97 Fuel Bowl Heater - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

97 Fuel Bowl Heater

Been reading and pondering. I see a lot of suggestions about unhooking/ removing the fuel bowl heater, because they short out and blow fuses and make a mess. In my area we do see some below 0* yearly, so I was leaning towards leaving mine in. So I started thinking, would installing an in line fuse in the heater wire, as close as feasible to the bowl, be a good compromise? The maxi fuse for the heater and GPR is a 30 amp if I remember right, so would a 20 or 25 amp at the heater save the maxi/ protect the harness?

I believe I even read a thread on here somewhere about the fuel heater wire melting the CPS wires during a failure. So kinda paranoid about it, any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 02:29 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: 97 Fuel Bowl Heater

I don't think you need to add an extra fuse in the circuit. If you want to keep the heater, you could "upgrade" to the SD-style unit which shouldn't have the shorting problem. The newer style is (Ford) F81Z-9J294-AA, (International) 1831196C92, (Dorman) 904-210 (Ford/IH may require some minor mods to fuel bowl, supposedly Dorman doesn't). Remember the standpipe is Lefthand threaded!!! I've never heard of the CPS wires getting melted during a failure in all these years. It would have had to have had someone put a larger fuse in the circuit to have that happen (a definite no-no!). Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks Mr Feeley! I noticed Napa had the SD heater in Doorman listed for my truck, last time I bought one, I just figured it was their system, guess I was mistaken. Thanks for the heads up on the LH thread stand pipe, learned that one the hard way during a previous adventure. It makes sense that it is LH thread, in retrospect, but a lesson I won't soon forget.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 09:40 PM
PSN Veteran

In the past Ive fretted about this too and even went so far as hooking up a fuel heater on a retrofit Electric fuel system (where I omitted stock filter canister and heater) on one of my 7.3s years ago. Have since learned that fuel additive packages for winter fuel (least here in Western Canada), are very robust and fuel heater is not necessary. Ive had my trucks in cold weather -40 C and never had a problem with fuel gelling, so all my trucks get the stock heater unplugged and deleted with E fuel systems.

Not sure where you are located or your winter fuel, but Id not worry if you are South of 48, unhook it, insulate to prevent from shorting and be happy.
Cheers,
j
Bugman likes this.

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, E4OD 4:10, intake, DP 4 exhaust
Red 97 F250 CC 3:55, D60 Air Locker front, 175/80s, T500, TW files, Tymar, SD I/C, 6.0 fan, E-air, E-Fuel, RSK, SD springs front/rear, 145 litre rear tank (now ZF-5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 10:07 PM
PSN Veteran

I agree with JCart, my fuel heater has been disconnected for a number of years. I live at 6500' here in Colorado 30 miles west of Vail. I haven't worried about it ever since I disconnected it.

I won't say that most owners have the heater disconnected since there are a lot of trucks out there but I will say that most of the owners on the forums here have them disconnected.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 12:48 AM
College Student

Mine busted and shorted when I was driving and hit a pot hole. It shut me down in the far left turn lane of a 6 lane wide intersection in the middle of rush hour. Not a fun experience trying to diagnose the problem in a situation like that. After that happened a few weeks later I pulled my fuel bowl and resealed it. In doing so, I never reinstalled the heater element. I live in where its normal to see negatives in the winter and don't have a problem with the cold. It's not that big of a problem with anti gel already being mixed.

95 Auto. 4.10 gears. SCLB. Stock besides Baby Swamps Injectors and TS-6 chip with swamps tunes. AFE MaxFlow. Glowshift trans, pyro, and boost. 6.0 IC KC TP38R. Converted EBPV to exhaust brake.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Thanks guys! The six lane intersection adventure is exactly why I was asking about fusing it separately, to avoid that situation. I like the idea of taking it out completely for ease of cleaning the bowl out during a filter change.

Geographically speaking, I'm in central NM, my driveway is about 6400' elevation. I expect about a week of below 0* F every winter. Not certain, but I don't believe our fuel is treated, if it gets to roughly -20*F, the stations all stop selling diesel. I have seen -36*F, but it is rare, not like up North but it does happen.

So I'm thinking smart plan is unhook heater and treat fuel in cold weather. Any disagreements? Any preference on treatment? Power Service is what I use in the big truck, any reason not to use it?

Side note- was sniffing around the power distribution box, and it has the fuse marked as Fuel Heater/ GPR, but it does feed the IDM also right? Or am I REALLY confused.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 04:39 AM
PSN Veteran

The IDM is on fuse #8 under the hood.

Fuse #22 only powers the heater, and PCM relay power.

96 F250 XLT 4x4, 4:10 gears, 5 speed, Tymar intake and HX hose, downpipe, pyro and boost guages, coolant filter, Luc clutch
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
The IDM is on fuse #8 under the hood.

Fuse #22 only powers the heater, and PCM relay power.
Got it. Thanks. I couldn't understand how it would shut a running truck off if it only powered the Heater/GPR, but I know it does. PCM relay makes more sense.

BTW- thanks for the line on the Bio Kleen Bugman. It's in the tank.

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 08:21 AM
PSN Veteran

I use power service as well as Stanadyne with the Cetane additive year round in all our Diesel gear.
Cheers,
j

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, E4OD 4:10, intake, DP 4 exhaust
Red 97 F250 CC 3:55, D60 Air Locker front, 175/80s, T500, TW files, Tymar, SD I/C, 6.0 fan, E-air, E-Fuel, RSK, SD springs front/rear, 145 litre rear tank (now ZF-5
).

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in