no electrical power - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

no electrical power

my 97 has been sitting in shop for a couple months.usually go start it up and let it run for 15 min or so,every few weeks.

fri 3/25 decide its time to get truck out,wash it and start driving it again.starts fine.scangauge shows voltage a little lower than normal,12.8 vs 14.2.think no big deal been sitting,let truck run 15-20 min.drive truck about a 1/8 of a mile to wash truck.

wash truck maybe 30 min total with ignition in acc(radio on).truck cranks fine.pull back around front,shut off, acc on radio,gonna start cleaning interior.

radio for roughly 15 min and shuts off like turned ignition off.wth try to turn ignition on to crank,nothing.pop hood start checking fuses in distribution block,no power at fuses.pull all maxi fuses and replace,then int light comes back on,ok no big deal.figure i would check the scangauge for codes,there was 2 codes one was for the cps,and dont remember the other code think it was a 6## code, just for s&g's.no power again(interior light out),check fuses nothing.batteries have power,starter has power going to it,turn ignition switch on no power,no electrical power in cab,no headlights,nothing .

i have heard of some trucks having ignition switch issues.anybody have/got any ideas?,anything i'm missing or overlooking.

sorry for the long post,but wanted to give as much info as i could to possibly help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

97 f-350 psd
96 f-350 psd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 03:33 AM
PSN Veteran

Re: no electrical power

Have the batteries been checked disconnected from everything (and each other)? Is there voltage at the hot side of the Glow Plug Relay (key off)? Voltage at the alternator (black orange wire, key off)? Voltage at feed to the underhood fusebox (yellow wire. key off)? Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 06:04 AM
Demon Dually

Send a message via AIM to speeddemon31176 Send a message via Yahoo to speeddemon31176

Do the checks Pat suggested. It sounds like either you have bad connections at the battery terminals or your alternator was not performing correctly and you drained the batteries down too far.

97 F-350 XLT CC DRW 4X4 PSD, 285/75-16 Custom bumpers, Gauges-boost/egt/trans, Swamps IDM, 3.5"dp- 4" exh., 3" Body lift, ES bushings/mounts, Built trans, billet conv, B&M pan, Hayden cooler, Adrenaline, stage 2's, IC, H2E, E-fuel
ARP's, 910's, Smith Bros. to come

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
PSN Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Feeley View Post
Have the batteries been checked disconnected from everything (and each other)? Is there voltage at the hot side of the Glow Plug Relay (key off)? Voltage at the alternator (black orange wire, key off)? Voltage at feed to the underhood fusebox (yellow wire. key off)? Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddemon31176 View Post
Do the checks Pat suggested. It sounds like either you have bad connections at the battery terminals or your alternator was not performing correctly and you drained the batteries down too far.
thanks guys.i will try those checks one night or this weekend

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

97 f-350 psd
96 f-350 psd
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 01:38 AM
PSN Local

I would suggest that if your scangauge said the batteries were at 12.8 volts after startup, the alternator was not charging the batts. They should be around 14 after startup which means they are being charged by the alternator. As previously stated, I think the batteries are too low to start the truck. Check the battery cable connections at the battery posts and make sure they read 14ish. If they don't, you may have a bad alternator. If they do, then you have a bad connection at the post. I found that if you notch the post with a screwdriver, slide the connections over the post and twist the connections you will get a better connection. Another thing, if you can twist off the battery cable without loosening the connector nut, your cables are too loose.

Scott

'97 F250 CC SB - Dana 60 Swap, 4.10s, Tymar intake, 3" DP, 5" Diamond Eye straight pipe, ISSPRO Gauges (Boost, Pyro, Trans), Tru-Cool Max trans cooler, Swamps IDM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode