'97 7.3 won't start unless... - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

'97 7.3 won't start unless...

the block heater is plugged in for a couple of hours.
I live in Alberta, so it does get cool here. Normally this truck will start easily in 23 degree weather without being plugged in. Now it won't start if left overnight without the block heater plugged in. It will just turn over and over. If I plug it in for a couple of hours it fires right up. Here's what I know...
  • Batteries show full charge in the morning on my DVM.
    I see my Tach move when cranking and to my ear its cranks at the usual speed.
    Oil level is good.
    Oil changes and filters done regularily.
    Fuel in the tanks
    The "wait to start light" comes on and off like it usually does.
Should I concentrate on proving the issue to be Glow Plugs? I have checked the library here and found info on how to check the Glow Plug relay as well as how to R&R the Glow Plugs. Am I heading up the right path? Thanks guys. This is a fantastic site. - Darrell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 05:35 PM
psdguy97

Re: '97 7.3 won't start unless...

Have your gp's been replaced?

95 F-250 ECLB

6637 air intake, 3 inch dp to 4 inch exhaust, EBPV delete, ccv mod, glowshift gauges ( fuel pressure, boost, trans temp, pyrometer ) Dp tuner ( no start, stock, 80hp econo, 60hp tow)

Cobra 29 classic w/nightwatch, Wilson 1000 magnet mount, weather guard backrack, code 3 lightbar.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Not since I have owned truck, which is 3 years.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 05:40 PM
psdguy97

I would say it's time for new gp's man. While your in there I would change your uvch and gasket. As well as a new gp relay. That way your set for a long time.

95 F-250 ECLB

6637 air intake, 3 inch dp to 4 inch exhaust, EBPV delete, ccv mod, glowshift gauges ( fuel pressure, boost, trans temp, pyrometer ) Dp tuner ( no start, stock, 80hp econo, 60hp tow)

Cobra 29 classic w/nightwatch, Wilson 1000 magnet mount, weather guard backrack, code 3 lightbar.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 05:42 PM
Harl

Send a message via AIM to Harl

Check the glow plug relay.. Sometimes they will burn up. Sometimes cycleing the key a few times will help to if the relay isnt bad.

Cody,17
DD-1996 F250 Powerstroke, 5speed, 4x4 ecsb

Mods: GlowShift Gauges-Boost, Pryo, Oil psi and Fuel psi. DIY 6637 Intake, 160/100's, Wildman 6pos, Stage 2 water/meth, D66, TE HPOP, Vailer Clutch, Custom Bars and 5in turbo back....

PT-1995 F350- totaled
Soon to be brought back to a 1992

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for the quick answer psdguy. I'm no diesel mechanic but with sites like this that tap into helpful peeps like you, cheep guys like me get "er" done. Thanks for the help. BTW, would you be comfortable buying these parts at an auto parts store? -Darrell
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 06:52 PM
PSN Veteran

no, order the zx-11 motorcraft glow plugs, the others can swell in the head and cause you great deals of pain!! also do the glow plug relay from stancor.
i think someone on here offers the entire kit with all the right stuff for your convienence!

Chris

Moore, Oklahoma

1996 Ford F350 4x4 Crew Cab PSD
6637 tymar
285-75-16 BFG All Terrains/Weld Wheels
3:55 gears
Automatic with billet convertor, tugger and alto discs
New Gearhead Tunes:
1 heavy tow
2 stealth mode
3 tow/econ
4 street perf
5 all out
6 high idle
1.0 housing
exhaust
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Thanks for the tip zilla, I will see if I can find who you are talking about there.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 07:59 PM
psdguy97

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyLogic View Post
Thanks for the quick answer psdguy. I'm no diesel mechanic but with sites like this that tap into helpful peeps like you, cheep guys like me get "er" done. Thanks for the help. BTW, would you be comfortable buying these parts at an auto parts store? -Darrell
No problem dude. I'm no diesel mechanic either but this site has taught me a lot. I just did gps for the first time the other day an it's not hard. Just take your time. And no I wouldn't buy this kind of stuff from a local part store. Always motor craft stuff when it comes to motor parts. And I would go with a stancor relay as satiated above.

95 F-250 ECLB

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2011, 08:01 PM
psdguy97

I believe some of the sponsors on here sell gps. They might be cheaper than going to ford.

95 F-250 ECLB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode