Strange vibration... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Strange vibration...

Okay guys, needin some help here.

I have just done the d60 swap. At the same time I changed my wheel-tire combo from stock 16s with 265/75/16 (31") to 17s with 305/70/17 (33.8ish) After initially driving home (which was smooth), I have acquired a strange vibration or shimmy that feels like the truck doesn't have enough power to push these tires. Going up a hill with no load, it slows down quite a bit unless I really push the pedal where before it didn't struggle like this. The truck currently has 3.55 in the rear and 4.10 up front (obviously not engaged).

Assuming there is nothing wrong with the trans, would changing gears help this? Or would a chip give the truck enough power to overcome this issue?

Thanks,
Scott

'97 F250 CC SB - Dana 60 Swap, 4.10s, Tymar intake, 3" DP, 5" Diamond Eye straight pipe, ISSPRO Gauges (Boost, Pyro, Trans), Tru-Cool Max trans cooler, Swamps IDM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 03:46 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Strange vibration...

I have read some people have had this problem and it turned out to be the stock f250 driveshaft, they swapped in a f350 drive shaft and the vibration went away.

02 f250
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 04:33 PM
OBS junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalMonk View Post
Okay guys, needin some help here.

I have just done the d60 swap. At the same time I changed my wheel-tire combo from stock 16s with 265/75/16 (31") to 17s with 305/70/17 (33.8ish) After initially driving home (which was smooth), I have acquired a strange vibration or shimmy that feels like the truck doesn't have enough power to push these tires. Going up a hill with no load, it slows down quite a bit unless I really push the pedal where before it didn't struggle like this. The truck currently has 3.55 in the rear and 4.10 up front (obviously not engaged).

Assuming there is nothing wrong with the trans, would changing gears help this? Or would a chip give the truck enough power to overcome this issue?

Thanks,
Scott
It's kinda hard to describe a "shimmy" over the internet. Scott have you checked your front calipers to see if any are dragging? Fuel filter been changed lately? With any truck increasing tire size/weight is going to make a difference on how you hold the pedal to maintain speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
I have read some people have had this problem and it turned out to be the stock f250 driveshaft, they swapped in a f350 drive shaft and the vibration went away.
That would only be the case if his hubs were locked or he was in 4x4. In 2wd your front drive shaft isn't going to be spinning around. So it wouldn't matter if you had a 250 shaft, a 350 shaft, or no shaft.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

97 F350 CCLB "Da Bus"

RIP Will Iott
"This ain't no practice run"

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyrob View Post
And remember, he's cat rebel....he doesn't do it the normal way.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 04:40 PM
PSN Veteran

02 f250
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

I understand the pedal would be different with different tire size, but it seems like it shakes.

I'll try to describe it like this: when you are at a stop and you are turning so your wheels are turned already, but you're waiting on cars to pass coming from the other direction, you have a small window to get through the traffic so you have to step on it a little and it feels like the rearend shakes a little. It feels like that only all the time with varying degrees of "shimminess". Does that description help?

I will check the fuel filter because it does have a similar feel to when it's close to running out of gas. That would also explain the loss in power. Ill let you know what happens.

Scott

'97 F250 CC SB - Dana 60 Swap, 4.10s, Tymar intake, 3" DP, 5" Diamond Eye straight pipe, ISSPRO Gauges (Boost, Pyro, Trans), Tru-Cool Max trans cooler, Swamps IDM
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 08:55 PM
PSN Veteran

How did you level the truck out when you installed the D60? Check your pinion angles. Might have to shim down the carrier bearing.

Also put your stock wheels back on and see what happens.

Billy T.
[email protected]

'97 Black F250HD SC 3.55s, Punisher trans, PI Converter, Dana 60 RSK w/ V & C SD springs,
PIS 175/80s, HB Jr, Comp910s, Smith Bros PRs, ARPs, Fluidampr, IC, E-Fuel, CJC Traction blocks, HFHV IDM, T4/BASB, 262K

Other vehicles
-1987 Buick Grand National (Staged)
-2004 Mercury Marauder
-1993 Geo Prizm (beater)
-2016 F350 DRW Utlimate
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnxtc2 View Post
How did you level the truck out when you installed the D60? Check your pinion angles. Might have to shim down the carrier bearing.

Also put your stock wheels back on and see what happens.

Billy T.
[email protected]
I did nothing to level the truck. When I installed the d60, I also installed f350 front springs. I have a ranch hand bumper that I think brings the front back down to level. I did nothing with the rear suspension.

I have installed the fuel filter, but have not had a chance to drive it since then.

I will update in a bit.

Scott

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 12:06 AM
PSN Veteran

Have you rotated the tires around, front to back and/or side to side, to see if the shimmy gets better, worse, feels different, what-not?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 01:15 AM
STILL LEARNING

Are your hubs locked and the axles are spinning bad u-joints?

Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seat for OBS. PM me if any known
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2011, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Have you rotated the tires around, front to back and/or side to side, to see if the shimmy gets better, worse, feels different, what-not?
The wheels and tires are brand new within a week. The first couple of days they rode fine and then I started to feel this vibration. I would have thought the vibration would have been immediately recognizable if the tires weren't balanced correctly. I can try it, but won't be back to the shop till Tuesday.

Thanks,
Scott

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode