Needing help with a continuing problem - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Needing help with a continuing problem

My 96' started acting up before Christmas and I started a thread but I can't find it to continue the discussion. I'm starting a new thread with better details in a hope of fixing the situation. While driving, at speeds of 40 plus the engine will return to idle, torque converter unlocks, WTS light illuminates. Letting off the throttle and resetting the IVS will get RPM's back and tranny to lock up and normal driving continues. This normally happens within 5 or 10 miles/ minutes from the house. The event will happen 4 or 5 times and I can go on for days, weeks, or minutes without it happening again. From previous discussion it was determined to be a bad IVS. I got a used pedal assembly from a wrecked truck and the problem continued. I'm hesitant to up and buy a 400$ throttle assembly from Ford if there is another cause of my problem.
The past 3 days I've been getting a CEL with the event but not every time. Occasionally the CEL will happen and the throttle will work but the engine feels/sounds like it's running on less than 8 cylinders. With this event I can put the transmission in neutral and turn the key off, restart and CEL is gone and re engage tranny and keep driving. The next event is sporadic minutes to hours later.
I've searched like mad and found possibilities for a bad IPR, ICP, IDM, PCM,
and the list goes on. The oil level is full, 1500 miles since the last change. Fuel filter is 5,000 to 10,000 miles old. The only thing I can't do is try and pull the codes if there are any stored. Is there any one in the Fresno CA area with AE or a comparable scanning/diagnostics tool that would be willing to help? Ideas suggestions are greatly appreciated.

1996 F-350 4X4, Edge Tuner, DIY Tymar intake, Stancor mod, 4" lift, ISSPRO Guages, 3" DP, 4" DP back exhaust, 35x12.5x17 Procomp Extreme All-Terrains, Firestone Bags, Warn/Dodge 12,000 winch and Warn winch bumper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 12:26 PM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176
Re: Needing help with a continuing problem

I remember the thread. You are still having an IVS issue. Since you replaced the pedal assembly and it continues, you either installed a bad used pedal assembly or the issue is in the wiring harness itself. For future reference, you can go into user cp and look through any threads you have started or posts you have made. This would making finding your thread much easier.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode