help! can put truck in gear without clutch?? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

help! can put truck in gear without clutch??

Hey guys a while back I wrecked my trans and driveshaft on the freeway. I got the new trans put in this weekend and got everything else back in (transfer case, front drive shaft, electrical plugs, trans fluid, shifter, etc.), and am waiting for the rear driveshaft to come in on thursday, BUT I'M HAVING TROUBLE WITH THE CLUTCH

Here's everything I've tried so hopefully you guys can help me trouble shoot and figure out how to fix this.

First of all the clutch pedal has pressure about 2/3 the way in ( the first 2/3rds i push the clutch in I feel no pressure) but can still start the truck with the clutch pushed all the way in.

Next I can put the truck in any gear without using the clutch while the truck is running??

Next I can put the truck in any gear without using the clutch while the truck is running when I shift into 4x4

Now for the weird part, when I lock the front hubs (while in 4x4) I all of a sudden can't put it in gear but with the clutch pedal all the way in I can barely put it in gear if I push as hard as I can ( i'm assuming it's so difficult because only 1/3 of the pedal feels like it has pressure) then I'll let the clutch out and it will drive forward on it's own power???

So sense I can barely muscle it into gear in 4x4 with the hubs locked and it moves on it's own power this must mean that my clutch is working and everything else is working properly, but doesn't explain my 2wd and 4x4 unlocked issues??

If anyone can help me out here I would really appreciate it as I have a fishing trip in 2 weeks that I would hate to miss!!

Also, i have a 97 f350 with a new zf5 47 (with a fast coolers kit), and had a south bend 650 hp rated dual disc with solid mass flywheel installed a year ago

97 4x4 F350 XLT OBS Powerstroke CCSB- ZF-5 manual trans, 6637 cold air intake, TS6 chip, straight piped 4 inch turboback pretire side exit, 4 pillar gauge w/ diff temp, EGT, boost, and HPOP pressure, ATS diff cover, dual alpine 10'' subs w/ alpine component speakers, B code rear springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:26 PM
Trust me, I got this...

Garage
Re: help! can put truck in gear without clutch??

I guess you could jack up the rear and put it in gear and see if the wheels turn. I would probably think something in the rear end.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Shoulda bought a Cummins.

1997 F250 7.3L XLT, 4x4, 5spd, 315K, TS chip, BD Turbo-Thruster II, Donaldson 6637 filter, 4" straight piped dual exit SOLD

1995 F350 CCLB 5.8L XLT Tan leather interior. Soon to be swapped onto a 6.0 frame.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:49 PM
PSN Local

Indeed it sounds like the rear end is not pulling, it also sounds like you still have air in the hydraulic clutch system, and the clutch is not releasing completely.

First figure out what is not hooked up, with the truck not running, jack up the rear end, as mentioned above, put the truck in gear, in 2wd, and turn a rear wheel, if the rear end just free wheels, it's in the rear end, if the rear wheels turn the driveshaft you have a problem in the transfer case.

Definitely think a little more time bleeding the clutch is in order also.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:52 PM
Native Texan

Garage

He has no rear drive shaft right now. everything is free wheeling till he locks the frontend in. that's why he can put it in gear with out the clutch. nothing to stop it from turning with the motor. the other sounds like u have clutch issues. is why it is hard to put in gear with the frontend locked. did u replace the clutch while u had the trans out.

Give it to Mikey. He won't eat it he hates everything. Hey Mikey!! He Likes It.
Sbluke55 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Upgrades:
|Bellowed UpPipes|160CC Injectors|Adrenaline HPOP|Rebuilt Turbo 360 Bearing|Custom E-Fuel|Manual to Auto Conversion
|Delete Pedestal|3" Down Pipe 4" Exhaust|Dual Tensioner and Belt|Stainless Steel HPX Crossover|Custom Banks InterCooler
|42 Gal Rear Tank 35 Gal Front Tank |DP Infinity Tuner
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:57 PM
alleged moderator

the reason it will go into gear without using the clutch and transfer case in 2 wheel drive is because there is only the trans itself moving. it is hard to put into gear with front hubs locked and transfer case in 4 wheel because the clutch is not completely releasing. either from not being bled properly, a bad master cylinder, or bad slave cylinder.
once you put the rear driveshaft in it will be just like with front hubs locked, very hard to put in gear until you get the clutch issue fixed.
Sbluke55 likes this.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:17 PM

Usually the hydraulics suck some air when they get removed. It needs bleed or just go buy a pre bleed master/slave combo.

01 f-250, Standard
Rev tech 4" lift, 37" military wrangler Mt tires
KC diy 66, Full force 160/100 and custom tunes from PHP
Banks intercooler and full 4" exhaust, Diy S&B intake
Diy quad feed, Hydra, Isspro boost, pyro, and fuel pressure
3/0 battery cables with military style terminals
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 08:52 PM
PSN Local

Oh shoot, completely missed the "I'm waiting for the driveshaft to come in", sorry about that!!! That's what I get for reading it quick.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Wow thanks for all the answers guy!!! I feel kinda dumb now haha. It makes a lot of sense that it’ll go into gear without the clutch cuz there’s no resistance. I think I didn’t think it through and went straight to thinking something was wrong.

As to bleeding the clutch how do I go about doing that?

Also I didn’t do anything to the clutch besides remove the slave cylinder from the old transmission. Also the pushrod fell out but I put it back in and it seemed like it didn’t affect the slave cylinder

97 4x4 F350 XLT OBS Powerstroke CCSB- ZF-5 manual trans, 6637 cold air intake, TS6 chip, straight piped 4 inch turboback pretire side exit, 4 pillar gauge w/ diff temp, EGT, boost, and HPOP pressure, ATS diff cover, dual alpine 10'' subs w/ alpine component speakers, B code rear springs
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:41 AM
alleged moderator

not dumb, you just had a "senior moment"
to be honest, i never had much luck reusing slave cylinders.
but then again i do not have much patience when it comes to bleeding them.
i just replace the master and slave when i have it apart.

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 01:30 AM
PSN Veteran

Here is the method that worked every time for me: Hang the slave from the line, everything going "uphill". Make sure the reservoir is full. This next part really caused problems for me until I figured this out (so don't think "what the heck would that do ... that's dumb"): Disconnect the clutch master cylinder rod from the clutch pedal linkage. Cycle the slave cylinder slowly by hand 5-10 times. Reclip the slave to the tranny, reconnect the pedal linkage and you should be good. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode