Hub caps - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Hells coming with me

Hub caps

Hey guys. One of my stock hub caps on the back tire fell off while driving. Ive been looking where to buy them and i cant seem to find them anywhere except lmc truck. will these work or are they no the same size.
Thanks
LMC Truck Parts - Page 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokermax View Post
what do u mean troll no i dont hop out from under bridges as little kids walk by .
1997 Ford F250
Hypermax Stage 1's, custom tuned SCT chip, Dual 7 inch miter cut stacks, napa 6637, traction bars, suncoast built tranny Sold

2008 F250
H&S mini maxx
5" exhaust
S&B intake
dpf, egr delete
leveling kit
35" toyo's
20" moto metals
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 03:58 AM
obs stroke addict

Re: Hub caps

I don't think they will work. Our stock alcoas have 4 slots for the cap to hold on with. Best look on ebay as I got a $90.00 price each from Ford.... I just got a decent pair of rears for $43.00 off ebay.

red

97 F-350 XLT CC/LB 7.3 auto 4x4 3:55's
95 F-250 Super cab LB 7.3 5 sp 4x4 4:10's FOR SALE SOLD
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 04:54 AM
PSN Veteran

Those look like "push-through" caps, that only cover the center hub and not the lug nuts. They go on by removing the wheel and putting them through the center hole. They'd work, but you'd want chrome capped lug nuts as well. Is your truck a 4x4?

As for the eBay caps, if they're used or old stock OEMs, go for 'em. If they're the new "look-alikes", DON'T. They look a LOT like the originals, except for the logo, but they don't have the four tabs that interface with the four cut-outs in the center hole on the Ford-specific Alcoa rim. They have a spring wire inside that kinda "clips" against the protruding lug nuts. We got one pair because we have a set of generic Alcoas that don't have the four cut-outs. They held well for a while, but after a year or so, maybe the wire got soft or weak or something, but they both fell off within a coupla weeks of each other. Now we're using push-through caps and chrome nuts; alas, the caps are craptastic and the chrome is already rusting in less than a year, and they look like @ss. Those LMC caps are a good price, esp. if they don't pit and rust like the eBay POSes we got.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 05:12 AM
R.I.P

I got my from a truck dealership but wayyyy cheaper than $90. But had to know somebody.

1997 F350 7.3 Powerstroke, 4x4, 135,400 miles, 4 1/2" up front 2" out back, 35" Kuhmo M/T's, 3" dp, 4" with no cat, K&N, Triple Auto Meter Gauges, IDM Mod, rebuilt E4OD, Beans Tunes
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 03:49 PM
STILL LEARNING

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 05:44 PM
PSN Veteran

The PO on my sig truck placed self adhesive foam on the axle hub, part that sticks out. He did it at 12:00 o clock, 3, 6 and 9. With strips running the length of the hub. Then carefully slid on the hub covers. Works awesome in that it centres the caps and stops them from wearing, rattling and they stay snug to the hub...

jrc

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
B&W turnover 5th wheel with Anderson hitch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 06:24 PM
PSN Veteran

The rear caps on that last set are the type I mentioned, the aftermarket ones that catch on the lug studs rather than using the four tabs and the cut-outs. They're the ones that don't stay on for long. You can see the diff. in the back-side views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCart View Post
The PO on my sig truck placed self adhesive foam on the axle hub, part that sticks out. He did it at 12:00 o clock, 3, 6 and 9. With strips running the length of the hub. Then carefully slid on the hub covers. Works awesome in that it centres the caps and stops them from wearing, rattling and they stay snug to the hub...
That'd be a good idea for center caps that just cover the hub, and not the lug nuts. The full caps that cover the lug nuts don't come in contact with the hub wall.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 06:37 PM
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
The rear caps on that last set are the type I mentioned, the aftermarket ones that catch on the lug studs rather than using the four tabs and the cut-outs. They're the ones that don't stay on for long. You can see the diff. in the back-side views.

That'd be a good idea for center caps that just cover the hub, and not the lug nuts. The full caps that cover the lug nuts don't come in contact with the hub wall.
That's my exact point....(for the factory stock full caps) by using the foam adhesive on the hub it WILL contact the inside of the cap and support it better aiding in keeping them centred and on. This is with the stock hub cap that covers the hub and wheel studs. In fact what I did was put the adhesive foam strips on the inside of the hub cap barrel so that it is squished/compressed on to the hub so far has worked awesome...

jrc

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
B&W turnover 5th wheel with Anderson hitch.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 07:18 PM
PSN Veteran

I stand corrected! I forgot how the factory caps have that internal section, and yeah, the foam tape would snug it up there. But it seems from talking to folks that the major issue with the factory caps is with not-quite-genius-level tire-shop dudes; either they bust a tab putting one back on the wrong way, or they don't make sure it's on tight and it goes sailing within a coupla days after getting the truck worked on.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Hells coming with me

Alright thanks guys. Yes it is a 4x4. I look like a dumbass lol. You guys go and find some in like ten minutes and ive been looking for a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokermax View Post
what do u mean troll no i dont hop out from under bridges as little kids walk by .
1997 Ford F250
Hypermax Stage 1's, custom tuned SCT chip, Dual 7 inch miter cut stacks, napa 6637, traction bars, suncoast built tranny Sold

2008 F250
H&S mini maxx
5" exhaust
S&B intake
dpf, egr delete
leveling kit
35" toyo's
20" moto metals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode