Hard Shifting? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
OBS Roller

Hard Shifting?

So. Ive got the old 7.3 out of the graveyard and she looks beautiful. I had a hard time shifting tho. It a 5 speed and when i go to shift i have to push hard, and when im at a stop its like the clutch isnt all the way out, you can here the engine pull down slightly. Could i be low on oil in my slave cylinder? Is that what the black thing with a cap on it if for? (If your looking at the engine from the front it would be like right inline with the steering wheel.) Thanks for any help guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 04:50 AM
Running at last...

Re: Hard Shifting?

there is a brake fluid resevor and a clutch cylinder resevor at about the same place under the hood.. But yes I think the black on is for the clutch fluid..
Just use DOT3 brake fuild in it..

Your slave cylinder might be weak.. And then the master cylinder might be weak to..

Does it grind going into reverse?? or jump when you put it in gear??

Sometime's the little white bushing will were out that is part of the clutch pedel. and that will make it hard to shift because the clutch pedel will get slop and will not alow the clutch to disingage because it will not push the master cylinder rod in as far as it should..

97 CCLB 4x4 ZF6 [email protected]
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
OBS Roller

It mostly just jumps. Not a lot by any means. Just a little bump that you can only feel if you are paying attention.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 04:57 AM
PSN Local

i have all new hydraulics. and just put a new OFE clutch in. I have about half travel of the pedal as free play before you can fee the clutch.

is there a freeplay adjustment?

97 Single Cab F250 4x4 5 speed

Swapped D-60
Locked front and rear
160 sticks
Wildman Tunes
T500 HPOP
OFE clutch
Linex rockers
35" Toyo M/Ts
and a bunch more...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 04:59 AM
Running at last...

sounds like your clutch is not relesing right.. It is most likely a simple fix..

I would start with the fluid check. and clutch pedel slop.. In order to see if there is any slop you have to lay on the floor boards and look up at the pivit part of the clutch pedel as you wiggle the clutch pedel..

Hope you find it and it is a easy fix..

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 05:03 AM
Running at last...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro41 View Post
i have all new hydraulics. and just put a new OFE clutch in. I have about half travel of the pedal as free play before you can fee the clutch.

is there a freeplay adjustment?
There will always be "free" play as you put it, you will able to push the clutch in about 1/2 to 5/8 of the way before it will relese the clutch.. Its just a matter if the "free" play you talked about is normal or if it comes form a bad bushing..

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 05:03 AM
PSN Local

Checking the fluid level would be the first thing to do. We gota 5 spd and it was having problems shifting, the fluid was a tad low so we filled it up , it cleared up the problem.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
OBS Roller

The fluid was good but the bushing in the pedal was bad. There is a lot of slop. I will most likely get an air drill and drill that our and bolt it on. With a hard bushing spacer type of metal.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 02:36 AM
Running at last...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_f250_7.3L View Post
The fluid was good but the bushing in the pedal was bad. There is a lot of slop. I will most likely get an air drill and drill that our and bolt it on. With a hard bushing spacer type of metal.
I think the bushings are about 2.00 dollars from Ford.. It might be a little easyer to push with the right bushing... Glad you fond the problem..
They are a pain to do somtimes..

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 03:04 AM
PSN Veteran

Plastic bushing is a complete waste of time. I've had a nearly new one pop out on me. I think what happens is, the "knob" wears down, and the bushing no longer holds it tight.

The drill job sounds like way too much work. There are two other options:
* Faincy option, but with some work - get on eBay and search on "Ford clutch heim joint". You cut off the eye end of the pushrod and replace it with this pivot-y joint.
* Cheaper easier but less sophisticated option - cut a piece of brass tubing, 1/2"OD x 7/16"ID (I had to use two, one inside the other), just long enough to fit in the eyehole of the pushrod. Use that in place of the craptastic plastic bushing. Then assemble it, get a 7/16" drill stop collar (the thing you slide onto a drill bit to limit its depth) and put it on the part of the "knob" that protrudes past the eyehole. Tighten the set screw on the stop collar. I have both my wife's trucks set up this way and they work flawlessly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode