Tru-Cool install write up, anyone? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Tru-Cool install write up, anyone?

My last trip to Glamis my trans temp was running at 210* for the majority of the trip... I'd like to install a bigger trans cooler to combat this. Id like to avoid installing a used cooler from a 6.0, and I have read great things from you guys using the Tru-Cool, so i'm looking at the Tru-Cool 4739. I've beat the search function to death trying to find a write up with images... it seems the threads are all too old and the images have mostly vanished. So hopefully someone has some info they can share?

Here is a list of my questions:

- Are you using the TruCool 4739 in addition to the stock cooler? running them in series?
- if so, where are you guys mounting them?
- Should the lines be upgraded to the larger diameter?
- Are you adding an inline filter on the system? if so, which ones do you recommend?
- What is the debate about bypassing the radiator? I am new to these trucks and had no idea the trans fluid flows through the radiator as well?

Thanks in advance guys, I really appreciate it!
dh

1996 f-250 XLT SC 4x4 7.3 - 215k miles - bone stock, for now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 06:46 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Tru-Cool install write up, anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH7 View Post
Here is a list of my questions:
- Are you using the TruCool 4739 in addition to the stock cooler? running them in series?
No, the TruCool replaced the stock air-to-fluid cooler. Too much restriction running them in series.
Quote:
- if so, where are you guys mounting them?
Mine is mounted on my front receiver structure, up behind the front bumper, but most would probably have it basically in the same location as stock (fab up appropriate brackets, etc.)
Quote:
- Should the lines be upgraded to the larger diameter?
I would definitely do that. You can use the SD lines (I'll have to post those part numbers when I get home).
Quote:
- Are you adding an inline filter on the system? if so, which ones do you recommend?
Most folks probably don't unless they've had a trans failure. I have a DieselSite Ford Transmission Filter System on mine (different than the Magnafine inline filters)
Quote:
- What is the debate about bypassing the radiator? I am new to these trucks and had no idea the trans fluid flows through the radiator as well?
To me there's no debate! It is there for a reason so leave it in the system. It adds cooling capacity.

Hopefully others will chime in with additional input! Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 03:40 AM
PSN Newb

no one uses a used 6.0 cooler u buy a new 6.0 cooler .

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 03:43 AM
PSN Newb

I used a new 33 row 6.0 cooler on my 97
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 07:00 PM
PSN Local

Quote:
- What is the debate about bypassing the radiator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
To me there's no debate! It is there for a reason so leave it in the system. It adds cooling capacity.
I've spoke with several reputable Transmission Builders ( E4OD/4R100 are there specialty),....and all of them have recommended doing away with the cooler that is built into the Radiator,....and bypassing it all together,.....in favor of a larger SuperDuty,.... OR,... aftermarket equivalent,.... "unless" you live in an extreme Northern (COLD) Climate [aka,...Canada or Alaska]

AND,....If that is the case,....then it's suggested you replace the Radiator with a brand new one,.....AND,....installing an Aftermarket Trans Temperature gauge to keep an eye on how hot everything is getting. This will also indicate a restriction,...as the temps will rise if it starts to stop up. I can attest to this myself,....as if it wasn't for my gauge,....when utilizing my stock Radiator Cooler with my External one,....I would have burned my Trans up several, several miles from home.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 06:01 PM
PSN Local

I believe that MarkK advises to leave the bottom-of-radiator cooler as part of your cooling scheme and to replace the too-small air-to-oil cooler bolted to the front of the radiator with a larger cooler. That's exactly what I did. The radiator provides important cooling capacity to the tranny oil that I would not abandon.

I installed the Tru-Cool cooler in about the same manner as Patrick has described. It has significantly lowered the tranny's operating temperatures, which for me is especially critical while towing in the mountains.

I installed the new Tru-Cool unit where the old factory air-to-oil cooler was located. Since the Tru-Cool is much larger, it has a larger footprint, but the hardware included with the Tru-Cool allowed me to fit it there very securely.

I did not use larger tranny lines, however. The factory size works for me quite well.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 09:01 PM
PSN Local

X2 for behind the front bumper.

I had to get "creative" with a fitting but it all worked fine:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4739.jpg (20.4 KB, 8 views)

1997 F-250 Powerstroke, 4x4, D60, RSK, V&B's, 35" BFG ATA's on 16x10's, 6637 DIY Intake, Swamps IDM Mod, 3" DP, 4" single exhaust, Beans E-Fuel, Intercooled, Rosewood 160/80's, T4 S366SXE, Irate 3" Plenums, Terminator T500, Tony Wildman Tunes, Gauges (Pyro/Boost/Trans).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for all of the replies guys. I'm waiting on the TruCool to arrive so I can start the project. Looking forward to keeping the trans under 210* like my last trip!

1996 f-250 XLT SC 4x4 7.3 - 215k miles - bone stock, for now...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:46 PM
PSN Newb

I recently added the tru-cool transmission cooler and highly recommend it. I’m not sure what my tranny temps were prior to installing it because I added the tru-cool and gauges at the same time, but I have yet to see my transmission get above 160 degrees. That is also including towing a 27’ bumper puller toy hauler up some steep grades.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 04:08 AM
Project Shamu

I did a long write up on DieselSites legendary trans, dieselsite inline filter, and the tru cool cooler, using 3/8" SD lines w/ no bypass tube, and bypassing the radiator cooler.

I have done about 1000miles of heavy towing with it, and 15,000 miles unloaded, and even with 13000 lbs behind me up 8% grades, it's never got over 165*.

I'll post the link to my write up.

EDIT: sorry in advance for it being super long
https://www.powerstrokenation.com/fo...od-review.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1996 Cali F350 CCFB, 7.3 PSD, 2wd SAS, w/ 371,000 miles.
New Motor at 352,000, DieselSite Legendary Trans at 356,000 and many more.

2002 F450 SCFB, 7.3 PSD 2wd w/ 144,000 miles
SOLD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode