Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

ZF-5 Tranny Cooler?

10K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  JCart 
#1 ·
So Guys thanks to your inspiration and assistance I now drive a ZF-5.....Yaaaay.....phfeeuw...was a head scratcher at times as I have never tackled a project like this. Now that I have tossed the E4OD out was wondering if anyone has hooked up the tranny cooler system to the ZF? I did a search and didn't really find anything.

Was thinking all one would need is a low volume e-pump say 1-2 gallons a minute (or less?) and plumb it in on a switch as well as hook up my tranny temp gauge with new sensor?

What is the operating range of the ZF-5? I am guessing not really needed as they have a rep of being a very robust tranny but rather then yankin the V10 cooler and all might be less work hookin up a pump....heh heh

What are your thoughts?

TIA,

jrc

#2 ·
The ZF-5's do get hot. You will need to find a couple of the Fabcraft billet PTO covers or modify your factory ones for the cooler lines and fittings. You will need a good pump that handle the temps like a Mocal, Tilton, or go for the really nice Weldon pump. The cooler doesn't have to be as large as a V10, but should be a good stacked-plate design. Also you would want a thermo-switch to control when the pump needs to be on so you are not cooling already cool oil. It's definitely a not cheap endeavour! Cheers!

#3 ·
Thanks for the input Patrick. Thermo switch is a good idea, was thinking about a SD fuel pump spare I have but might be too much volume? As I have all the lines, stock cooler and V10 still on the truck didn't think it too onerous to do. Just wondered if others have done it and what their respective insight are.
Thanks,
jrc

#4 ·
I was told the ZF6 has a mechanical pump built in.
What about a cheap small pto pump and have it pump it's own oil?
Not sure if you can find one cheap enough or small enough, though.
Just a thought.

I'm not sure how well a fuel pump will move oil tillt he oil gets really hot and thinned.

Let us know how it goes!

#6 ·
Are you refering to the "Fast Coolers Aluminum PTO cover extensions"?

"Fabcraft Metalworks" made the billet one I had on my 1994. I don't know if they still make them (it was a nicely made part!) and I got mine off ebay years ago. There was an aftermarket vendor out there that sold them, but I don't think they offer them anymore.

I did find "this unit" from Northwest FabWorks, but not sure if it would fit the ZF-5 (price is good though).

Cheers!

#7 ·
that would be really cool cause ive thought about it before but would it be possible to make the zf6 pump work on the zf5? I know case size is different but its just a thought

#9 ·
No never did bother with it, but I did convert another truck over to ZF-5 hahaha so much nicer than the E4OD keerap. Don’t really think it’d be that tough to do. I think if you towed heavy would be a great addition. Mind you not heard of many that have broken their ZFs from heat.... mostly and rarely, from operator error, meaning abuse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.