Soft brake pedal, Vaccum pump? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Soft brake pedal, Vaccum pump?

So I did some searching on here only and couldn't quite find the answer I needed. I don't really have time to devote an hour to searching right now like normally unfortunately.

So the truck has a really soft pedal that goes almost to the floor. It still stops fine, it's just the pedal is pretty far down. If I pump the pedal up 5 or 6 times, the pedal engages almost immediately, but after doing a couple turns it returns to only engaging down near the floor. I have had one time where I drove the truck and the abs light was on the whole time. I have not bled the brakes, and have no idea what condition the brakes are in either. It does however lock up the rear brakes with very very little pedal on ice while the front will continue rolling until I get on them hard enough. The brakes still work good enough to tow an exploder on a u-haul trailer (that had surge brakes).

When I first got the truck I had no idea what I was doing and tried to put seafom in the vacuum lines. I had no idea there was a vacuum pump, and about half a can went though it before I realized it was smoking from the thing on the side of the motor lol.

Any incite psn on where to start when I finally get time and money to start working on the truck again?

04 cobra - MMR 5.0 stroker, 3.4 whipple, e-85, 30psi of boost when the belt doesn't slip
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Currently converting to 78mm turbo.
96 f-250, diamond eye catless / mufflerless, DIY 6637, white rodgers 586-902, marinco mod, Denso High torque gear reduction starter, led door and dome lights, and PHP hydra for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 05:56 PM
PSN Veteran

Re: Soft brake pedal, Vaccum pump?

well the sea foam into the vacuum pump is a new one
generally you can't make the vacuum pump work better and if you damaged the booster the pedal would be harder. So that means you don't have a vacuum problem, you have a mechanical brake problem. Most likely its a bad master cyl but could also be brake line leaking or rear brakes bad: axle seals leaking onto shoes is common. On my truck I can't get the rears to lock and that in turns into the front wheels locking prematurely

1997 f250 4x4 sclb, auto, 3.55's, 191k, diy intake w 6637, ccv mod, pyro, boost, trans gauges, 3" dp to 4" single exh. super chips for now. scangauge
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc753 View Post
Besides there is absolutely no way to idiot proof something, since they are always coming out with better idiots by the day
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 02:56 AM
PSN Local

Agreed, coming from a guy who's lost a vacuum pump a 60mph, pedal will go rock hard while you say your prayers trying to get it stopped

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedge8 View Post
well the sea foam into the vacuum pump is a new one
generally you can't make the vacuum pump work better and if you damaged the booster the pedal would be harder. So that means you don't have a vacuum problem, you have a mechanical brake problem. Most likely its a bad master cyl but could also be brake line leaking or rear brakes bad: axle seals leaking onto shoes is common. On my truck I can't get the rears to lock and that in turns into the front wheels locking prematurely
Yeah it is definitely a new one. Thats what I get for not learning about this truck before messing with stuff lol.

Alright I will see if I can see anything when I rotate the tires and see if anyone can help me try and bleed the brakes. It looks like it had a new brake line on the front too, so I am hopping someone didn't bleed it right. I did just remember that when I first bought the truck in texas, the front driverside locked up super easy (the side with the new brake line). Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudmouth View Post
Agreed, coming from a guy who's lost a vacuum pump a 60mph, pedal will go rock hard while you say your prayers trying to get it stopped
Definitely not something I want to happen especially when I put 37's on lol. My first insticnt is to start using the trans, so hopefully I can get it stopped soon enough. Thanks for the tip

04 cobra - MMR 5.0 stroker, 3.4 whipple, e-85, 30psi of boost when the belt doesn't slip
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
96 f-250, diamond eye catless / mufflerless, DIY 6637, white rodgers 586-902, marinco mod, Denso High torque gear reduction starter, led door and dome lights, and PHP hydra for now.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 03:36 PM
R.I.P

Check the fitting on the rear drums, mine were leaking there. i could tell how bad because it left stains on the tire. Also check the brake lines headed to the rear drums mine blew out next to the tank selector and so did my dads and a couple friends had it happen to. Hope any of this helps

1997 F350 7.3 Powerstroke, 4x4, 135,400 miles, 4 1/2" up front 2" out back, 35" Kuhmo M/T's, 3" dp, 4" with no cat, K&N, Triple Auto Meter Gauges, IDM Mod, rebuilt E4OD, Beans Tunes
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 10:47 PM
SIZE MATTERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudmouth View Post
I hear you on that one. I had mine go out a little bit ago getting off the freeway doin 85mph on a short off ramp lol I just about #### my self when the pedal went to the floor. Thank god there was no cars in front of me!

- 96 F250 XCSB PSD Auto 255,000 mi -
- 96 F350 CCLB PSD 5spd 98,000 mi-
3" Body lift and Leveling Kit
285/75-16 Federal Couriga Mt
3" DP to 4" to 8" Cat Stack
TS 6 Position Chip
GlowShift - EGT, Boost and Trans
CCV Mod
FRP Shim
EBPV Brake
AirLift Bags

To Come.........
4X4 Conversion, Stage 1's, E-Fuel, Adrenaline HPOP, Intercooler
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 04:42 PM
PSN Local

I had the rear brake lockup issue and soft pedal this winter. Mine actually turned out to be a easy fix. One of the springs on the rear drums had broke causing the brakes to wander and jamb up when they were applied. $10 spring kit and a few hours and i was good to go. Did e brake cables while i was in their
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 04:51 PM
<----Nice headlights!!!

If its not somehting obvious like the brake pads are worn then you've got to bleed/drain the system. Your avatar says 04...in it. You do in fact have an obs though?

Check the rear drums out. It could be what the guy above me said. Or the rear wheel cylinder could be leaking. Those parts are cheap so tear it apart and overhaul the brakes. Bleed em...you should be fine.

You know brake fluid gets old right? Especially the stuff in/near the caliper. On a saturday morning you get up early go out crack the bleeders on your brakes, it'll gravity bleed. Then after a couple hours close em back up and check the fluid level. Lets the burnt crap out and prolongs the life of your calipers and drumtype brakes

2000 F250 4x4 cc/sb. 6" w/37's and some other stuff.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrock View Post
I had the rear brake lockup issue and soft pedal this winter. Mine actually turned out to be a easy fix. One of the springs on the rear drums had broke causing the brakes to wander and jamb up when they were applied. $10 spring kit and a few hours and i was good to go. Did e brake cables while i was in their
Hmm thats pretty good to know! I will check it out here soon too. I will look at the e-brake cables, but my e-brake seems to work good. Does everyone's e-brake lock up the rear tires if they slam on it on the road? Mine doesn't, but I assume it's just because it's a heavy truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
If its not somehting obvious like the brake pads are worn then you've got to bleed/drain the system. Your avatar says 04...in it. You do in fact have an obs though?

Check the rear drums out. It could be what the guy above me said. Or the rear wheel cylinder could be leaking. Those parts are cheap so tear it apart and overhaul the brakes. Bleed em...you should be fine.

You know brake fluid gets old right? Especially the stuff in/near the caliper. On a saturday morning you get up early go out crack the bleeders on your brakes, it'll gravity bleed. Then after a couple hours close em back up and check the fluid level. Lets the burnt crap out and prolongs the life of your calipers and drumtype brakes
Yeah I have a 97 CCSB. The 04 is because I use to ride an 04 yfz 450 quad when I was younger, and thats where my screen name came from lol.

Those are all some good things to look into, thanks! Yeah I know brake fluid gets old and sucked. I was hoping I could wait for a disc brake rear conversion and new front brake parts before so I could flush the fluid then. I suck with drum brakes, so when I put a 9" in my ranger I put disc brakes on it

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2011, 02:49 AM
<----Nice headlights!!!

Well most of the time barring mechanical failure the soft pedal is caused by air in the system...

2000 F250 4x4 cc/sb. 6" w/37's and some other stuff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode