97 f250 upgrade questions - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
348K and still working

97 f250 upgrade questions

Hey everyone. Just wondering if the wicked wheel 2 is still the best option on a stock turbo with the 360 degree upgraded bearing rebuild kit. Truck is a 1997 f250 extended cab automatic that's a daily driver used also to pull occasional heavy trailers and in the winter I have a 8.5 foot snow plow on it. Shes sitting at 250k on the odometer.
I've pulled the engine and had the E4OD rebuilt along with the transfer case to be able to withstand plowing and more then stock horsepower. I'm putting in 180cc injectors with 30 percent nozzles from Fullforce diesel with the hydra chip and running a Edge CTS 2 monitor instead of mechanical gauges. I'm also gonna take the heads off to inspect the piston walls and valve seats for wear. I'll be putting in ARP headstuds since I'm this far and if budget allows I'll do new bellowed up pipes and an Adrenaline HPOP. Do I have to run an intercooler since Fullforce wants 900 bucks for one made to fit the OBS and I've read many posts about the super duty stock ones fitting and not fitting without modifications. I still dont know where to go if I was to reuse an old setup. If it's not imperative I'd like to use that money for the hoop and etc...
Anyway just curious if anyone has any suggestions or sees any issues with my combination I may have overlooked. No parts have been ordered as of yet. Still waiting for the tranny and transfer case bill so I know what's left in the budget and finalizing my plan to get the best bang for my buck ha ha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 07:05 AM
PSN Local

Go different injectors go 160/30 or jump to hybrids
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 04:57 PM
PSN Newb

Garage
Re: 97 f250 upgrade questions

installing new injectors are a pretty big job. I would not want to do it more than once because I went too small the first time. Get some 238/80s from rosewood and do a DIY e-fuel kit and be done with it. Also I used this intercooler kit and it was great. https://www.cxracing.com/products-by...IT-F350-IC0026

THIS TRUCK IS FOR SALE!! 1997 Powerstroke, 4WD Long Bed, 141K miles, 3" down pipe, 4" exhaust, no CAT, Tymar intake, PHP Hydra chip with Gearhead tunes, Beans air-force impeller, 1.0 Quick spool, EBV delete, Intercooler, DIY E-fuel, Rosewood 238/80 injectors, 6.0 Trans cooler, 6.0 plastic fan.
Code:
https://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/5740136

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 06:42 AM
PSN Veteran

I don't know much about the Wicked Wheel, but the drop in turbine wheel from KC Turbos is an awesome upgrade for our turbos.

I replaced my compressor wheel with this one from Pure Turbo...

I just happen to have it in my garage from a Superduty project. I didn't even realize it would fit in our smaller turbos. The combination of both of those wheels gave me an extra 8lbs of boost.

1997 F350 with a few mods and over 392,000 miles.

National Spring Leafs, E-Fuel, John Woods Transmission, Detroit Lockers Front & Rear, 4:56 Gears, Michelin XML Tires, Custom RSK...

Lots of pictures
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 07:57 AM
Cure4OBS

Garage
I just purchased kc turbos complete balanced assembly. Bigger turbine and billet compressor. I’m also installing a 6.0 intercooler. Trying to figure out where to put the 6.0 trans cooler 😤 maybe that center support can come out?? Making it hard to sandwich between intercooler and ac condenser..I’ll be keeping an eye on this post as I’m kind of in the same boat
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 02:01 AM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Smith View Post
I just purchased kc turbos complete balanced assembly. Bigger turbine and billet compressor. Iím also installing a 6.0 intercooler. Trying to figure out where to put the 6.0 trans cooler 😤 maybe that center support can come out?? Making it hard to sandwich between intercooler and ac condenser..Iíll be keeping an eye on this post as Iím kind of in the same boat
The 6.0 trans cooler is too big to add to my sandwich up front. John Wood had me use a V10 Excursion trans cooler. It fits perfectly in our front bumper. Been working perfect for over 300,000 miles, but the heaviest I tow is 15k.

Removing that center support is not a good idea, unless you add something in there to take it's place when you are done stacking everything. Our core support is already prone to cracking. There will probably be plenty of people that say cut it out, it's not needed. We all use our trucks differently. I am off-road a lot and things can get rough out there. If you spend most of your time on asphalt then maybe removing that center support won't be such a bad thing.

National Spring Leafs, E-Fuel, John Woods Transmission, Detroit Lockers Front & Rear, 4:56 Gears, Michelin XML Tires, Custom RSK...

Lots of pictures
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 09:23 AM
Cure4OBS

Garage
Well I just went for it. I pondered the pros and cons. I do have some of the typical cracks however they were there already. I visit dirt roads occasionally but not rough. The way I see it, there’s one bolt for that center bracket at the bottom so it has to pivot a little while the body/frame flexes right? Idk. Maybe the rubber mounts will help. Everything fit well though. Hoping my bellowed pipes show up soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F0F8B9C2-F331-4122-94C9-43011F12708A_1566721273361.jpeg (471.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpeg D28B7CBF-8A02-491C-A31D-B544DB277F40_1566721286823.jpeg (1.19 MB, 23 views)
File Type: jpeg E26C886C-8FBF-4A77-922F-BF27C2BB7FDD_1566721299077.jpeg (1.35 MB, 32 views)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 06:31 AM
PSN Veteran

You already had the cracks with the center support and then you removed it? That center support also keeps the top portion of the core support from flexing every time you close the hood. The hood latch attaches to it. Keep an eye on things up there. I have cracked mine almost clean through on both sides. I know when the hood shakes excessively that it's time to check the core support.

Lots of pictures
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 06:29 AM
Cure4OBS

Garage
I’m just not convinced that a little piece of metal with a pivot point on the bottom is adding much structural integrity. I’d feel more comfortable bracing it at the top, down the sides, and across the bottom making it more ridged. Hell I might as well box the frame in while I’m at it because when I park on a pebble my box side is crooked to the cab

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode