kinda long story but need some help/advice - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 05:53 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

kinda long story but need some help/advice

Ok, so this all started about 3 weeks ago when we had a snow squall and a cold snap go thru our area. I had plug my truck in the night before and had it parked in the garage all night and went out first thing in the a.m. to go to work and go to start the truck to let it warm up. It starts right up like it always has, and I am watching the stock oil pressure gauge waiting for the pressure to come up and it doesnt come up after the trucks been running about 15 seconds. I'm just about to shut off the truck worrying about no oil pressure when it just dies like someone hit a switch. So the first thing I do is check the engine oil and it is about 2 quarts low which I thought was odd as I had just changed the oil about a week before and this truck NEVER uses oil. So I jump back in and try to start and there is no starting it. Well, it was a really crazy week that week and I didn't have time to monkey with it so I had it pulled down to a local mechanics shop a neighbor recommended. They tried to put it on a scanner but got no communication with the PCM, put new batteries in it, checked the glowplugs and found the GPR was on all the time. When they called me I told them they had to remove the chip to be able to scan it and when they did they told me they still could not get communication, so ended up with a used PCM. Meanwhile, I am reading all the posts I can here on PSN and the low oil keeps nagging at me. Well, the mechanic at this shop tells me that he checked the fuel bowl and saw no oil and once they installed the other PCM it got the truck started and let it run for about an hour. After this they check the oil and it is 4 quarts down. So, new GPR, PCM, and fuel filter and $1003 later, I have a truck with an oil consumption problem, takes long to start (like 10-15 seconds of cranking) and no chip in the PCM so it acts like a doggy POS. My guess is I have a fuel issue and am thinking injector o-rings or HPOP. The truck has 157,000 miles and within the 2 years that I have owned it, the only trouble I have ever had is a bad vacuum pump. So what do you guys think? I just don't want to go chasing down the wrong rabbit hole with this thing. I can't afford too many more of those $1k bills

'97 F-250HD Crew Cab 4X4 short box
7.3 Powerstroke with 3" downpipe and 4" straight thru exhaust and a Diablo sport chip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Re: kinda long story but need some help/advice

Oh, and I forgot to mention after I got the truck home, I started to do some checking and it took 1/2 quart for the 4 mile drive home. I checked the fuel bowl and didn't see any oil floated in the fuel but had a black film around the outer edge of the fuel bowl. Also now when I start the truck it seems to smoke black to dark grey smoke for quite a while. And one more question, is there any way to check the old PCM out off of the truck? I had them put it in the backseat rather than pitch it out.

7.3 Powerstroke with 3" downpipe and 4" straight thru exhaust and a Diablo sport chip
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

any one?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 07:48 PM
PSN Local

I don't think there is anything wrong with your PCM...switch it again and see if it starts ... you could always sell it or keep it as a spare I guess ...Looks like you have to replace your Injector o-rings soon... mine just stopped running one day ... yours will too...make sure you buy the good o-rings... International was cheaper here...

95 E350 Cargo, E4OD , B/M aluminium Pan / 2 HD Trans coolers , Dana 60FF 3:55 , 140 V idm , Autometer guages , TDEO Dp flashed 60 Tow , EBPV delete , BB shim , cat sleeps with the fishes, Timbren SES, stage 1's coming soon
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 08:18 PM
Terminator Nation

Sounds like blown injector oring causing oil to recirculate into fuel system and then burning off in cylinder. Buy the Ford or IH orings, some of the ebay ones are junk.

Also check cigarette lighter fuse, this fuse also powers up diagnostic port.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 08:30 PM
SLOW LEARNER

So no check engine light(cel)? Have you checked the HPOP res to see if its full before you start it? There's a small allen head plug on top of the res. The oil level should be an inch from the top. bump........

94 F250 4x4 SC Origanlly IDI,Currently 97 PSD,F350 springs,axles,all of the below.38R 1.15AR,CON OFE,TW 6 Position,Tymar,DP,Adrenaline,Straight piped,Stage II injectors,Electric fuel,6.0 IC,Guages
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Nope, no CEL. Hasn't been one thru this whole ordeal. I check HPOP oil level just before last time I started it. Oil was about 1/2 inch from bottom of check plug hole. I'll have to check the cig lighter fuse tonite. My thinking has been injector o-rings also, but thought some confirmation and alternate ideas would be good before I tear into to her. I have turned a few wrenches on gas trucks, but this is my first diesel.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 08:49 PM
PSN Veteran

My old 94 never used oil in the first 175k miles. Right after changing the oil at that point, the truck used 8 quarts in 150 miles. The culprit was injector o-rings. The fuel drained out of the bowl was black as coal (but I will qualify that as the tank I was running on was almost empty ... if your tank has more fuel in it, the fuel/oil mixture will be more diluted. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

ok, check the cig. lighter fuse tonite and it was fine. I've resigned myself that is o-rings and ordered them thru dieselorings.com and made sure they were the Alliant o-rings. I'm going to pick up Motorcraft glow plugs at O'reilly's tomorrow, figured I might as well change those out while I have it opened up. So, my next question is where is the best place to buy valve cover gaskets and uvch's? And Patrick, once you changed the oil rings did that cure the oil consumpion on your rig?

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 03:13 AM
PSN Veteran

Yes it did. There were more than a few that looked like they had been chewed on. I would check a local International dealer for the VC gaskets and UVCHs. You could also check with Powerstrokeshop.com or Tousley Ford Parts (Tousley seems to be cheaper on factory parts these days). I much prefer the factory stuff over the Dorman stuff available from the auto parts places (even if they are a bit more cash). Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4, E4OD, 4.10 LS, Basically Stock, Relocated Block Heater Plug, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode