Fuel pump? - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

Fuel pump?

Hi guys,

Got my truck out after sitting all winter, and it ran fine. Switched fuel tanks, and it died about a minute later. Won't start now. The fuel bowl is half full, and fuel will not pump into it. The fuel in the bowl was clean, and the filter is new (less than 2000 miles). The tank selector valve is clicking, so I assume that isn't the problem.

I can't hear the fuel pump running when turning the key to 'on'. Is the pump you hear when you turn the key to 'on' the pump in the valley? I guess I assumed that sound was an electric pump.

Really don't know what to do at this point. Replace the pump in the valley? Why would it have died right after switching tanks?

Thanks for the help!

1997 F350 CC DRW: 55K miles. Tymar intake, 7.3 Intercooler, CCV mod, Air Lift air bags & compressor, Dp-Tuner F5, Isspro gauges, Hadley horn, Cody gooseneck hitch, DIY rhino liner, 2008 diff cover and sweet mudflaps!!!.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 03:03 AM

Re: Fuel pump?

You wont hear the pump run as it is mechanical (in the valley). There is no electrice pump on the OBS trucks.

Did you switch back to the first tank and check to see if it is pumping?

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

It won't pump on either tank.

What fills the fuel bowl after you change the fuel filter? Something has to prime it before you start the engine?

1997 F350 CC DRW: 55K miles. Tymar intake, 7.3 Intercooler, CCV mod, Air Lift air bags & compressor, Dp-Tuner F5, Isspro gauges, Hadley horn, Cody gooseneck hitch, DIY rhino liner, 2008 diff cover and sweet mudflaps!!!.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasd View Post
It won't pump on either tank.

What fills the fuel bowl after you change the fuel filter? Something has to prime it before you start the engine?
The pump in the valley. It is a two stage, the first stage draws fuel in from the tank through the filter housing and the second pushes fuel to the heads.

I believe they usually start seaping as compared to just going out. I would checke all of the hoses to ensure there are no breaks.

'97 SCLB 4x4, 3.55, D60 w/ TrueTrac, 6637, Banks Techni-cooler, BTS Trans, Tru-Cool 4921 Trans Cooler, 1.0 exhaust housing, no ebv, 3" DP, Straight Exhaust, E-Fuel, TW tunes, International WP, 203*, Isspro Gauges
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

So would it be possible for there to be algae in the tank and the fuel line to be plugged? I wouldn't think that the pump would stop working a minute after switching tanks.

So the pump in the valley is electric also? Is that how it 'primes' the fuel filter without turning over the engine?

Thanks for the help. Really appreciate it!

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 02:39 PM
PSN Veteran

No the pump is mechanical on our trucks (94-97) the 99 and up are electric most of us do an electric conversion for bigger injectors, and to clean up the valley. Leave the lid off and have someone crank it over lightly and see if you are getting any fuel or air bubbles. Is the any fuel in the valley around the pump? They usually leak a bit before they die; there is a weep hole on the side of the pump.

Blue 2012 XLT SCLB 4X4 , 38,550 miles, 3:55's & 18's Camper and Tow packages. Edge insight, Airlift Wireless compressor & Air Bag set-up, Dieslesite filter.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

I haven't tried to crank it over with the fuel filter lid off. I have only turned to key to the 'on' position. I figured the lid needed to be on to create a vacuum.

What I don't understand is, how does the fuel bowl fill after changing the filter without turning over the engine?

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasd View Post
I haven't tried to crank it over with the fuel filter lid off. I have only turned to key to the 'on' position. I figured the lid needed to be on to create a vacuum.

What I don't understand is, how does the fuel bowl fill after changing the filter without turning over the engine?
It doesn't....unless you or someone before you put an electric pump on the truck.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
PSN Newb

There aren't any pumps in the fuel tanks like on a gas engine, right? The mechanical pump in the valley draws fuel out of the tanks.

I know that there isn't a pump between the selector valve and the mechanical pump in the valley. That I'm sure of. I wouldn't think there is one past the selector valve between the tanks either.

I'm just trying to figure out why I always cycled the key without turning the engine over to prime the filter. I know you could hear something running when turing the key.

It just seems odd that the pump died when the tanks were switched. I know I can hear the selector valve working, so that's not the problem.

Again, thanks for the help. Hope you guys don't think I'm too crazy!

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 03:41 PM

No pumps in the tank...just the mechanical in the valley of the motor.

The wait to start is for the glow plugs to cycle. It's possible you have a buzzing glow plug relay, that may be what you heard.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode