rear fuel tank removal - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 04:58 AM Thread Starter
PSN Local

rear fuel tank removal

What is the best way to remove a rear fuel tank on and obs? Mine has been leaking for a while now, and my brothers just started, so I figured that it's time to try and get it fixed. What normally goes wrong with them, is there a certain wear point?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 05:10 AM
GO SHARKS

Re: rear fuel tank removal

you should just pull it and invest the money in getting a new bigger tank from rock auto More Information for SPECTRA PREMIUM F26D Ive heard the easiest way to drop it is if you pull the bed. Plus if you get the bigger tank you can coat it with a heavy duty rubber coating.

It is on my list for upgrades soon.

1997 F250 4x4 Auto, 6637 Intake, Trucool 4739. 3"DP to 4"SP. Autometer Z-series EGT,Boost, Tranny temp. EBPV Delete Pedistal
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 07:36 AM
PSN Veteran

Get the 26E as it does not have a vent support inside the filler neck on the tank. I did the 26D and tried to mess with the vent support and ended up breaking the whole filler neck out of the tank....hahaha no big deal I just re-soldered it back in....but I also left the vent support in to....though I would leave well enough alone after dickin with it. It's not a big deal to leave in just a heads up that if you order on get the F26E...

I did mine and left the box on the truck wasn't a big deal. I did use a couple of those one handed bar clamps from sears to help hold the tank and skid plates in place as I did the job by myself. yup I coated mine with black undercoating.

The only downside now is filling the dang thing here in Canuck land at around $5.00 a gallon bit of a pout fest when I have to fill all the tanks 405 litres at $1.24 is right close to $500.00.....pass the cheese puulleese.....hahahaa

jrc

Tan white tan 97 ECLB, D60 PMF, RSK SD springs front, airs bags rear, 4:10, intake, FFD 205/30s, DP 4” exhaust DIY E-fuel, ZF-5 now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
B&W turnover 5th wheel with Anderson hitch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 VW Touareg TDi Rawtek exhaust Malone tuned.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 02:59 PM
PSN Veteran

can you see the leak? if it looks like it is coming from the top of the tank you may just need new o-rings in the line fittings.

drain tank
remove spare
remove skid plate ( if equiped)
with a jack (and peice of wood ro balance on)
loosen the straps and lower the tank enough to get the lines off with the line tool,and unplug the sending unit harness.
lower tank .

Blue 2012 XLT SCLB 4X4 , 38,550 miles, 3:55's & 18's Camper and Tow packages. Edge insight, Airlift Wireless compressor & Air Bag set-up, Dieslesite filter.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 03:27 PM
PSN Local

I replaced mine and we pulled the spare tire out and the plates that cover the bottom of the tank and it wasn't bad at all, cleaned the plates up and slid the new tank in place. I just replaced with a replacement factory tank and have had no issues with it since.

'97 F-250HD, DIY intake, 5" Mitre Cut Stacks, Bully Dog 6 pos, Gauges.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode