How do you lower a tire on a 97 OBS? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

How do you lower a tire on a 97 OBS?

I literally cant figure out how to do it. i have all the tools for it. i cant find any lowering hole or anything. im not stuck on the road or anything, so theres no rush for an answer.\

thanks guys,

brandon

1997 Ford F-250 SCLB
1.00 A/R exhaust housing
TS chip w/ Swamps tunes
6637 intake
4 inch turbo back exhaust
Single disc converter,billet backplate
B&M Trans cooler
BTS valve body w/transgo shiftplate
Wicked wheel 2
Adrenaline HPOP
Swamps diesel 160/100%'s
Irate E-fuel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 01:16 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: How do you lower a tire on a 97 OBS?

You mean lower the spare tire?

02 f250
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 01:25 AM
Loud pipes save lives

Its held up by a bar that is most likely rusted in under the rear tank. Theres no hole in the bumper like superdutys There should a bolt with an eyelet on the end

97 F-250 xl Regular Cab. Borg Warner TP-38, diesel site regulated return, adrenaline, purple trans
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and some other parts to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 01:26 AM
STILL LEARNING

There is an "EYE" bolt on the passenger side, right back by the bumper.

Loosen said eye bolt with the tire iron of large screwdriver(I would spray the speed clop with large amount of PB BLASTER 1st)

After you have the eye bolt loosened about 5-10 revolutions, turn it so it will fit thru the slot in the hanger. then take your tire iron and put it in the round tube on the end of the hanger next to the eye bolt.

Now pick up on the tire iron, which will pick up on the hanger and tire. Once the hanger is no longer resting on the eye bolt, push the eye bolt in line with the slot in the hanger. Now lower the hanger over top the eye bolt. the hanger will now rest on the ground on one side.

Next, you need to loosen the giant plastic nut holding the tire to the hanger. The DRAG the tire out form under the truck. it is a stupid design.

Even if you dont need the tire, it is a good idea to take it down and lube all the moving parts so when you do need it it is not seized in place

Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seat for OBS. PM me if any known
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 03:30 AM
Loud pipes save lives

Mine has so much rust it took 45 minutes and a 4 foot pry bar to get it out. I just leave it out now

97 F-250 xl Regular Cab. Borg Warner TP-38, diesel site regulated return, adrenaline, purple trans
and some other parts to come

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 04:51 AM
PSN Local

I really HATE the spare carrier on these things. I was so happy when I got rid of my last one.....and now I have two more of them.

'96 F250 SC 4x4 auto with hi miles
'95 7.3 Stroke with low miles
6637 intake
MBRP downpipe
lots of plans...little clams
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 03:39 PM
PSN Veteran

In the stock configuration I used to cover the threads with anti sieze paste then slide a piece of split hose over the threads to keep the dust/dirt off...then reapply annually. On sig truck I installed an older chain type tire hoist from an '80 Toyota Pu. I bolted the hoist mechanism to the passenger side end of ford tire rack (after removing threaded eye bolt) then installed a small hook that attaches to the frame where the eye bolt used to be. Slide tire on rack and crank it up!! The loose chain lays inside the tire rack under the spare...

jrc

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
B&W turnover 5th wheel with Anderson hitch.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

ill try to lower it this weekend or something. The tire is in bad shape anyways.

1997 Ford F-250 SCLB
1.00 A/R exhaust housing
TS chip w/ Swamps tunes
6637 intake
B&M Trans cooler
Wicked wheel 2
Adrenaline HPOP
Swamps diesel 160/100%'s
Irate E-fuel
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 07:26 PM
PSN Veteran

If you have to cut one of the vertical rods make sure it's the driver's side as you can replace with inexpensive threaded ready rod and some nuts at either end, unless of course the Eye bolt on is seized....
Dealership wants arm/leg for eye bolt one last time I checked.

jrc

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
B&W turnover 5th wheel with Anderson hitch.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

just wanted to update you guys on the tire drop. I dropped it yesterday, and it wasnt too bad actually. It was easy because i didnt use the jack and lug wrench that came with the truck. I used flat head screw driver and a 1/2" drive ratchet for the other bolt. Other than that, pulled it down, in bad shape i might add, threw some anti seize on the bolts and slapped it back up. not bad. Thanks for your help once again boys!!

1997 Ford F-250 SCLB
1.00 A/R exhaust housing
TS chip w/ Swamps tunes
6637 intake
B&M Trans cooler
Wicked wheel 2
Adrenaline HPOP
Swamps diesel 160/100%'s
Irate E-fuel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in