4 x 4 Not Engaging - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Zebulon, Ga
Posts: 58
4 x 4 Not Engaging

97 7.3 Automatic: 175K. Just got it a couple of months ago; been sitting for 3 years. Ran rough, bad IDM. Before replacing IDM: put it in 4 x 4 mode & drove it many times across my farm in 1st @ high RPM. Never had it on the road & never above 25 MPH.

After replacing IDM: runs smoothly, but 4 X 4 will not engage. Did a search, but could not find anything. Is there a fuse somehow connected to the 4 X 4?

Thanks
Tater50 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 02:05 AM
STILL LEARNING
 
Bradbilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Gilbert PA
Posts: 18,317
Re: 4 x 4 Not Engaging

Are you saying it has an electric transfer case? never seen or heard of one in anything other than a 1/2 ton

Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seat for OBS. PM me if any known
Bradbilt is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 02:07 AM
One of a kind
 
PSD-BLACK-CLOUD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: College Station
Posts: 2,198
Re: 4 x 4 Not Engaging

My 97 had auto lock hubs. Is that what yours has. You couldnt turn them to engage them you just shifted in in the cab then were good to go.

2010 F-350, Auto,4X4, 4dr long bed, SCT/Gearhead, S&B, High Idle,Guages:boost,egt,trans, 2.5" Leveling Kit/Track Bar, PMF bars, 325-60-20's on 20x10 XD Revolvers
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSD-BLACK-CLOUD is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 06:28 AM
PSN Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 5,373
Re: 4 x 4 Not Engaging

Have you tried 4-low?

Were you at a full stop when you switched to 4-high?

If you have an assistant, see if the front driveshaft, or either axle shaft, turns when you move it down the road with the truck in 4-high.

And yeah, two details that should always be specified when opening any 4x4 related thread - * electric or manual 4x4?, and * OEM centrifugal auto lock hubs or manuals?
madpogue is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Zebulon, Ga
Posts: 58
Re: 4 x 4 Not Engaging

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Have you tried 4-low?

Were you at a full stop when you switched to 4-high?

If you have an assistant, see if the front driveshaft, or either axle shaft, turns when you move it down the road with the truck in 4-high.

And yeah, two details that should always be specified when opening any 4x4 related thread - * electric or manual 4x4?, and * OEM centrifugal auto lock hubs or manuals?
Full Stop; in neutral; shift lever in the floor; and I cannot swear that the 4 x 4 was working initially; it felt as if it were in the 4 x 4. I am new to 4 x 4's; so that is an excellent point; I will mark the shaft w/paint to see if there is any rotation.
Tater50 is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 12:59 PM
PSN Veteran
 
bluedge8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Clearwater, MN
Posts: 3,629
Re: 4 x 4 Not Engaging

i'm betting auto hubs and that's the problem, one or both are froze up. also how are you determining that you do or don't have 4x4?

1997 f250 4x4 sclb, auto, 3.55's, 191k, diy intake w 6637, ccv mod, pyro, boost, trans gauges, 3" dp to 4" single exh. super chips for now. scangauge
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc753 View Post
Besides there is absolutely no way to idiot proof something, since they are always coming out with better idiots by the day
bluedge8 is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Zebulon, Ga
Posts: 58
Re: 4 x 4 Not Engaging

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedge8 View Post
i'm betting auto hubs and that's the problem, one or both are froze up. also how are you determining that you do or don't have 4x4?
Been real busy have not be able to reply: thanks for the responses. Not being sarcastic: I was moving the truck the other day in muddy conditions & the rear wheels were spinning & the front were stationary. This is a farm truck & probably will never see the road & all tires are near bald; but as I tried to move I only felt the rear spinning.

Auto hubs: is there a way to unfreeze these?
Tater50 is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 11:39 AM
PSN Veteran
 
bluedge8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Clearwater, MN
Posts: 3,629
Re: 4 x 4 Not Engaging

no problem, some people mis diagnose right from the beginning. yeah you can work on them some do a search for them, biggest thing is that they take almost no grease when going back together b/c they will bind with too much grease. Most guys just go to manual hubs, especially as a dedicated farm truck

1997 f250 4x4 sclb, auto, 3.55's, 191k, diy intake w 6637, ccv mod, pyro, boost, trans gauges, 3" dp to 4" single exh. super chips for now. scangauge
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc753 View Post
Besides there is absolutely no way to idiot proof something, since they are always coming out with better idiots by the day
bluedge8 is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2011, 03:17 PM
STILL LEARNING
 
Bradbilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Gilbert PA
Posts: 18,317
Re: 4 x 4 Not Engaging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater50 View Post
Been real busy have not be able to reply: thanks for the responses. Not being sarcastic: I was moving the truck the other day in muddy conditions & the rear wheels were spinning & the front were stationary. This is a farm truck & probably will never see the road & all tires are near bald; but as I tried to move I only felt the rear spinning.

Auto hubs: is there a way to unfreeze these?
Just go to a Junk yard and get a used set of manual hubs. Just make sure you get the wheel bearing lock nuts too, they are differnt than auto hub ones

Looking for Blue 40-20-40 seat for OBS. PM me if any known
Bradbilt is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome