
1997 F-250 SC Flatbed, ZF 5-Speed, Stock, SOLD
2010 K-Z Sportster Toyhauler 37K, Various horse and stock trailers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in