95 7.3L Overheating - HELP! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

95 7.3L Overheating - HELP!

Hi All,

Searched the forums, found some reasonable responses, but need some help.

Last week, I was cruising into the local town about 8 minutes away from where I live. My day started normal as went through my simple checks. I hadnt driven my truck in a few days, so I started the truck up, turned it to high idle on my 6 pos for warmup, let warm for 5-10 mins, then shut the truck down. I checked my fluids saw that I was good on oil and coolant and got in and drove. Truck has 200k on the ticker, stock HPOP, stock injectors, TYMAR intake, Beans 6 pos, MBRP TB exhaust, and was about 45 degrees outside. Nothing crazy, everyday operation. About halfway into the trip, after passing a cop that made me look down at my gauges, I noticed my temp gauge starting to creep up to the "L" in NORMAL - Unheard of in my truck as Ive never seen this before. So, I quickly cranked the heater to full high and veelined towards the local AutoZone to maybe check my coolant once it shut down. Well, after barely making it into the parking lot as I shut down and the engine temp light turned on. Key in the waterfall of coolant from the overflow - awesome.

I proceed to go inside and grab some coolant, a gallon of radiator flush solution, and a thermostat just in case. Upon returning to the truck, I notice that majority of the coolant in the overflow is gone. I proceed to park the truck run some errands in the area and come back about 30 mins later as the cooling system had pulled majority of the fluid back in. I topped off the overflow, heater on high, cap on, cap off, some revving to bleed and refill the system in a nutshell...Not my first time refilling a closed loop cooling system. That being said, I figured the system needed a good flush. On my way back home, I nervously kept my eye on the temp. Creeping slower than before, but still creeping up towards the notorious "L". Heater on high, all of a sudden the system is blowing cold air. Pull in the driveway, put in park and truck overflows again. Open the hood and notice the overflow is expanded like a balloon , yet the upper radiator hose is limp like theres no pressure or the system is low on fluid or air. Coming back, there was no loss in power through the drive, no smoke, no poor idle signs, etc. If any signs were at AutoZone I wouldve stayed, but everything checked out okay. Parked the truck so I could grab lunch and clear my head.

Upon returning, a few hours later, I pulled the stat...looked okay but installed the new one for cheap insurance anyways, refilled the system before startup and turned the key...A puff of white smoke on startup, and mild revving turns a cloud of white. I shut down to be safe, but it seems the damage has been done.

Unsure where to go, I partially drained some of the oil, smelled stinky lol but didnt see any coolant/water, but didnt drain the whole thing yet because I havent been able grab more to refill yet. I do notice, however I have spotting on the ground, looks as though my dipstick seal in the side of the tank blew out. And I have some runoff on the engine block from above Pressure? Not sure...Headgasket? Not sure...

What do you guys recommend? Any ideas? Im tired and pissed...Probably going to be even more when excited when I hear that it needs a new top end! lol Let me know what everybody thinks...I appreciate it in advance.

1995 Ford F-350 SC/LB PSD - 200k on the ticker - Tymar Intake, TP 6 Position - Bean's Tunes, 4" Diamond Eye Turbo Back, Alcoas with General Grabber AT2s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 05:57 PM
Fixing Broken Stuff

Re: 95 7.3L Overheating - HELP!

Well, The first thing I would look at is the front of the radiator and condenser, see if air can flow through it, even wash the core out with garden hose. Did you clutch fan ever kick in when it was hot?

2015 Challenger HellCat Redline Red 8sp
1997 F350 4X4 CCLB PSD
2004 Jetta TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI 11mm pump S7 PP764's 3bar MAP
1986 F350 CC Dually 6.9 ATS turbo lowered
1984 Mark VII 2.4 BMW Turbo Diesel
1970 Roadrunner 383 4sp
1970 Cuda 426 4sp Dana 60
1956 F100
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 06:26 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: 95 7.3L Overheating - HELP!

You may have some cracked injector cups. smell the coolant and see if you get a diesel smell, if so you have some cracked cups. Im going through this issue right now myself

96 cclb f350.
idm mod,
gauges-boost/pyro/trans temp
afe stage 2 intake
dp to 4" straight pipe
studs, springs, pushrods
srp1
intercooler
electric fuel convertion
238/100
dp-tuner f6
T-4 mount and s470.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode