Little Help getting Transfer Case off Tranny!! - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Little Help getting Transfer Case off Tranny!!

Hey Guys,

Need your assistance and suggestions. Here's the deal. Trying to disconnect the transfer case from the tranny (ZF-5) on '96 CCLB 4X4 F 350 while still on the truck. So I have undone the 6 bolts that hold the transfer case to the ZF-5, unhooked the driveshafts, removed the tranny cross member, exhaust. Have the transfer case on a tranny jack with the transmission supported with a nylon strap between the frame rails so it will not fall too far toward the ground, once they come apart.

I can not seem to separate the two?? Currently have a 1 ton chain come a long hooked to the rear drive shaft flange and rearend. Just to put some rearward tension on the TC.

What am I missing?? Should it be hard to pull apart I though once you had the bolts undone it would separate on it's own??

I am afraid to really put the power to the come a long for fear I've missed something...

Suggestions please..

Tia,

jrc

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
B&W turnover 5th wheel with Anderson hitch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 03:38 AM
Stroken it 7.3,6.0,6.4

Re: Little Help getting Transfer Case off Tranny!!

You should be able to wiggle it up and down to pull it off the rear trans shaft.

08 F 450 King Ranch 6.4
Elite Race trans, Spartanized, ARP, Icon 4.5 on 35's, RDP boots, HID'S, OUO ladder bars, 3" I/C pipe
04 X 6.0
08 tow mirrors, ARP studs, RDP boots.
01 X 7.3, Dp, Cass 238/80 Hybrids, Terminator Dual pumps, TNBB holding on for dear life @40+psi, TE thermostat, ARP studs, Fluidampner, RDP 6637, RDP boots
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Ok so it's not like I've missed anything...it's just being a bit temper....mental and not wanting to let loose?

jrc

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4 exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 03:47 AM
STILL LEARNING

There is no need for a chain hoist to seperate the two. If you would of left the trans cross member in it would actually make things easier.(keeping the trans stationary while wiggling the t-case)

I'm sure corrosion is a big part in holding the two together

Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seat for OBS. PM me if any known
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 03:50 AM
Stroken it 7.3,6.0,6.4

Nope your not missing anything as long as you got all the bolts out.

08 F 450 King Ranch 6.4
Elite Race trans, Spartanized, ARP, Icon 4.5 on 35's, RDP boots, HID'S, OUO ladder bars, 3" I/C pipe
04 X 6.0
08 tow mirrors, ARP studs, RDP boots.
01 X 7.3, Dp, Cass 238/80 Hybrids, Terminator Dual pumps, TNBB holding on for dear life @40+psi, TE thermostat, ARP studs, Fluidampner, RDP 6637, RDP boots
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 03:53 AM
PSN Veteran

Its been awhile but for some reason 6 bolts sounds a little on the light side?
nvm guess six is right

1997 F-250 PSD, 130k, 4x4, Outlaw E4ODX, Standard Cab, reg bed, 3.55 LS rear, Swamps 225/146 injectors, Autometer Guages Pyro/Boost/Tranny, 3" downpipe, 3.5" adjusted exhaust, ts 6 pos chip, Tonys fun programs, Tru-Cool H7B, 285/75, factory alum rims, Western V-Plow, 6.0 intercooler installed not plumbed

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Hey Brad,

Thanks I was just thinking of putting it back on (trans X member)...only reason I took it off was the tranny is coming out too and was worried the T Case would wanna flip the T jack on it's side if I kept them togethers as well it was easier to get at the T C bolts....

thanks for the suggestions....back outside before it's too dark..

thanks again,

jrc

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindViper View Post
Its been awhile but for some reason 6 bolts sounds a little on the light side?
yes 8 not six and they are all out....hahaha

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 04:16 AM
Offical Puddle Displacer

Send a message via AIM to pstroke96

give it a few hits with a rubber mallet or deadblow hammer, it should pop apart if the wiggle jiggle doesnt do it

Refugee

Last edited by pstroke96; 04-09-2011 at 04:17 AM. Reason: its late
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 05:28 AM
oilfield trucker

Although I would assume you have I noticed you did'nt mention anything about unhooking the 4x4 linklage. You did unhook that, rite ? Like said above, if everything is unhooked it should seperate. Also, I've found once you get the transfer case loose, gently slide it away from the transmission about an inch, so the xfer case comes out of the dowel on the back of the xmission. Then you can let the xfer case rotate down, it will then be about an inch or two off the floor then you simply slide it the rest of the way off the output shaft of the xmission and let it drop down. That way you dont have to try and steady it on a jack since they're so lopsided.

96cc,lb,4x4,zf5. DIY dual filter intake, intercooled,gauges,4''down pipe, DIY front bumper/grill guard,fuel tank mod, 238cc Rosewood Diesel hybrids,6pos chip from TDP,
stealth SRP1 HPOP,Garrett GT4294 with DIY mounting kit,valair 500hp kevlar/ceramic clutch,Dual SD pumps electric fuel system with regulated return,5'' DIY Straight pipe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode