Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Obs de-fueling

11K views 58 replies 15 participants last post by  OBSpstroke97 
#1 ·
After the new injectors

#33 ·
I can say with my truck stage #1's and a stock pump I can max out at 3400psi and hold 42psi.

#34 ·
Here's one more video , this one is at wot. Here's my plan
-check for boost leaks
-remove tuner
- check fuel pressure
- buy a new hpop.. Lol

#35 ·
I'm just trying to keep the convo on track so bear with me-- if I got it wrong, please advise

a) runs great on stock tunes
b) a smoker on any chip tune
c) turbo seal/intake leaks TBD this weekend (although it runs great on stock tunes)
d) stock HPOP datalogged to 2500 on extreme tune (DC% unknown)
e) map sensor condition unknown
f) on edit; fuel pressure unknown (but runs great in stock tune)

To Cat's point (partially) was the chip written for your pcm and mods, and is your pcm current for your truck? I tried a chip that was written for another pcm and wont do that again...

#37 ·
I'm just trying to keep the convo on track so bear with me-- if I got it wrong, please advise

a) runs great on stock tunes
Yes truck ran good on stock tunes. I'm going to pull
The chip to re confirm it still runs good on stock

b) a smoker on any chip tune
Yes every tune somokes a ton

c) turbo seal/intake leaks TBD this weekend (although it runs great on stock tunes) yes sir this weekend goons check
d) stock HPOP datalogged to 2500 on extreme tune (DC% unknown)
Correct 2500psi, sorry for dumb question not sure what is meant by duty cycle ?
e) map sensor condition unknown
Correct
f) on edit; fuel pressure unknown (but runs great in stock tune)
Correct

To Cat's point (partially) was the chip written for your pcm and mods, and is your pcm current for your truck? I tried a chip that was written for another pcm and wont do that again...
As far as I know it was written to my PCM , and I have never changed the PCM myself . No sure on previous owners

#36 ·
Just to throw this out there... My Brothers OBS will defuel and throw a code with boost over 27 PSI...

And unhooking the MAP sensor will not act as a "boost" fooler.. When you unhook it you actaly will not let the pickup run right... What you need to do is get a scan gauge or any kind of gauge that will read your HPOP PSI...

What codes is it throwing???? Or are there any codes??

#40 ·

Here's a video with out the tuner.
Took the chip out and it's still doing the same thing. It's running slightly better but not much.. and still smoking a ton, did a boost leak test only found a small leak in the turbo inlet , the black tube where the clamp is is cracked.

#42 ·
I used a shop vac . I didn't have time to get a 3in pice of PVC and make a better one . the turbos not but 6 months old that would b ####ty if it was bad

#46 ·
sorry for the confusion i explained it wrong, it has a crack where it clamps to the turbo inlet . i got another one on there and no change .

Attachments

#47 ·
That still will not afect boost any.. There is no pressure going through that hose..

What you need to do to test for a boost leak.. Is clamp a pipe (that is caped on one end with a valve stem on it and a pressure gauge) to the inlet of the turbo.. Then pressure it up to 30 or 40 pounds to see if you got a leak...

That is the only really good way to find a boost leak..

#48 ·

Got it all fixed . Rememeber when you were a kid and your dad told you to start with the simple things ... Well this was one of those times . I cleaned my air filter and she ran great. Thanks for everyone's help . Yall have a good Christmas

#50 ·
Just a aem papper filter , I'm gonna get another one mines gettin old

#52 ·
I guess the ripped intake tube (from sucking shut multiple times :doh:) should have been a clue to us, but we'll just have to file it in the memory banks as having learned something! Nice find!

this was a good thread... btw, how many miles were on the filter?

#53 ·
I've had the filter since I bought the truck and I put a little over 30k on her , I wanna say I cleaned it about 5 thousand miles ago tho

#54 ·
How'd you clean it? Nice that you got it figured....hahaaa
Years ago on my '96 first K&N 9" by 11" round ones had a nylon sock to filter off the bigger debris, problem was I let it go un maintained too long and had a similar thing with black smoke. Engine tried to suck it flat.... On paper filters now I usually write on the filter label the date changed.

jrc

#55 ·
i made the same mistake cleaning my air filter. i wasn't using the K@N oil cleaner, instead i was using dish soap which i thought was doing a good job and it wasn't. i bought a new filter out west on vac. when a parts guy set me straight! lesson learned!

#56 ·
I just used a 5 gallon bucket filled it with water and let it soak

#58 ·
I thought it was odd watching the video that the harder you pushed it the less boost it made. And the giveaway should have been when you let off the boost gauge actually showed and increase for a split second. I saw this once before when and I/C clogged up on a SD. But I knew you where not running one and knew that could not be it.

Glad you got it going. Now keep that boost under 40lbs.

#59 ·
Thanks again for the help . It was a good learning experience for sure . And I'll
Keep the boost down until I get some head studs orderd up !!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.