Kingles OBS dream truck build - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage
Kingles OBS dream truck build

Hey All.

Thanks for the advice and cautions on my OBS truck shopping experience. I've got the truck now and she's ready to be turned into our dream truck over the next month or so.

We got a 1997 F350 CCLB 4x4 with 5 speed manual transmission. Driving this thing has been a bit of a learning curve for me. I've never driven stick and I'm 5'1 so I have to really squirm to reach the clutch. But after three quick lessons with the boyfriend I'm getting around town on my own just fine. LOVE driving this thing, literally get an adrenaline rush from it. It's got a TS6 tuner and the power it puts out is just fine for our needs (for now). Also has a side dump MSRP exhaust and sounds mean.

First thing I did when we got it was source out and install a nice shiny OBS bumper to replace the rusty one that was on it. Took off the canopy and those stupid plates in the grille and invested in an angle grinder to trim the bumper so the 35" tires didn't rub as much.

Upcoming projects:

-DIY POR15 and bedliner on the rusty truck bed. Got the boyfriend on the angle grinder with a wire wheel and it's all stripped down and ready to be painted once this rain stops. Hopefully will get a chance to do that over the weekend.

-Radiator support has been ordered, I want to get that done before it's lifted. Will also do rad support bushings and body mount bushings while we're at it. Luckily our mechanic neighbour has done a few of them before and is happy to help us through it for super cheap.

-Heim joint mod for the clutch. Drop arm pin looks welded at the end so I figure it must be worn. The goal with that is so the clutch engages a bit higher so I'm not struggling every time I shift with my short little lady legs.

-7.5-8 in lift on 37s. Had a consult with the mechanic today regarding that. Going to do a 4.5in PMF RSK with 3in SD leafs up front and blocks in the back since it's already got air bags. Ordered the RSK today. Depending on the cost I may get dual shocks. We decided to have this done professionally because it's getting pretty custom and we don't have/can't afford the equipment at home to lift the truck that high. Also don't wanna be stuck waiting on parts to come in if we mess something up.

-Shiny black paint job. Got lots of quotes and eventually found a guy who will do it professionally pretty cheap. Another thing I don't want to screw up so we're going to spend the money and get it done right.

That's all for the super near future, but eventually I want to do a lariat seat swap, as well as full frame restoration and coat the underside of the bed and frame/axles with POR15 and topcoat to keep things sturdy for years to come. We're gonna keep her for a long time. Never been this in love with a truck before - can't help but turn around and look at it every time I park.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-04-03 at 10.27.42 PM.png (255.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-04-03 at 10.28.38 PM.jpg (15.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-04-03 at 10.28.02 PM.jpg (16.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-04-03 at 10.27.16 PM.jpg (13.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-04-03 at 10.13.59 PM.jpg (9.9 KB, 34 views)
tjctransport likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:12 AM
PSN intsigator

Re: Kingles OBS dream truck build

Sub'd, this looks like an interesting build

96 F350 rclb drw 2wd psd (built not bought)
01 Excursion Limited 4wd psd (the wifes ride)
02 F350 cclb drw 4wd psd (the land yacht)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage

When I put 37s on it with the lift, will it be better to have 4:10 gearing? I think it's just stock for now. Will I get better mileage on the 37s if I change the gearing, and is it easy enough to do?

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 05:37 PM
PSN Veteran

Check the tag on the rear end if still there as it could have 4.10's already. There is also a code on the door jamb tag for what it came with. Setting up differentials is not the easiest thing to do for most DIY'ers. I would probably source that out to a good shop if you've never done it. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
Check the tag on the rear end if still there as it could have 4.10's already. There is also a code on the door jamb tag for what it came with. Setting up differentials is not the easiest thing to do for most DIY'ers. I would probably source that out to a good shop if you've never done it. Cheers!
Thanks. Will take a look and find out. Could always get the shop to do it when they do the lift.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage

It's got 3:55 gearing... Called the mechanic and he said we'd dog it out with tires that big and it would be hard on the tranny and clutch for sure. So now I've got to decide whether to do a 6" lift on 35s (8" will look dumb on those tires) and upgrade later OR still go with an 8" lift on 37s but swap out the axles to ones with 4:10 gearing (since he estimated around $4k per axle to switch the gearing which is out of the question..)

If I'm going to swap the axles, I need Dana 60 in the front and a 10.25" in the back, both with 4:10 gearing, correct? Also want to know whether I can keep all my brakes and rotors, calipers etc. if they are in better shape than the ones on the swap? Does it matter what year of truck they come off of, or should I just look for that particular set up in good shape with minimal rust? Seem to be a few options on Craigslist and might be decently affordable I just don't want to buy junk and get problems later.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:55 PM
alleged moderator

96 and 97 uses the better brakes, so try to stick with a 96-97 D-60.
or you can upgrade to the 99 and newer D-60 front and 10.50 rear and get 4 wheel disc brakes.
you really want to go to 4.10 gears with either 35 or 37's
you really do not need 8 inch lift.

this is my 88 with 4 inch lift and 37 inch tires:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 88 pickup.jpg (18.4 KB, 16 views)

tom
owner of almost to many fords.

If you want the moral high ground, make sure you're not standing on a hill of horsecrap.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjctransport View Post
96 and 97 uses the better brakes, so try to stick with a 96-97 D-60.
or you can upgrade to the 99 and newer D-60 front and 10.50 rear and get 4 wheel disc brakes.
you really do not need 8 inch lift.

this is my 88 with 4 inch lift and 37 inch tires:
Thanks. Yeah, I think 6" on 35's would look awesome (easily achievable with X code springs and 4.5" RSK). And we're happy with the power it's got now, works for us. We don't tow, just lightly loaded with dirtbikes and maybe eventually a sled.... It's really just the boyfriend who "needs" a 8 in lift. He's nuts. But he's also paying for it... I've gotta try to be a voice of reason haha. I just don't see the point in adding bigger tires if it's going to make the truck less powerful and put more strain on things. And I think 8" on 35's would look dumb maybe?
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Garage

Well that didn't go well. Hard no from the boyfriend haha. He's nuts. Is it really that bad to run 37's on 3:55? We don't tow, only loads we would have are the odd weekend loaded up with dirtbikes. For now at least. Can always do an axle swap down the road if we want more power, right?
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 10:36 PM
PSN intsigator

In my opinion it's your truck not his, you should do what you want with it. Make sure to put some kind of pink princess plate on there so when/if he drives it everyone knows he is driving a girls truck.

My wife has a blingy princess license plate on her excursion just sayin,

96 F350 rclb drw 2wd psd (built not bought)
01 Excursion Limited 4wd psd (the wifes ride)
02 F350 cclb drw 4wd psd (the land yacht)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode