Compression tester? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

Compression tester?

I am looking for a compression tester. Thinking about going with harbor freights kit, but heard its kind of a pain with the fitting they give you. Is there any other cheap options to go with?

late 99 black CCSB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 06:01 AM
PSN Local

Re: Compression tester?

Diesel Compression Tester with Adapters | OTC Tool Manufacturer for Cars and Trucks

Its not cheap...its between $400 and $500 depending on where you can find it, but its the same guage and fitting the dealers use. IMO its worth the money, a false reading can cost a lot of money you dont need to spend.

NHRDA Region 2 Race Director

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

Wow, as much as i would love to have that, thats way out of my price range. Thanks for the help though, I understand that on a specialty tool its probably not the best idea to buy the cheapest. lol

late 99 black CCSB

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 09:17 AM
Edward Scissorhand WanaB

I just bought this kit here. http://www.tooldesk.com/automotive/HOFTU1553-Star-Hoffman-TU1553-Diesel-Compression-Tester-Kit.aspx It has the correct adapter for 7.3PSD and an adapter for Cummins engines along with a few others. You can buy just the gauge and adapter alone for a bit less than the kit.
They are made by Star/Hoffman. The gauge is part# STR-TU-15P and the 7.3PSD glow plug adapter is STR-TU-15-22A. Because of tight clearance the glow plug adapter is made up on a hose assembly for ease of use and fitment and is setup with an O ring for proper seal. If you order just the gauge and adapter it will not come the the plastic case and you will have to order it separately. Just call and ask for it. Gauge and adapter will be in the $60-$70 range. This is why I ordered the whole kit with multiple adapters and the plastic case all in one.

"Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs"

2000 F-250 Lariat, CC, 4x4, LWB,
A few mods to make it better than stock.
250cc hybrids, Stealth stage II HPOP, H-11 Headstuds, Strickly Diesel Reg. Return Fuel, Spearco 6.0 IC, Garrett 38r 1.15 hsg, BTS transmission, Gearhead Tuning
"The Smoke Don't Mean Its Broke"
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 01:34 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Toybreaker

Get me some measurements for the glow plug threads and the threads for the gauge/hose attachment area and I can machine adaptors.... If this is something that a lot of PSN users can use I will make a bunch.....CrMo 4340 should be good for this right?
I'll make one for myself as well.... something good to have in the tool box.

2001 F250 XLT 4x4 auto

Last edited by Toybreaker; 04-12-2011 at 01:34 PM. Reason: added one for me

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode